*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, It was in a matter of hours after the show that Carmen Miranda died early into the next day(as the related article under the image states). Sad indeed.
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hey, everyone -- I am so glad that I saw Bea Arthur's one-woman show on Broadway a few years ago. It was a pleasure to see an actor who knew very well how to hold an audience, no matter what it was she was doing onstage (and she had a late tradition of always appearing onstage barefoot, too). She told stories of her career which weren't all hilarious per se, but with her way of telling them, the audience howled with laughter. She sang, very nicely. Her rendition of the Brecht/Weill "Pirate Jenny" was fabulous, and we had to admire her even more, because the sound system started humming as she was performing it (probably someone's hearing aid). She kept right on going, and kept us all with her.

After the show, we went around to the stage door to for a close-up glimpse. The alley was packed with wellwishers. As she walked to her car, acknowledging the applause and cheers, she cooed, in that inimitable voice:, "Oooh, I feel just like Madonna!" We need more like her.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've never seen the Snows of Kilamanjaro, Ava Gardner looks the trooper but the photo does look worrying.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Her rendition of the Brecht/Weill "Pirate Jenny" was fabulous
That I would have loved to have heard. Was it sort of Lotte Lenya with a New Yawk accent?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

PT, that 2nd image, with Debbie Reynolds, Burton & Taylor, is hilarious. I don't think D & E had resolved their animosity yet, and Aggie looks like she thinks all h is about to break loose.
The pictures are fabulous, thanks for sharing.

Nancy

I am not too good at this posting of pictures, sorry
Attachments
burtontaylorreynoldswit.jpg
burtontaylorreynoldswit.jpg (187.07 KiB) Viewed 13875 times
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

PT, your scrapbook of images of the wonderful Agnes Moorehead was very nice.

Mexican spitfire Lupe Velez out with husband Johnny 'Tarzan' Weissmuller in 1934

Robert Montgomery nursing a sore foot in 1957

Joan Crawford surrounded by her 4 adopted children (girls in matching outfits)

APRIL 27th. BIRTHDAYS

JACK KLUGMAN is 87

SANDY DENNIS (1937 - 1992)

PEGGY KNUDSEN (1923 - 1980)

WALTER LANTZ (1899 - 1994)

LENNOX PAWLE (1872 - 1936)

Elizabeth Taylor takes a drive with her mother Sara

What Could Have Been So Bad

CAPUCINE suicide March 17th 1990 age 62

ELIZABETH HARTMAN suicide June 10th 1987 age 43

CAROLE LANDIS suicide July 5th 1948 age 29

LUPE VELEZ suicide December 13th 1944 age 36

APRIL 28th. BIRTHDAYS

ANN-MARGRET is 68

ADELE MARA is 86

CONNIE MARSHALL (1933 - 2001)

CAROLYN JONES (1930 - 1983)

LIONEL BARRYMORE (1878 - 1954)

SIDNEY TOLER (1874 - 1947)
Joseph Goodheart
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Dear CineMaven and MissG...

When I've chatted about 180-degree faces, or storylines that seem counter to someone's initial appearance, I'm going to stack Agnes Moorehead up as Defense Exhibit 1. This woman's face looks like it NEEDS to be dour and sad and angry. But, when she smiles, it's like whole other sun appears.

And she's got degrees and varieties of smiles, too. She has this impish, almost evil slight-grin, and then this other-world-appears, out-of-nowhere full-on smile.

She shows these in some of her films, not always - sometimes she's only used one or two of her faces. But for someone with such a broad range, even that discipline can be wonderful. Thanks, Mongo. This is why I've been fascinated by two of my newest favorite faces.
charliechaplinfan

I enjoyed your images PT, thanks for sharing :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Mongo, that's one of the youngest images of an adult Lionel Barrymore I've ever seen. Do you think it might have been taken in the first decade of the 20th century?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Lionel Barrymore - born in 1878!!
Talk about a cold-water splash in the face!
Now I think about all those great old roles I've watched him in, lo the many years, and how often the Mrs. & I have remarked to one another: "Oh how bad his hands look here . . they must have been going arthritic even then . . ."
Now I realize that those stiff, clubbed hands were, more reasonably, a typical sign of his true age, whereas the rest of him, physiologically was operating on a much slower "clock" . . .
Look at his performances in Devil Doll, You Can't Take It With You, Key Largo and the later Kildare films . . judging by his appearance (disregarding the intermittent wheelchair), they might all have been crowded into 3 years or less, rather than spanning over a decade of versatile, committed work.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I appreciated the picture of Elizabeth Taylor's mother. I'd heard so many stories about her and her bringing Elizabeth Taylor to the States, but I don't think I'd ever seen her. It seems there were many actresses with influential mothers: Ginger Rogers and Mom; Angela Lansbury and Mom. Wasn't Gloria DeHaven's mother an actress? A mother/daughter series would be interesting. Anyway, thanks again, Joe!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I'd like to hear more of the GOOD stories, though. Today's press coverage only fills our pages with the bad poptart relations.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, I'm not certain when that image of Lionel Barrymore was taken since there was no date. I believe you could be close.

Klondike, the span of Barrymore's "The Devil-Doll" and "Key Largo" is 15 years. The actor always appeared elderly to me on the screen.

Of all things Mr. Barrymore was certainly a caring man:
In 1949 five years before Barrymore's death, when Southern Califonia and the nation mourned a 3-year old San Marino girl, Kathy Fiscus who had fallen to her death in an abandoned well. There were many flowers, but none prettier than a five-foot cross of white sweet peas and white roses sent by a man who never had seen Kathy. This man, then 71, was the man with a gruff voice, the shabby brows, the gnarled hands. He sent a little card with his flowers. It read, "Deepest sympathy, Lionel Barrymore."

Marco, I expect to do a homage to mamas on Mother's Day.

The girls include Julie Andrews, Edie Adams, Janet Blair & Shirley Jones in 1957

Jackie Cooper and Judy Garland on a date in 1936

Glenn Ford and wife Eleanor Powell join Charles Coburn at a party in 1950

APRIL 29th. BIRTHDAYS

CELESTE HOLM is 92

TOMMY NOONAN (1921 - 1968)

RICHARD CARLSON (1912 - 1977)

TOM EWELL (1909 - 1994)

DAISY 'DOLL' EARLES (1907 - 1980)

FRED ZINNEMANN (1907 - 1997)

1/14/1965-New York, NY:
Keeping a sidewalk appointment January 14th with his ex-wife, Jayne Mansfield, Mickey Hargitay kisses their son, Zoltan, 4.
At right is Jayne's present husband, Matt Cimber. Moments later, Cimber brandished fist at Hargitay.
It all started when Jayne and Matt tried to run away from meeting when photographers showed up.
Mickey chased them, snatched a kiss and the fireworks started.
UPI PHOTO

Joan Crawford giving her poodle a treat

Oscar winner Lee Marvin feeling no pain

Gene Kelly with wife Betsy Blair and daughter Kerry

APRIL 30th. BIRTHDAYS

CLORIS LEACHMAN is 83

CORINNE CALVET (1925 - 2001)

EVE ARDEN (1908 - 1990)

DAVID MANNERS (1901 - 1998)

Jon Hall & wife Frances Langford up front at a testimonial for Louella Parsons in 1948
(notice the guy next to Hall is snoozing).

Marilyn Monroe & Jane Russell about to put their prints in cement in 1953

Singer Dennis Day nursing sister-in-law Ann Blyth who took ill during an engagement

Ricardo Montalban enjoying a coke while reading a script
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

What a nice guy. I love hearing stories like that about people.