*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by jdb1 »

I'm not a big fan of Lee Tracy, but I really like this photo of him -- he looks so different from the usual obnoxious "high pants, fast talker" type roles he played.

James, when is/was your birthday? Tuesday or today? In any event, many happy returns, and I'm so glad you came back to us.

And for all you non-drivers: how do you cash checks and make credit card purchases? Here in NYC it's virtually impossible to do either without showing photo ID, which generally means your license. Even my daughter, who doesn't yet drive, has a "Non-Drivers License" ID issued by the state. I've had a drivers license for about 40 years, and that's about how many times I've actually driven a car, if that many, over that time period. You don't need to drive in NYC. I've done most of my driving during vacations out of New York.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

jdb1 wrote:And for all you non-drivers: how do you cash checks and make credit card purchases? Here in NYC it's virtually impossible to do either without showing photo ID, which generally means your license. Even my daughter, who doesn't yet drive, has a "Non-Drivers License" ID issued by the state.
I have a state issued ID. Wish I could have used Moraldo's picture on it!
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

My birthday was Tuesday, Judith! I am 59!!! How did that happen? Yesterday I was just 18, and today I look like somebody's FATHER! Ha! Next year is the big 60.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Marco, Tyrone Power's sister Anne is credited with one film role as an infant. She past away in 1999 at the age of 83.

Judith, when choosing the birthday images I do my best to use the most presentable shots of the stars.
Lee Tracy was a rascal.

Happy Birthday James.
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

Garbomaniac wrote:Hey, Fernando, I have often thought of how handsome you are. And, I have often wondered why you chose to post a picture of yourself instead of a STAR. But since everyone is discussing your Adonis presence, I thought I would join in and commend the FATES for lavishing you with such a presence. I doubt you put your picture up to accumulate accolades, but nevertheless, it has. I have always thought it better to hide who you are to avoid disappointment! Recently, there was a member of the "other" forum who was on television co-hosting a movie. After seeing him, I wished I had not seen him. But, I have, also, thought it might be fun to have a thread dedicated to ourselves, posting our pictures, and discussing our normal lives. I find it fascinating that you don't drive. But, that is only because here we all drive furiously. I hate to drive. Where I work, everyone kids me because I "really" live within a five mile radius. I shop, work, and visit everyone I know within a five mile radius. Today was my birthday, and on my office door was list of assignments they all wanted me to do. Basically, it boiled down to driving out of town! NO! I hate driving.
Thanks for your kind remarks Garbomaniac. When I joined these Boards it was the first time I ever used an avatar, a Myrna Loy pix -I chose her because she's one of my faves and we share a birthday- which Moira helped me to turn into an avatar -I'm not very computer savvy. Somewhere during last year, after I joined Facebook I think, I chose to use a pix of myself, for no particular reason. I have always been quite shy and insecure in a way, so maybe it was a sort of therapy :wink: I think it's great to get to see pals with whom I've been sharing and exchanging opinions for so long. For example, it was treat to actually see Joe-Mongo in the pictures taken for the Guest Programmer spot, since I met him at TCM city back in 2003! It's been 6 years now. Thanks to the guest programming I've also been able to see April, Lynn, Kyle, Theresa, Pete and so many other people. I've liked that! And it will be a thril when I get the opportunity of actually getting to see the intros (I hope in youtube).

Re. driving, I can't say I hate driving because I've never done it! :wink: I love living and working quite near a Tube/Subway Station!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

jdb1 wrote:And for all you non-drivers: how do you cash checks and make credit card purchases? Here in NYC it's virtually impossible to do either without showing photo ID, which generally means your license.
I'm a non-driver in NYC. I don't cash checks, but do use credit cards for purchases and don't recall ever having been asked to show photo ID or any other form of ID at either stores or restaurants. :|
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Garbomaniac wrote:My birthday was Tuesday, Judith! I am 59!!! How did that happen? Yesterday I was just 18, and today I look like somebody's FATHER! Ha! Next year is the big 60.
Sixty is cool. I just passed that mark and now consider myself officially an Elder Stateswoman. (And the best part, I have to admit, is when people tell me I don't look it. Maybe by 70 I won't care about that any more.)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Professional Tourist wrote:
jdb1 wrote:And for all you non-drivers: how do you cash checks and make credit card purchases? Here in NYC it's virtually impossible to do either without showing photo ID, which generally means your license.
I'm a non-driver in NYC. I don't cash checks, but do use credit cards for purchases and don't recall ever having been asked to show photo ID or any other form of ID at either stores or restaurants. :|
I suppose it depends on which stores you go to. I've been asked for ID in posh stores and bargain stores. Over the past weekend I shoppped a lot, and was asked for ID every time, except when paying cash.

Or maybe I just look suspicious. :twisted:
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Ha! Oh, feaito, isn't life funny? I have always found it so interesting the levels of insecurity in people in general. You take Ava, for instance; she never thought herself beautiful, but had a great deal of security in her convictions. Then, you take the ordinary man on the street, to whom you wouldn't give a second glance, and he has all the bravado of a Tyrone Power! Oh well, we all have our quirks, and if showing your picture gives you confidence in any way, then more power to you. It has certainly garnered you reams of esteem here!

