Agnes Moorehead

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Professional Tourist

Agnes Moorehead

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vecchiolarry

Re: Agnes Moorehead and Warner Brothers

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I know that Humphrey Bogart definitely wanted Agnes Moorehead for the part in "Dark Passage" and demanded her....
And, Agnes was a good friend of Ann Warner.

I don't know if she signed a 'picture contract' with them thereafter but she wasn't too pleased with Jack Warner, nor his treatment of Lew Ayres. But, I don't know much more than that...

Larry
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I have really only thought about her being an MGM star; although I know she did work elsewhere (who didn't?)...
I think she became disenchanted with MGM when she didn't get the role in "Gigi" - it went to Isabel Jeans... Just my opinion, although I've heard it from a couple of her friends...

I helped Charles Tranberg slightly with info on her son. But, I really don't follow the movies that much, so can't help you on her contractual business.
She was however, greatly involved at that time with her stage tours. Maybe that's why she didn't work more at Warners. Another guess!!

Larry
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I enjoy her 1959 appearance in THE BAT. This is a so-so film (it feels so 'William Castle-ish') with Vincent Price, and perhaps a lesser film for her. but Agnes' performance seems the strongest on-screen. I had a feeling she might have enjoyed working on this silly picture, and she certainly dresses it up.