*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

myrnaloyisdope wrote: Also thanks for the Ginger Rogers' pic, I would love to have seen that deleted scene from Gold Diggers of 1933, my guess is that's her singing "I've Got To Sing A Torch Song", I have an MP3 of it, but it's a shame that a Busby Berkeley number is likely lost.
Really? Is the mp3 downloadable someplace? I've now got earworm and need to get Dick Powell out of my head!
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Really? Is the mp3 downloadable someplace? I've now got earworm and need to get Dick Powell out of my head!
Not a Dick Powell fan?

PM me with your email address, and I'll email it to you.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, for it's time frame in the 1930s I believe that Harlow's mom looks appropriate. And no doubt that Harlow got her looks from her mom.

MynaLoy, I'm glad that you enjoyed the images. Perhaps one day the deleted scene with Ginger Rogers will be found and spliced back into "Gold Diggers of 1933". It's happened before, especially with "King Kong".

Rugged Charles Bronson at the end of his days and in his prime

Silent screen star Louise Brooks past her prime and as the daring Lulu

Gene Kelly with wife Betsy Blair (Clara in "Marty") and daughter Kerry

Betty Hutton shows up at Dorothy Lamour's baby shower in 1945

Judy Garland with her kids Liza, Joey and Lorna

Lex Barker (Tarzan) out geese hunting with actor Robert Ryan in 1946

Rosalind Russell has a makeup break with Robert Cummings in "Tell It to the Judge" (1949)

Lovely Loretta Young making one of her trademark entrances on her TV show in 1953

WEDDING BELLS

Humphrey Bogart to Lauren Bacall on 5/21/45 thru 1/14/57 (his death)

John Agar to Shirley Temple (17) on 9/19/45 thru 12/5/49

Frank Sinatra to Ava Gardner on 11/7/51 thru 7/5/57

William Grant Sherry to Bette Davis on 11/30/45 thru 7/3/50

Grace Kelly won for "The Country Girl" in 1955

George Chakiris sharing the news that he and Rita Moreno won for "West Side Story" in 1961

Audrey Hepburn won for best actress in "Roman Holiday" in 1954

Child actress Edna May Wonacott & Alfred Hitchcock discuss her role in "Shadow of a Doubt"
(she is now 77)

Celeste Holm gets a lift from an elephant for a charity event in 1948

Lena Horne takes time to freshen up in 1993

James Stewart dancing with the diminutive Helen Hayes

A weary Joseph Cotten and a chipper Gregory Peck on the set of "Duel In the Sun"

Ronald Colman chatting and dining with Claudette Colbert in 1948

Rudolph Valentino apparently excited being nex to Pola Negri

Rita Hayworth enjoying some time at the beach

Alice Faye and husband Phil Harris at a gala event for President Harry S. Truman in 1949

Dean Martin & John Wayne making spaghetti in a big-a pot like my mama use to

Mary Astor, Lupe Velez & Henry Wilcoxon at charity event for stray dogs in 1938
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'd heard that those crazy eyebrows were because the studio shaved them off and pencilled in 'better ones'. Nobody told the fans leading to some women to go made with the tweezers. When eyebrows came back into fashion the actresses just grew theirs again but the poor old fans couldn't :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Have y'all been seeing the Jack Benny tribute show that's been playing on PBS lately? It showed a scene where comedians are explaining to Jack what influence he's had on fellow performers. For instance, the way he makes an entrance has inspired fellow artists and is being copied. Jack beams, "Really? Who copies my entrance?" Loretta Young.

I wonder if Edna May Wonacott is in good health; and if so, if anyone has approached her to make appearances. I'd love to hear her talk about her experience of working with Hitchcock.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get some cold cream and a soft cloth to help Deanna Durbin out of that first picture...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:I wonder if Edna May Wonacott is in good health; and if so, if anyone has approached her to make appearances. I'd love to hear her talk about her experience of working with Hitchcock.
Edna May's family and friends have been in touch via the TCM Blog in response to this article about her by blogger Medusa called "My Favorite Bookworm or: Where in the World is Edna May Wonacott?"
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

moirafinnie wrote:
Moraldo Rubini wrote:I wonder if Edna May Wonacott is in good health; and if so, if anyone has approached her to make appearances. I'd love to hear her talk about her experience of working with Hitchcock.
Edna May's family and friends have been in touch via the TCM Blog in response to this article about her by blogger Medusa called "My Favorite Bookworm or: Where in the World is Edna May Wonacott?"
Wow, that thread became a veritable family reunion! Fun reading, Moira. Thanks. Now, I wonder if some impresario out there can book the film and have Ms. [Wonacott] Green make an appearance. I'd be there in a heartbeat!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Edna May Wonacott certainly was a natural in her role as Ann Newton in "Shadow of a Doubt".
Perhaps TCM can snag her for mini spot one day in connection to the movie. If only.

