A Propos of Nothing

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Bryce, your essay on the oil industry does, I think, make my point: Whether America appeases or excoriates it, I'm wondering why we bother at all? Why are we so worried about petroleum, when there are other sources of energy? Who cares who is sitting on it - let's pass on it and move on to something better. Petroleum doesn't just mean gasoline; it means non-biodegradable plastics, and so much else that needs to be controlled, or avoided.

I'm afraid I don't believe that OPEC, and those international toadies who kiss its collective behinds, aren't responsible for where we are now. Whatever the American oil industry (and I mean the Bushes in particular) has done to make things worse, they have done it with the full approval, and very likely at the instigation of, that heinous cartel.

The idea I'm promulgating is that money now spent on enabling the oil industry would be better spent finding cleaner, renewable, and more realistic sources of energy for us. Just because it takes a lot money, time and carbon emissions to make fuel out of corncobs now, doesn't mean there isn't a better way to extract that fuel that someone just hasn't yet figured out.

What I'm saying is that throwing up our hands now because it all seems so bleak and ungovernable is a mistake. Sacrifice means different things to different people. Not driving a car means little to me -- I don't own one and don't really need one. But I know full well there are so many citizens out there whose livelihood depends on wheeled transportation, and they are the ones who need to speak up now; speak up, not just complain. There are solutions out there, some of them already on the table -- what needs to be done is to convince the complacent and greedy in positions of authority that it's in their financial interest to back such developments.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hey, everyone. Bellows Falls has arrived. The New York Times has an article about it today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/08/us/08 ... tml?ref=us
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Have you noticed that the appearance of many Barack Obama and Obama family lookalikes in TV commercials has begun? No doubt we will be bombarded with them in the next few months. Should be interesting.

In a similar vein, everything in NYC is coming up Inauguration Day lately, and all the stationery stores are selling Obama calendars, and there are street merchants selling all sorts of Obama-themed kitsch.

This morning I passed by one of the zillions of high-end coffee bars I pass on my way to the office. They have a chalkboard in front touting the specials of the day. There was a very well done chalk portrait of Mr. O on the board (in pink and blue), and a legend that said "Come in and try it! Blend 44." (As in 44th President)

It's a marketer's dream. I wonder what else they'll come up with besides the calendars, t-shirts, lapel buttons, key chains, and collectible coins and plates. Action figures? Fashion dolls modeled after the daughters?

And what about nicknames? I notice that the NY papers have stopped referring to Obama as "Bam." I believe he is called Bar and Barry by his friends, which seem like nice enough names; and Michelle is called Meesh, which may not be considered dignified enough by some. Chuck and Di. Bill and Hill. Bar and Meesh.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It will be interesting to see the DC traffic reports. Being this close to DC I'll get all kinds of extra coverage.

Oh, everyone don't forget to get those coin sets.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

After all the brou-ha-ha about the flag lapel pin, I don't think we have to worry about them.

As for names, Meesch is no worse than LBJ and Lady bird, Lindabird and (was it?) Lucybird? That bird bit always made me think what a kook she was.

My question which I meant to ask last week was: What do you think about that house (which is usually for the President elect's family) not being held empty for the O'Bama's? Knowing someone was coming in that house should have been held open and the visitor should have been put up in the hotel. I took the circumstances as a personal affront. Someone in Dubya's inner circle should have gotten a good dressing down (if not more) about it.
:cry: :x

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Anne,

Not knowing his genealogy in the least, I'll still venture a guess that Mr Obama is not Irish and hence doesn't have an apostrophe in his surname (O'Bama) as you entered earlier. Any takers want to tell me I'm wrong?

As always,

Hollis
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Below is the most concise version I found on the internet of the meaning of the president-to-be's full name, which was given him by his father. Note: the Arabic roots of these names do not mean that Obama is a practicing Muslim. He is a professed Christian and may be Irish on his mother's side, but does it really matter?

From BeliefNet:
The Senator's first name, Barack, is a Swahili name that has its origins in the Arabic language. The original Arabic root of the name (B-R-K) means "blessed." In Arabic, the root word is used in many other phrases to denote blessings and to describe people who are blessed:

* Mabruk! = "Congratulations!"
* Barakallah feek = "May God bless you"
* Barakah = blessings from God (feminine version of the name)

Senator Obama's middle name is Hussein, which was his grandfather's first name. The name, of Arabic origin, means "good" or "handsome one." It is common in Muslim cultures for children (both boys and girls) to have a middle name which directly connects them to their father or grandfather.

Senator Obama's surname is not uncommon among the Luo tribe, one of the three largest ethnic groups in Kenya. They speak the Dhoulou language.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Came across this in TCM's article on its latest Fobidden Hollywood collection, which features the work of William Wellman:

Also featured in secondary roles in this melodrama are James Cagney and Joan Blondell as a wisecracking waitress.

I guess it was a split shift at the diner.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

jdb1 wrote:Came across this in TCM's article on its latest Fobidden Hollywood collection, which features the work of William Wellman:

Also featured in secondary roles in this melodrama are James Cagney and Joan Blondell as a wisecracking waitress.

I guess it was a split shift at the diner.
LOL! Well, I always thought Cagney had a great set of gams. I'll have to check this movie out.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Thank you Nancy! I'm guilty as charged as far as smoking outdoors, but at at least my Subaru is a PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) and is cleaner than almost any other vehicle on the road except of course for an electric or hydrogen powered vehicle. It even pollutes less than some of the hybrid vehicle that are so popular these days. 30+ MPH on the highway and 25 MPH around town is more than respectable. I love my Subaru! Love, it's what makes a Subaru a Subaru!

As always,

Hollis