LCD TV GHOSTING ISSUE

Chit-chat, current events
MichiganJ

Re: LCD TV GHOSTING ISSUE

Post by MichiganJ »

Noise reduction is used to clean up ANALOG signals. Even when your TV is 1080p, it can still receive analog signals and in high resolution the "noise" becomes visible, which is where the "noise reduction" comes in. (It helps to eliminate the analog noise, thus a cleaner picture.)
For HD the noise is usually referred to as "Block Noise Reduction", because that "noise" appears as blocks, squares, ghosting, etc.

When not watching an analog signal, the noise reduction is unnecessary and can instead produce some of the problems being discussed. Feaito indicated that his DVD player is hooked up with a HDMI cable, so it's definitely digital and not analog (which would be RCA cables, generally) That's why I suggested trying it with the TV noise reduction off.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I also have my DVD recorder hooked up with an HDMI cable, only I just recently discovered that I had to select "HDMI" on my Television remote in order to actually have it work. Before, it was on "TV" or "Cable" and therefore I never got the sharper image you get when you select HDMI. Good grief, I'm so clueless with all these wires and cables and buttons!

I turned "Noise Reduction" off but still see those ghosting or "blocking" effects in the blacks.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

Michigan, April, Moira, Chris, Bill, Alison, thank you all for your very valuable feedback.

Last night I read once more, as thoroughly as I could -I hate reading manuals- my LCD TV manual and checked each and every feature; turning off noise reduction worked a little bit, but not as I expected. I still have to check if my DVD player upscales the quality of the image/picture of regular DVDs.

What annoys me is that certain features that were available in my Old WEGA are not anymore; i.e.: closed captions for DVDs and PIP (picture in picture) in the same mode (i.e.: watching two channels simultaneously). I bet I'm going to be a permanent visitor in the other bedroom where I placed my Old, reliable, -but very, very heavy- 32" WEGA.

Furthermore, the threat -due to burning of the image on the LCD screen- of not using too much the 4:3 aspect bothers me a lot, because I don't like watching Classic Movies in 16:9 format, not even zoomed in. Because you lose parts of it the screen. Just as bothering as it is watching widescreen films in PAN&SScan. I mean, what's the use of spending so much money in a product with these flaws....That's why I did not want to buy a new LCD TV. But my lovely wife musn't know all this. The only joy is watching and listening to Musical concerts and contemporary videoclips....
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

feaito:
I'm with you about the aspect ratios. That's why years ago I got into laserdisc, it was the only format at the time that offered films in their proper ratios. I still watch most of the classics in 4: 3, I just don't watch two in a row! (Or HD channels that still broadcast 4:3, fortunately ESPN is 16:9--gotta see my Mets!)
I'm unsure what model Samsung you have but if you are using an upscaling DVD player try putting the TV in GAME Mode. Also, turn off MOVIE PLUS. Hope this helps.

Miss Goddess:
I just saw that you have a Bravia, which means you may need to go into the "service menu" of your TV to fix the ghosting issues. Different models have different codes to enter the service menu, and I'm unsure if by doing so you may be voiding any warranty. I'd check your owner's manual to see if it mentions anything about a "service" menu. I think you have LCD Drivers which may need to be changed from 10 to 11.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

MichiganJ wrote:feaito:
Miss Goddess:
I just saw that you have a Bravia, which means you may need to go into the "service menu" of your TV to fix the ghosting issues. Different models have different codes to enter the service menu, and I'm unsure if by doing so you may be voiding any warranty. I'd check your owner's manual to see if it mentions anything about a "service" menu. I think you have LCD Drivers which may need to be changed from 10 to 11.

Thank you MichiganJ---I will do that! I'll also keep playing around with all the settings---there are SO many---and see what works. By the way, my TV also has a "Game Mode" option----should I consider it? I don't think my Panasonic DVD recorder does, though.

