Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
klondike

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by klondike »

Here's what MSN is carrying about Kwai Chang's final exit ( :cry:) :

Actor David Carradine found dead in Bangkok
June 4, 2009, 9:10 AM EST
BANGKOK (AP) -- Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok. A news report said he was found hanged in his hotel room and was believed to have committed suicide.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy, Michael Turner, confirmed the death of the 72-year-old actor. He said the embassy was informed by Thai authorities that Carradine died either late Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family.

The Web site of the Thai newspaper The Nation cited unidentified police sources as saying Carradine was found Thursday hanged in his luxury hotel room.

It said Carradine was in Bangkok to shoot a movie and had been staying at the hotel since Tuesday.

The newspaper said Carradine could not be contacted after he failed to appear for a meal with the rest of the film crew on Wednesday, and that his body was found by a hotel maid at 10 a.m. Thursday morning. The name of the movie was not immediately available.

It said a preliminary police investigation found that he had hanged himself with a cord used with the room's curtains. It cited police as saying he had been dead at least 12 hours and there was no sign that he had been assaulted.

A police officer at Bangkok's Lumpini precinct station would not confirm the identity of the dead man, but said the luxury Swissotel Nai Lert Park hotel had reported that a male guest killed himself there.
Carradine was a leading member of a venerable Hollywood acting family that included his father, character actor John Carradine, and brother Keith.

In all, he appeared in more than 100 feature films with such directors as Martin Scorsese, Ingmar Bergman and Hal Ashby. One of his prominent early film roles was as singer Woody Guthrie in Ashby's 1976 biopic "Bound for Glory."

But he was best known for his role as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin priest traveling the 1800s American frontier West in the TV series "Kung Fu," which aired in 1972-75.

He reprised the role in a mid-1980s TV movie and played Caine's grandson in the 1990s syndicated series "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues."

He returned to the top in recent years as the title character in Quentin Tarantino's two-part saga "Kill Bill."

The character, the worldly father figure of a pack of crack assassins, was a shadowy presence in 2003's "Kill Bill — Vol. 1." In that film, one of Bill's former assassins (Uma Thurman) begins a vengeful rampage against her old associates.

In "Kill Bill — Vol. 2," released in 2004, Thurman's character comes face to face again with Bill himself. The role brought Carradine a Golden Globe nomination as best supporting actor.

Bill was a complete contrast to his TV character Kwai Chang Caine, the soft-spoken refugee from a Shaolin monastery, serenely spreading wisdom and battling bad guys in the Old West. He left after three seasons, saying the show had started to repeat itself.

After "Kung Fu," Carradine starred in the 1975 cult flick "Death Race 2000." He starred with Liv Ullmann in Bergman's "The Serpent's Egg" in 1977 and with his brothers in the 1980 Western "The Long Riders."

But after the early 1980s, he spent two decades doing mostly low-budget films. Tarantino's films changed that.

"All I've ever needed since I more or less retired from studio films a couple of decades ago ... is just to be in one," Carradine told The Associated Press in 2004.

"There isn't anything that Anthony Hopkins or Clint Eastwood or Sean Connery or any of those old guys are doing that I couldn't do," he said. "All that was ever required was somebody with Quentin's courage to take and put me in the spotlight."

One thing remained a constant after "Kung Fu": Carradine's interest in Oriental herbs, exercise and philosophy. He wrote a personal memoir called "Spirit of Shaolin" and continued to make instructional videos on tai chi and other martial arts.

In the 2004 interview, Carradine talked candidly about his past boozing and narcotics use, but said he had put all that behind him and stuck to coffee and cigarettes.

"I didn't like the way I looked, for one thing. You're kind of out of control emotionally when you drink that much. I was quicker to anger."

"You're probably witnessing the last time I will ever answer those questions," Carradine said. "Because this is a regeneration. It is a renaissance. It is the start of a new career for me.

"It's time to do nothing but look forward."
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Really an enigmatic guy. Much like the character he played in "Kung Fu", which was one of my favorite television shows. Apparently he'd thought of committing suicide many times. I loved his father- what a terrific character actor he was!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... hotel.html
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
ziggy 6708

Post by ziggy 6708 »

Always one of my favorite character actors in his own right. Loved his portrayal in "Bound for Glory". So sorry to think that he felt such an ending was his only option. So sad. RIP, Mr. Carradine and condolences to his family.
vallo

Post by vallo »

Ed McMahon dies at 86:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Ed McMahon, a fixture on U.S. late-night television for 30 years as the full-throated announcer and sidekick for Johnny Carson on NBC's "The Tonight Show," died on Tuesday at age 86, his spokesman said.

The veteran TV personality, best known for his nightly introduction of Carson in a deep, booming voice with the drawn-out line, "Heeeeeeeeere's Johnny!" died at a Los Angeles-area hospital, spokesman Howard Bragman said.

"He died early this morning with his wife and loved ones by his side," Bragman said.

McMahon had been battling pneumonia and other illnesses. Bragman declined to confirm or deny reports that the performer had been diagnosed with bone cancer.

Outgoing, affable and possessing a robust, baritone voice, McMahon began his career with stints as a bingo caller, carnival barker and boardwalk pitchman before becoming a broadcast announcer and TV host.

Trained as a U.S. Marine fighter pilot during World War II, he flew missions in Korea in the 1950s.

He went on to become one of the most celebrated sidekicks in TV history as Carson's right-hand man on "The Tonight Show" starting in 1962, stopping in 1992 when Carson retired as host.
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

RIP Ed.

