*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Alison,

No, you're not confused; you're just a victim of 'the change partners and dance' Hollywood social scene.
Norma Talmadge and Gilbert Roland were lovers before and after Joseph Schenk. At the same time Gloria Swanson and her French Marquis (Henri) were married.
1) Talmadge and Schenck divorce.
2) Talmadge and Roland continue on.
3) Swanson and Kennedy connect.
4) Swanson and the Marquis Henri divorce.
5) Constance Bennett marries Henri.
6) Swanson and Kennedy split.
7) Swanson marries Michael Farmer.
8) Talmadge and Roland split.
9) Talmadge marries George Jessel.
10) Talmadge and Jessel divorce.
11) Swanson and Farmer divorce.
12) Bennett and Henri divorce.
13) Talmadge and Schenk get back together but do not remarry.
14) Bennett and Roland marry.

All of this took place over 15 years or so but it was only 1 of 100's of scenarios taking place in Hollywood. Most, indeed all of it, was hush-hush and the public never knew any of it until just recently - the 70's & 80's, when they were all dead...

Larry

P.S.- there'll be a test on this tomorrow!!!
melwalton

marriages

Post by melwalton »

How did they keep track? Did they use twin beds?
Otherwise.... no, never mind. ... mel
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Wow Larry, that listing was a hoot. Hooray for Hollywood!

Grand character actor Eli Wallach with wife of 60 years Anne Jackson

Dream couple Bobby Darin & Sandra Dee in happier times

Marilyn Monroe wearing the original pantaloons before the change was approved by 20th Cenury-Fox to wear panties in "The Seven Year Itch"

James Stewart testing with Debra Paget for her role in "Broken Arrow" in 1949

Newlyweds Pearl Bailey & the late drummer Louis Bellson in 1952

Ann Sheridan relaxing at the Waldorf Hotel in New York in 1944

Dana Andrews Puff Puff

Anna Magnani Puff Puff

Burt Lancaster Puff Puff

Olivia de Havilland Puff Puff

Fantasy Wizard Walt Disney winning a gaggle of Oscars

Oscar winners Gregory Peck, Patty Duke, Joan Crawford (accepting for Anne Bancroft) and Ed Begley in 1963

Olivia de Havilland presenting Ronald Colman with his Oscar for "A Double Life" in 1948

Joan Fontaine possibly regretting her Oscar win for "Suspicion" with what was to come

A grateful looking James Stewart with his Oscar for "The Philadelphia Story" in 1941

Actor Marshall Thompson dating Elizabeth Taylor in 1948

Director George Cukor greeting Gene Tierney in 1958

Brazilian bombshell Carmen Miranda at a charity event in 1948

Paul Muni on the set of "Commandos Strike at Dawn" in 1942

Director Sam Wood, George Brent & Myrna Loy on the set of "Stamboul Quest"

W.C. Fields enjoying his time at the roller derby a favorite of his

Marlon Brando

Sean Connery

Marilyn Monroe
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Norma Talmadge and Georgie Jessel?! Okay, there's another odd couple. Pictures please.

:wink:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the highly amusing photo of the chihuahua stealing Carmen Miranda's thunder, Mongo!

I think that little pooch believed that "there are no small dogs, only small actors"...The colorful 5' Ms. Miranda always seemed to teeter on top of the highest platform shoes possible. Little did she know that the tiniest of pups could still steal a scene from the most flamboyant of humans.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

I find myself wondering if that obvious studio release shot of Connery originally appeared between the announcement of choosing him to play James Bond, and the premiere of Dr. No, as he's been posed holding a British paperback edition of some novel by Ian Fleming.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
And what a shame that Marshall Thompson couldn't slow Violet-Eyed Liz down long enough for some trophy matrimony . . those Daktari tranq-rifles just weren't around soon enough, I guess!
:? :? :? :? :?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks for the lesson Larry. You do well to remember it all. I bet the Hollywood hostesses had to up to speed when arranging dinner parties, seems some people changed partners quicker than the change of the seasons.

I don't smoke but I am I the only one who likes looking at some of these fabulous pictures of stars with smoke swirling around them. I also love how some stars use cigarettes on the screen.

Whilst thinking about this I remember when I was 4 auntie who I used to think was the coolest person ever because she could blow smoke rings. How bad does that sound today?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Joe, I love the photo of Debra Paget, in heels, having to stand on a box next to James Stewart. She must have had a whole lotta strategically placed boxes on the set of "Broken Arrow" if she had to stand next to Stewart and Jeff Chandler, or else they had a lotta ditches to stand in.

Who is that in the "Stamboul Quest" photo, looking on? Is it James Wong Howe?

By the way, I saw Wallach and Jackson a few years ago, in a teeny tiny theater on the West Side, in their little show about Tennessee Williams. They were terrific, and perfect together -- they really know how to hold an audience. We loved it.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, that chihuahua is indeed a scene stealer. Mickey Rourke would have loved it.

Marco, there is an image coming up of Jessel & Talmadge soon.

Klondike, I believe that image of Sean Connery was connected to him playing James Bond.

CCfan, It's not really a sin to smoke. I do. Did you see the beautiful smoke ring Joseph Cotten blew in "Duel In the Sun"?

Judith, that man in the middle is indeed the great James Wong Howe.

George Jessel and wife Norma Talmadge vacationing in Florida in 1935

Buddies Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Barbra Streisand & Sidney Poitier gather

Smiling duo Douglas Fairbanks and his son Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

PULL IN THAT GUT

Peter Lorre with tennis ace Don Budge

Marlon Brando cutting up

SPLISH SPLASH

Joan Blondell

Charlton Heston

Gina Lollobrigida

Dean Stockwell

Lana Turner

Trevor Howard
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Mongo, I don't regard smoking as a sin but a personal choice, you'd still be welcome in my house. If you lived in the UK you'd feel like the persecuted minority.

Brando looks a strange shape, very triangular.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

Last Spring, the town government of Woodstock, Vermont banned smoking anywhere within the limits of the township, apparently with no exemption for habitations on private property.
It will be interesting to see how this new law is upheld when challenged by tax-paying property owners. :roll:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Well Marco, speak of the 'devil(s)' - there's Norma and Georgie - together...

Gossip-
It seems that after the divorce Georgie phoned up Norma and Norma's maid answered.
Cruelly, Norma informed the maid, "Tell Mr. Jessel that I died and left him all my money!!"... Says a lot about both of them, doesn't it?...

Trivia-
Norma was one of the prototypes for Norma Desmond - first the name, "Norma"; and second the buried monkey in the backyard....

Larry
charliechaplinfan

klondike wrote:Last Spring, the town government of Woodstock, Vermont banned smoking anywhere within the limits of the township, apparently with no exemption for habitations on private property.
It will be interesting to see how this new law is upheld when challenged by tax-paying property owners. :roll:
I think that is awful. If someone wants to smoke how can you stop them in their own home? How do you police it? It's the world gone mad, yet again.

Tell me the story behind the monkey in the yard Larry, I've just got to know.
bdp

Post by bdp »

That shot of Joan Blondell...whew!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I've heard many theories about Miss Simon's song including Paul McCartney, he doesn't fit as well as Mick Jagger or Warren Beatty.

Thanks for the child star pictures, I'm particularly fond of Dickie Moore.
I don't think Paul either. I saw him in concert a few years ago and he was all about entertaining and bringing the audience in- not conceited at all! Best concert I've ever seen. The concert was before he married that witch Heather. I hope he finds lasting happiness with his new East Coast lady.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard