Funday Night at the Movies

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jdb1

Funday Night at the Movies

Post by jdb1 »

I think this is a very good, and very timely idea on the part of TCM. With the first small stirrings of action in the film industry against mega-violent films and their generally-aimed advertising, which are far more prevalent and available in the summer, it's comforting to know that there is a place where families can steer their kids to see good, and appropriate movies.

The G rated nature of these films is only one selling point; the other is, of course, a gentle introduction into the wonderful world of classic movies.

Before I had TCM as part of my cable package, I was very happy that there was the old AMC, where I knew I could allow my daughter to see any one of their movies without fear of her being repelled or traumatized. I imagine there is are a whole lot of parents out there who aren't even aware of the benefits of TCM. I hope the presence of the man behind SpongeBob Squarepants as the host of this family fare will encourage a regular audience.
moira finnie
Administrator

Funday at the Movies

Post by moira finnie »

Ooops, Judith, I posted this over in the Schedule area just before seeing that you'd started this thread, (you're way ahead of me, kid!) so to add to your astute comments I'll shift over here and begin again...

Given the fact that there's often little worthwhile programming for kids as well as parents to watch together, the fact that TCM is attempting to create a block of programming this summer geared toward introducing the rugrats to classic movies seems commendable. Funday at the Movies might also be a good counterbalance to what many viewers feel is their increasingly "adult-oriented" fare. Here's a line-up of the movies that I came across, and here's a link to some info about the Funday at the Movies background, including a bit about Tom Kenny (SpongeBob Squarepants voice to many of us), who is hosting the program. My personal choices for additions to the programming:
Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, Whistle Down the Wind, Jason and the Argonauts, and Time Bandits--but perhaps they're a shade serious for the little guys.

What child-appropriate films would you like to see included?

June Movies beginning at 8pm EDT each Sunday:
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Spirited Away (2001)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
The Awful Truth (1937)
Sounder (1972)
The Kentuckian (1955)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Block-Heads (1938)
At War With the Army (1950)

July Movies beginning at 8pm EDT each Sunday:
Oliver! (1968)
Little Women (1949)
Little Men (1940)
Treasure Island (1934)
Pride Of The Yankees, The (1942)
Casanova Brown (1944)
Singin' In The Rain (1952)

August Movies:
(Please note: Apparently due to the Summer Under the Stars month-long theme, the schedule shifts from 8pm ET to 5pm EDT this month.)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
Shane (1953)
Whispering Smith (1948)
Adventures of Robin Hood, The (1938)
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954)
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I'm not entirely sure about some of the selections though, particularly The Awful Truth, which deals somewhat with adult issues.

Also, as much as I love Burt Lancaster, I don't think I'd recommend The Kentuckian to anyone. It's just not good. I don't have too much issue with the other choices, although if I had to pick a Jerry Lewis movie for kid appeal it would be The Nutty Professor (sorry, Dino).
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

jondaris wrote:
"I'm not entirely sure about some of the selections though, particularly The Awful Truth, which deals somewhat with adult issues.
Also, as much as I love Burt Lancaster, I don't think I'd recommend The Kentuckian to anyone. It's just not good. I don't have too much issue with the other choices, although if I had to pick a Jerry Lewis movie for kid appeal it would be The Nutty Professor (sorry, Dino)."

Jon, I completely agree with what you're saying about THE KENTUCKIAN (yawn!) and THE AWFUL TRUTH (would kids really find this funny?). As for THE NUTTY PROFESSOR -- I love that movie now, but as a kid I found it off-putting and not the least bit funny (although modern kids might). The Jerry Lewis film I would pick, hands down, would be THE BELLBOY.
Kyle In Hollywood

Post by Kyle In Hollywood »

jondaris wrote:I'm not entirely sure about some of the selections though, particularly The Awful Truth, which deals somewhat with adult issues.
Given that a large number of children grow up in divorced households, I suppose a comedy about a divorcing couple and their dating foibles could be interesting to youngsters.

But I wonder if My Favorite Wife wouldn't have been a better choice. At least there are children in that film.

And it is a travesty that Captains Courageous isn't on that schedule. It is so superior to Treasure Island.

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It's not necessarily the choice of fare that I was approving, but the idea of trying to reach out to an audience looking for something other than the usual "male 18-34" emphasis we get on network TV.

I thought the idea of this programming was family movie night, not kids' movie night. If some of these films are entirely kid-oriented, it gives parents an opportunity to have something to talk about with their kids.

When I was a kid, back in the days of non-objectionable films, I didn't see only kiddie movies - I saw what my parents saw as well. Even when I didn't quite understand what was going on in the film, at least I wasn't being subjected to the awfulness we are seeing these days. One of the real benefits I see in Funday Night is that it shows a new group of movie viewers that movies don't have to have blood and guts and sex to be entertaining.