Louis Jourdan & wife Berthe taking shelter during a nightclub riot in 1949

Actor Dennis O'Keefe inspecting damage caused by Howard Hughes plane crash in 1946

Maureen O'Hara and daughter Bronwyn saving valuables from brush fire in 1961

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JAMES DEAN born 2/8/31

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LANA TURNER born 2/8/21

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JACK LEMMON born 2/8/25

Shirley Jones and hands-on-hips Kim Novak ready for the paparazzi in 1962

Gloria Stuart (now 98) & Hillary Brooke visiting soldiers during WWII

Claudette Colbert & Bette Davis at Frank Capra AFI tribute in 1982
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Wow, that photo of Dennis O'Keefe looking at the crash of the XF-11 flown by Howard Hughes into those homes in Beverly Hills made me wonder if it was his house that was damaged. According to what I found, O'Keefe lived at 802 North Linden Drive just down the street from the four homes (some accounts say three homes, but all say that one was a total loss after a gas line exploded) that were damaged by the craft. O'Keefe called the fire department to bring help to the scene. The actor is looking at the remains of a Dr. Jules Zimmerman's house at 803 North Linden Drive after the crash.

Mongo, do you have any idea where, when and what the nightclub riot in the picture with the Louis Jourdans was about back in '49?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, thanks for the additional info regarding the Howard Hughes plane crash in Beverly Hills.
The info regarding the nightclub riot was limited. I also did some research and came up empty.

Actor John Payne quenching his thirst at the beach

The one and only Marie Dressler, the flower of the chorus line

Rita Hayworth & Glenn Ford chewing the fat on the set of "Gilda"

Larry Parks & Evelyn Keyes having an ice cream soda at Schwabs in 1946

Orson Welles removing make up from his "Citizen Kane" character

Joan Blondell getting into it at the fights with husband Mike Todd in 1948

Eddie Bracken with wife Connie and their five children in 1954
(reminiscent to "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" in which Bracken starred)

Dick Powell and children celebrating mom June Allyson's birthday in 1955

Judy Garland beaming with her daughter Liza in 1946

Unusual threesome Linda Blair, Keith Moon & Linda Lovelace

Rare image of closeness between sisters Joan Fontaine & Olivia de Havilland in 1942

Unusual threesome Lou Costello, Elvis Presley & Jane Russell

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ROBERT WAGNER CELEBRATING HIS 79th BIRTHDAY AS OF TUESDAY, 2/10/09. (Born 2/10/30)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Conductor/Composer JERRY GOLDSMITH (2/10/29 - 7/21/04)

Mercedes McCambridge in the midst of the Democratic Convention in 1960

Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy putting on the charm with Billie Dove in 1932

Bing Crosby feeling no pain at a New Years Eve party
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Poor Judy looks so small and frail in that picture.

Until I read Joan Blondell's biography I had no idea she had been married to Mike Todd. Quite a rough marriage too by all accounts. He must have been better matched to Liz Taylor.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Have y'all seen the snippets of latter day Eddie Bracken that TCM's been playing lately? I'm not sure when it was shot, but he looks great! Full head of beautiful snowy white hair, brimming with health. He aged so gracefully!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Marco, Eddie Bracken did indeed age gracefully. Unfortunately he died of complications from surgery at age 87. His wife Connie of 63 years died two months prior.

CCfan, you'd be surprised who was married to who in LaLa Land. Marco is surprised most of the time.
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Carry on, I love learning :wink:
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

mongoII wrote:CCfan, you'd be surprised who was married to who in LaLa Land. Marco is surprised most of the time.
(Giggle) There were definitely a lot of odd couples as the real world collided with the images of the stars. Publicity departments would design these images for us, but their actual lives reveal more complex characters than those on the covers of the tabloids.