Thanks, Mongo, for the birthday wishes! And, to Madame Elder Stateswoman, I agree! It is WONDERFUL when they say you don't look it. And, yes, I guess by seventy, I won't care as much either. I have a little bald spot on the back of my head, and I don't care a hoot! Sometimes, people razz me about it, and I probably would have socked them in my thirties. But now, I am just grateful I have made it this far looking so good!

Mongo, I just spent the last twenty minutes or so looking back at all of your wonderful contributions to this thread! How, do you do it? You have to remember which ones you posted, and which ones would be most affective, and which type you should lump together! Then, you have to resize them, crop them, download them to a photobucket or something, and post each one! I know how time consuming that is! I have to say that my favorites fall into the following categories: Starlets, Nudes, Weddings, Dogs, Telephone, and Groups Shots of stars out on the town or at award shows. It is such an education and a marvelous escape from the daily grind.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank very much, James. I appreciate it. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the images which does take some work on my part which I enjoy doing. It came easier as I posted more and more images although at times it does get frustrating, especially when I have difficulty with my computer.
After posting close to 2,000 images for members to enjoy, I guess it was all worth it.

Irving Berlin at the piano with Tyrone Power, Alice Faye & Don Ameche

Jimmy Durante walking his pooch in Times Square in 1944

John Derek out and about with first wife Patti in 1950

APRIL 15th BIRTHDAYS

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL ANSARA 87 today

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARVEY LEMBECK (1923 - 1982)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANS CONRIED (1917 - 1982)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WALLACE REID (1891 - 1923)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FLORENCE BATES (1888 - 1954)

Bette Davis in a color shot as Charlotte Vale in "Now, Voyager" (untouched)

Alluring Gene Tierney.

Joan Crawford in shape during the 1960s

Shelley Winters in her svelte days as "Frenchie"

APRIL 16th. BIRTHDAYS

EDIE ADAMS (1927 - 2008)

PETER USTINOV (1921 - 2004)

BARRY NELSON (1917 - 2007)

JOHN HODIAK (1914 - 1955)

ALFONSO BEDOYA (1904 - !957)

CHARLES CHAPLIN (1889 - 1977)

HENRY STEPHENSON (1871 - 1956)

Yul Brynner rapping with Gene Kelly.

Mary Astor visits Marlene Dietrich on the set of "Golden Earrings" in 1948

Mae West and Gary Cooper dine together

APRIL 17th. BIRTHDAYS

LON McCALLISTER (1923 - 2005)

WILLIAM HOLDEN (1918 - 1981)

ANNE SHIRLEY (1918 - 1993)

ARTHUR LAKE (1905 - 1987)

LOUIS JEAN HEYDT (1905 - 1960)

Ronald Reagan and Ruth Roman going on a date in 1950

Lovely Jean Harlow in fashion of the 1930s

Linda Darnell with her hairdresser and a bit of help from Kirk Douglas

Jack Haley as the Tin Man with director of "The Wizard of Oz" Victor Fleming

Farley Granger with date Ann Blyth & Roddy McDowall with date Hazel Don in 1946

Child stars Sybil Jason and Jane Withers at a luncheon in 1937
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

Garbomaniac wrote:Oh well, we all have our quirks, and if showing your picture gives you confidence in any way, then more power to you. It has certainly garnered you reams of esteem here!
I'd say that my adulthood has been a journey to mend a broken soul and to exorcise the demons of my childhood... Thanks for your kind words.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This may be a hollow dream, but wouldn't it be cool if Mongo could become the new editor or, better yet, the voice of the "What a Character" series on TCM?? Who else but this guy would be the best choice for such a dream job than a man who has the wisdom to mention Harvey Lembeck, Florence Bates, Alfonso Bedoya and Hans Conreid right up there with Chaplin, Tierney, Davis and Crawford in the same breath?

And thanks, Joe. I'd never had the name of Alfonso Bedoya to put with the unforgettable character who says "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges." Gold Hat, indeed.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote:This may be a hollow dream, but wouldn't it be cool if Mongo could become the new editor or, better yet, the voice of the "What a Character" series on TCM?? Who else but this guy would be the best choice for such a dream job than a man who has the wisdom to mention Harvey Lembeck, Florence Bates, Alfonso Bedoya and Hans Conreid right up there with Chaplin, Tierney, Davis and Crawford in the same breath?
That's a great idea Moira.

Linda Darnell looks so beautiful in that picture with Kirk Douglas; ditto Gene Tierney. They are two of Fox's greatest beauties.

Interesting still of Anne Shirley too.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Gosh! Marlene looks gawd-awful! It looks like Mary Astor is being "tolerant" of some horrid gypsy-beggar woman off the streets. Just throw her a coin and be done with it, "And, stop touching me!"

I guess I've seen too many movies!
klondike

Post by klondike »

Garbomaniac wrote:Gosh! Marlene looks gawd-awful! It looks like Mary Astor is being "tolerant" of some horrid gypsy-beggar woman off the streets. Just throw her a coin and be done with it, "And, stop touching me!"
Mary probably just finished talking to Ray Milland! :x