Possibly Gordon Jackson's best role

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Possibly Gordon Jackson's best role

Post by stuart.uk »

I found this link from The Professionals. It has a few scenes which I hope that show just how Imense Gordon Jackson was in the role of CI5 boss George Cowley

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Possibly Gordon Jackson's best role

Post by moira finnie »

This must have been a nice gig for Gord-o, Stuart. He got to snarl at the two guys working under him finding new ways to bark at them each time and often managing to make their interactions rather amusing. In America, his part would probably have been played by someone like Simon Oakland, Tige Andrews or Dan Hedaya who were also good at being gruff!

Since most Americans know Gordon Jackson primarily from Upstairs, Downstairs, and his wonderful character work in such films as Tunes of Glory, it's great to see him being a boss instead of an underling for once (even if he is only a slightly bigger cog in the machine in the intelligence unit depicted in the clips shown). Thanks for posting this one.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Re: Possibly Gordon Jackson's best role

Post by stuart.uk »

What I find intersting Miora in Upstairs Downstairs, though working class Gordon's Hudson beleived in the class system and looking up to your betters. In comparison in what I would believe to be a right wing institution, his George Cowley comes over as a tough, but liberal minded boss. I saw him in the Professionals as the equal of M in the Bond movies. What I also liked about Cowley was while like M he was the boss of his organization, he wasn't beyond helping Bodie and Doyle in gun battles against terrorists, and even managed the odd fight scene.

The Professionals was voted recently the top cop show off all time on UK tv by a public vote