March Madness, anyone?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

March Madness, anyone?

Post by moira finnie »

If you are a fan of the NCAA you already know what I'm talking about, if not, you probably know or possibly love someone whose whole existence is wrapped up in this period of college basketball playoffs. Though familial loyalty prompts me to quietly root for Villanova, Cornell and St. John's, (who aren't even in the serious running this year), my amusement at watching hyperthyroid types run around in their underwear trying to plunge a large ball through a peach basket is really nil.

I know many, many people, (and love a few of them), who are addicted and uncommunicative during these seemingly endless games. My favorite strange aspect of this season: national productivity allegedly falls each March...or does it? The employment consulting firm Challenger Gray & Christmas estimated that March Madness "watching" cost employers as much as $1.7 billion in wasted time last year and this year could be worse. Others claim that it really doesn't affect work that much. What do you think? Does it have any impact on your workplace or home life?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: March Madness, anyone?

Post by movieman1957 »

I don't follow it that much. I don't keep brackets either. A lady in my office does but she doesn't really know what she is doing. Sometimes I'll catch a game or check in to see what the local teams are up to but overall it is not a big deal.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

3 years ago, my best friend was given a car rental, hotel, airfare and tickets to the Final Four in Columbus (?). Her husband and 2 daughters all chipped in to send this 5 foot nothing dynamo to watch a week's worth of hoops. She had so much fun she decided to go last year. She had her reservations made months in advance, and was really enjoying the anticipation.

This woman is a dyed-in-the-wool Kansas University B-ball fanatic. Can you imagine her joy in getting to see "her boys" take the Championship in San Antonio?

All of her friends know not to call, make plans, drop by or otherwise interrupt her March Madness marathon. :lol: :lol:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I grew up on Basketball - my high school were IL State Champs four times. Two seasons were undefeated consecutively. Since high school, I only watch the occassional game on tv and really don't enjoy being in large arena type settings. There are definitely friends and family who are unreachable at this time - and I know a few who've called in sick! Recently, though, I heard that the day after St. Patrick's Day is the most missed day of work in America. Do you think that could contribute to the statistics?
B
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Chris, Nancy & Birdy,
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's witnessed others' absorption in this phenomenon--even if some don't really know what's going on. It's funny, but I enjoy watching a high school basketball game in person, but can't say that I've ever gotten much fun out of watching any of it on tv or in a big venue on a pro level. It just seems to drain the fun out of it when it is accompanied by a giant amount of hoopla or the media hype. Obviously, though, millions seem to enjoy this experience, so I must be missing something important, huh?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's funny obsessive some become. Work productivity is lower. There are special computer programs that put up phoney screens to cover the fact that one may be watching the tournament on their computer. There are probably huge sums of money bet. I heard that this year there have been fewer upsets then ther have been in years. It makes a little less exciting for some as their is no "Cinderella" team.

It's not my cup of tea and since I don't watch many CBS shows I haven't missed anything.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."