I'm also wondering---the HDMI cable i have connects the DVD recorder to the cable box---but the connection to the TV is via the different colored cable (RCN?). Should I also have an HDMI cable hook-up to the TV??
-- Will Rogers
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Miss Goddess,
First,"Yes" try the Game Mode on the Sony. Your DVD player is likely fine, both you and feaito seem to be having picture problems stemming form the TV itself (or so it seems).

A question for both of you, do you see ghosting in the regular TV/Cable broadcast picture or is it only when watching movies on the DVD player?

I've never heard of RCN cables, MissGoddess, you have me stumped there. (Can you see what input on the back of the TV it is plugged into? Does it have a different name than RCN?)
If the cable box has a a HDMI cable out and your TV has HDMI in, I would suggest connecting them with a HDMI cable, but lets wait until we figure out the RCNs.
How is your DVD player connected to the TV? Do you have other components hooked up, too. (VCR maybe, and how is that hooked up?)
May I ask what model Sony you have?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I think I goofed, I do have the HDMI cable hooked up between the TV and either the DVD recorder or the cable box. I think it's hooked to the DVD-R. It's hard for me to reach the backs of the cable box and DVD recorder to tell for sure.

So I guess I'm "hooked up" correctly---unless you're supposed to also have an HDMI cable from the box to the DVD-R. I do know for certain I only have one HDMI cable, ha!

As to the picture issue, yes, I do see it occasionally on broadcast movies and shows, not just with DVDs.

I have the Sony Bravia KDL-32XBR6.

I'll figure it out, I appreciate your patience, lol, as I know my technophobia makes it a pain.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hey, I think I fixed it---I turned the "Noise Reduction" to high and the TV (cable) picture looks better---I see almost no "ghosting" in the black or dark parts of the images. I'll have to test it next on my DVDs.
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

MichiganJ wrote:feaito:
I'm with you about the aspect ratios. That's why years ago I got into laserdisc, it was the only format at the time that offered films in their proper ratios. I still watch most of the classics in 4: 3, I just don't watch two in a row! (Or HD channels that still broadcast 4:3, fortunately ESPN is 16:9--gotta see my Mets!)
I'm unsure what model Samsung you have but if you are using an upscaling DVD player try putting the TV in GAME Mode. Also, turn off MOVIE PLUS. Hope this helps.

Miss Goddess:
Thanks a lot Michigan, I'll check tomorrow and revert.

My Samsung is Model LN40A550P3R.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

feaito wrote:Furthermore, the threat -due to burning of the image on the LCD screen- of not using too much the 4:3 aspect bothers me a lot, because I don't like watching Classic Movies in 16:9 format, not even zoomed in. Because you lose parts of it the screen. Just as bothering as it is watching widescreen films in PAN&SScan.....
I am completely with you, Fernando. There is NO way I would watch a 4:3 picture with 16:9 resizing!!! Like you say, it's like going back to PAN&SCAN... :cry:
Just look at the following, would you watch City Girl resized this way? I wouldn't.....
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Miss Goddess,

It sounds like you have an analog hook up from your cable box to the TV, so yes, that's when you want the NOISE REDUCTION on.

If the DVD is hooked up with a HDMI, I'd try it with the NOISE REDUCTION off (the HDMI means the signal is digital.)

You may just need to switch the NOISE REDUCTION to on/off depending on what you are watching.

Much of this stuff is trial an error and I'm glad you've had some success!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I've wandered around the house and to neighbors to see if I could locate these problems (with hopes of the solution) but I guess we've been lucky.

I have seen some evidence of the old "burn in" issue showing up on new flat-screens, though, and this angers me. Unfortunately for the TV sellers, the people who suffer from these issues are TCM fans and the burn-in borders only show up on HD local-news broadcasts - "It's not important TV anyway - at least TCM looks just fine," is their comment. So the TV sellers won't be getting repeat sales from those folks any time soon.

On the good news front, however, I'm seeing smaller flatscreens (17-19") for sale at prices that rival the old CRT TV sets (sub $200). I always preferred a separate small TV in my computer room but have been living with TV-cards in my computers for the last 3-4 years instead. Now, however, I'd happily peg one of these small screens on a wall instead of allocating computer-screen space to them.