What I think is really necesary here is advertising. It needs to be much broader than just on Turner-owned stations.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've found from personal experience, kids like movies with kids in them, not only in the movie, but a part of the movie. My granddaughter can be reading or coloring, but if she hears a childs' voice, she immediately looks at the TV. As for the Kentuckian, the whipping scene puts me off of that movie for kids. Regarding the amount of repeats, yes, many of them have been repeated, but how often have we called the kids in to watch with us?

As for what I would like to see programmed:

All three 'Free Willy' movies.
All Mine to Give - Kids may not get the full meaning of this one, but it does give an idea of what will happen if anything happened to mom and dad, and let's face it, that sort of thing does hapen.
All Shirley Temple movies.
Horse and dog movies also - any of the Lassies', My Friend Flicka, the original Black Stallion, etc.

I may have repeated, and I'm sorry for that, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the monthly schedules, and with my memory, I wanted to get my thoughts out.

Let me state here and now, I have always (even as a kid), hated Charlottes Web, it always just brought up memories of good and sweet people who had been good to me in the past and are now gone, like my grandma when I was little, and mom and other favorite aunts and uncles.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

jdb1 wrote:It's not necessarily the choice of fare that I was approving, but the idea of trying to reach out to an audience looking for something other than the usual "male 18-34" emphasis we get on network TV.

I thought the idea of this programming was family movie night, not kids' movie night. If some of these films are entirely kid-oriented, it gives parents an opportunity to have something to talk about with their kids.

When I was a kid, back in the days of non-objectionable films, I didn't see only kiddie movies - I saw what my parents saw as well. Even when I didn't quite understand what was going on in the film, at least I wasn't being subjected to the awfulness we are seeing these days. One of the real benefits I see in Funday Night is that it shows a new group of movie viewers that movies don't have to have blood and guts and sex to be entertaining.

What I think is really necesary here is advertising. It needs to be much broader than just on Turner-owned stations.
Judith, great points here. I remember seeing Oklahoma! on tv when I was a kid, and I loved it. I didn't understand the sexual subtext of Laurey's attraction to bad guy Jud vs. good guy Curley, I just knew that one was a bad guy and one was the hero. As an adult, I can appreciate the deeper themes of the work.

I think that The Awful Truth is a great introduction to screwball comedy. True, little kids may be bored, but those kids age 10 and up will probably like it. Cary Grant is one of the most likable actors of all time!

As for Jerry Lewis movies, I wish that they had chosen The Geisha Boy. That was my favorite Jerry Lewis movie growing up. I haven't seen it on tv in over 20 years. It's not on dvd, either. Perhaps Anne is right--maybe I liked it because it had a little boy (and Harry the Rabbit!) in it.

Sandy K
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think it's a fine idea. (The TCM board had a thread locked over this.) I'm a little surprised there aren't more of the live action Disney films. This may be a product of a short time on the contract. If they could get hold of "The Shaggy Dog" or something like that then it would be even more fun. (After "The Absent Minded Professor" I thought mre things would be available.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

TCMprogrammer over on TCM's site has clarified that The Awful Truth is not intended to be part of the Family Funday lineup. It apparently was scheduled immediately after Bringing Up Baby as a logical followup to that film, which TCM did include in their kiddie+adult fare. Since the material about the lineup on their website about this programming block is somewhat scanty and sometimes films are scheduled back to back as family entertainment at times and others are not, confusion is sort of understandable. Hey, if they wanna show a Cary Grant movie that the little guys might enjoy as much as the parents, I'd suggest that they unearth Once Upon a Time (1944) with Janet Blair & Cary "dancing" attendance upon a caterpillar who trips the light fantastic. Good wholesome nonsense from the pen of Norman Corwin. Or how about Topper? Or does the drinking involved in that film rule it out?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

moirafinnie wrote:Since the material about the lineup on their website about this programming block is somewhat scanty and sometimes films are scheduled back to back as family entertainment at times and others are not, confusion is sort of understandable.
I had checked out the site for this the other day, and The Awful Truth was definitely listed on the left with the other films in the series. I just checked the site, and that has changed, but this is TCM's fault.
inglis

Post by inglis »

movieman1957 wrote:I think it's a fine idea. (The TCM board had a thread locked over this.) I'm a little surprised there aren't more of the live action Disney films. This may be a product of a short time on the contract. If they could get hold of "The Shaggy Dog" or something like that then it would be even more fun. (After "The Absent Minded Professor" I thought mre things would be available.)
, Hi Chris I would love to see more Disney films too.The ones you have mentioned are excellent, lots of fun .
Hollis

Another one of my inanities!

Post by Hollis »

Good morning all,

Would anyone know if there's version of "The Story of Movies" that's available to those of us who don't happen to be middle school teachers? Personally, I'd love to be able to learn a little something about, lighting, sound and the like and how they're used to emphasize certain elements of a film and make it what it is. Maybe there's a "Classic Movies for Dummies" book out there somewhere that would serve to educate those of us with less than a working knowledge of movies and how they're made. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Hollis