A request

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

A request

Post by knitwit45 »

Heads up! Meet Me In St. Louis is on TCM tonight, and I have a small request. If anyone recognizes the pretty girl who sits next to Judy Garland on the trolley, and then gives up her seat to Tom Drake, please tell me her name! Moraldo, aka Jack Burley and I have been trying to find out her name since I first joined the TCM message boards, back in 2005. I see her now and then in MGM musicals, but never a listed name. She has a beautiful smile, and is a terrific "re-acter" to whatever is going on in the scene.

Any help will be deeply appreciated! (and I have an inside track with Santa!) 8) 8)

Nancy
[youtube][/youtube]
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hope someone can help you Nancy, I can't but I love the film and I love the clip.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'll be sure to tell Father Christmas all about your "good thoughts", Alison!
:D :D

to clarify the clip I posted: You don't see my mystery lady till the last part of the song. She wears a red sash and hair bow. Helen Walker has been mention numerous times, but this is a different person.
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Not Helen Gilbert? On IMDb, she's listed as the uncredited "Girl on Trolley".
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yeah, how about Helen Gilbert?
I can't post photos from here, Nancy, but take a look at this - it's a cheesecakey kind of photo, but maybe it will look familiar to you. According to this website, Gilbert was married at one time to Lana Turner's infamous ex, Johnny Stampanato.

http://people.famouswhy.com/helen_gilbert/
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Here's a photo of Helen Gilbert that does look like a bit like the girl on the trolley with the pigtails:
Helen Gilbert is someone who impressed me very favorably with a performance that she gave in Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever (1941). Yeah, I know, how could anyone tell if any acting was going on in a picture with that one man showboat, Mickey Rooney? Well, she did it by being very quiet and stole (or was awarded?) a few scenes with the boy dynamo, who falls in love with her character, an "older woman", a teacher at Carver High. You might want to check this movie out when it is broadcast on Dec 26, 10:30AM on TCM, (it is only on vhs).
Helen is the serious girl on the left with her hand on Andy's shoulder. I wonder which MGM producer she told to take a flying leap, leading her to date and even marry a bum like Johnny Stompanato while her career dwindled down to appearances as "Uncredited Girl on Trolley". My! They weren't teaching those girls in the MGM stable good taste in men, were they?

I don't know if that is the girl you are looking for, but it might be. Good luck, Nancy.
Last edited by moira finnie on December 5th, 2008, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Helen Gilbert, Helen Walker....both pretty ladies, but the one I'm looking for is quite brunette. She is on JG's LEFT at the end of the song, and gives up her seat to Tom Drake. I think Ms. Gilbert is in the scene, but on JG's other side, wearing a hat full of flowers.

Thanks! and keep looking, please!