I had no idea he was a Marine Vet. Semper Fi, Ed.
klondike

Post by klondike »

So, time for the Good Natured Irreverence Bus:
Do ya think when old Ed got up to the Pearly Gates (always sound to me like a matinee western colleague of Gabby Hayes & Fuzzy Knight), Saint Peter said something like: "Hey, Ed, what's up? No balloons, no cameras? And where's my big Check?!" 8)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Farrah Fawcett, who skyrocketed to fame as one of a trio of impossibly glamorous private eyes on TV's Charlie's Angels, has died after a long battle with cancer. She was 62.

Fawcett died at 9:28 a.m. PST at St. John’s Heath Center in Santa Monica, Calif. She had recently returned to St. John's for treatment of complications from anal cancer, first diagnosed three years ago. Her longtime partner Ryan O'Neal was at her side throughout her final days.

Like so much about Fawcett's life – including her bumpy relationship with O'Neal – her heroic struggle to beat the disease was closely followed by her legion of fans.

"I've watched her this past year fight with such courage and so valiantly, but with such humor," Fawcett's Charlie's Angels costar Kate Jackson told PEOPLE in November 2007.

O'Neal, in particular, remained a steadfast supporter of Fawcett, who, despite her frailty, spent the last months of her life filming a TV documentary chronicling her illness, including several trips to Germany to undergo experimental treatment. Fawcett is survived by her son with O'Neal, Redmond, 24, who is currently serving a prison term in California after repeated drug offenses.

Texas Charmer
Blonde, blue-eyed and petite – and with a trademark mane as flowing and famous as the M.G.M. lion's – the Corpus Christi, Texas, native was born Feb. 2, 1947, the younger daughter of an oil-field contractor and his homemaker wife.

A magnet for male students at the University of Texas at Austin, Fawcett eventually set off for Hollywood. Quickly noticed by casting agents, she began landing small parts in forgettable movies, such as 1970's Myra Breckinridge, based on a gender-bending novel by Gore Vidal. Her role: an ingenuous blonde.

In 1973, Fawcett married actor Lee Majors, forever known as Col. Steve Austin on TV's The Six Million Dollar Man. Three years later, she appeared in the cult sci-fi film Logan's Run and began her stint with costars Jackson and Jaclyn Smith on Charlie's Angels. Well-coiffed and scantily-clad, the threesome created an instant sensation, with a weekly following of 23 million fans.
Fawcett moved on after just one season. By then, she was already a phenomenon, having donned a one-piece red bathing suit and a perfect smile for her legendary pin-up poster, which sold a still-record 12 million copies.

"I became famous almost before I had a craft," Fawcett told The New York Times in 1986, four years after her divorce from Majors. (By then, she was already involved with Ryan O'Neal.) "I didn't study drama at school. I was an art major. Suddenly, when I was doing Charlie's Angels, I was getting all this fan mail, and I didn't really know why. I don't think anybody else did, either."

Bumpy Film Career
Though she left TV for what was assumed to be greener pastures – feature films – Fawcett's initial three big-screen vehicles all crash-landed. Her first, 1978's Somebody Killed Her Husband, was lampooned in MAD magazine under the title, Somebody Killed Her Career.

It took some serious dramatic TV roles, including that of a battered wife in 1984's The Burning Bed (which earned her an Emmy nomination), as well as starring in small-screen biopics about pioneering photojournalist Margaret Bourke-White and ill-fated Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton, for Fawcett to bounce back.

"What would you do if someone said to you, 'You're so popular right now that you can be on the cover of every magazine, but if you do that, you might get overexposed and a backlash will develop'?" Fawcett told The Times after she had emerged from one of the valleys of her career.

Still, she said of fighting for survival in Hollywood, "That's life. Everything has positive and negative consequences."
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, how sad. I'm glad Farrah Fawcett is not enduring any more invasions of her person and privacy by the nosey world and is, I hope, beyond pain. Though I've never been a fan, really, I feel a little like a piece of our collective youth is gone. I hope her family might be left in peace for their own period of mourning. But I doubt it.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

moirafinnie wrote:Oh, how sad. I'm glad Farrah Fawcett is not enduring any more invasions of her person and privacy by the nosey world and is, I hope, beyond pain. Though I've never been a fan, really, I feel a little like a piece of our collective youth is gone. I hope her family might be left in peace for their own period of mourning. But I doubt it.
I feel the same about Fawcett, Moira. Frankly, I never saw what all the fuss was about, in terms of acting or looks, and I think she was better looking as she aged. However, we must admire her courage and good grace, going through something so awful, and in the public eye, to boot. I doubt I could have done it with such aplomb.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I'm with both Moira and Judith - I was never really a fan of Farrah, but it is sad that she has died so young really.
She did do a credible job on the Barbara Hutton story; I could see Barbara in her and that's all we can really ask...
I understand she was quite good also in "The Burning Bed", although I never saw it....

R.I.P. dear Farrah

Larry
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It is sad, she was very brave to allow the cameras film her whilst receiving treatment. RIP Farah Fawcett.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Michael Jackson has died at the age of 50.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

What a ghastly day this is for some.

Pop singer Michael Jackson has died of cardiac arrest at age 50. The sad details are here.

This quite unexpected event has just been reported by the Los Angeles Times, USA Today, The New York Times, and now the Associated Press.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The rule of three: Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson. eerie!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I'm old enough to remember Michael Jackson through all his phases- from the Jackson 5 on. He was a magical star during his height. It was sad how he fell during his later years, but my prayers and condolences go out to his family. He was a cultural icon, and his music will live on. RIP Michael!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard