New Enough Thread

Chit-chat, current events
silentscreen

New Enough Thread

Post by silentscreen »

Well now after President Barrack Obama has been in office for almost half a year, how does everyone think he's doing? I have recently discovered a relative in England, and we get along quite well, even to the point of discussing politics, which is really amazing! This is a hot topic that I can't really discuss with just anyone. Kind of like religion, which my Mom told me never to discuss with any one. I personally think the honeymoon is over if even Bill Maher is dissing him. I hope I'm wrong though. I didn't vote for him, but neither did I agree on everything Bush did either. But I think it's time he really stood up to the plate for what got him into office. Too many people voted for him for that reason, and he made you believe he was different.

"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Re: New Enough Thread

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What does your cousin say about British politics, we have had MPs from all parties misusing the expenses system some just trying it to see how much they could get away with and others plain lying. Everyone is very disillusioned.

At least you did chose your leader, Gordon Brown can't lay claim to that.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:What does your cousin say about British politics, we have had MPs from all parties misusing the expenses system some just trying it to see how much they could get away with and others plain lying. Everyone is very disillusioned.

At least you did chose your leader, Gordon Brown can't lay claim to that.
Bruce says he doesn't trust President Obama,and his family is tradtionally from the working class party. There's plenty of misuse and lying in politics the world over. Unfortunately the ones we put in office aren't worthy of our trust. We've not gotten into a discussion about British politics yet, but we will.
charliechaplinfan

It sounds like he could have been for the Labour party, they are the traditional party of the working classes but what he would be these days, I wouldn't like to guess.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You are correct in stating it's been six months, but as Obama said, it is going to take time, and it will get worse, before it gets better. Six months is not much time to straighten up the mess he came into. Bill Maher did not diss him entirely, only that he doesn't feel he's being tough enough. He does, however, respect the fact that Obama takes his time before acting unlike some others we know. The fact still remains that regardless of how much of a mess he inherited, both parties are still fighting him tooth and nail. I truly believe it's a matter of racism in a lot of stupid people who just can't accept a black man as president even though many of them voted for him (probably just to get Bush out), and anyone was better than one of his buddies.

So, from my ivory tower, I remain,

Sincerely,

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I respectfully disagree about the racial part in the context that you state. It is about race in that people think that. It becomes about race from the standpoint of merely pointing out the fact that he is half black. If Hillary had been elected, we wouldn't be having that conversation even though many of her polices are his policies as well.The fact that he was elected proves that we've moved beyond the prejudice for the most part. Granted there are some people who are still like that. I think that some people just disagree with his policies and methods,and thank God we live in a country (unlike Iran) where we're entitled to do that.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I feel sorry for Gordon Brown. I very much get the impression that he personally isn't guilty of any wrong doing regarding claiming expenses, he's just been unlucky that on his watch, several other M.Ps, including party members on all sides of the house. I also feel, though Alison will probably respectfully disagree, that there isn't a suitable altertnative leader.

One worry I have being a Scot, is that the expenses crisis may get other voters from my home Country to vote SNP and speed up the possible process of full Independance which I'm totally against. Scotland, sorry Sir Sean, IMO can't survive without the rest of the U.K
charliechaplinfan

Stuart, I agree with you about Scotland surviving without the rest of the UK. It would be hard to make it independently, I sympathise and wish that we could celebrate over diversity and our uniqueness.

As for a credible alternative, I can't see one in the Labour party, it doesn't surprise me that he kept his premiership despite the upsurge against him. I can't see anyone else the Labour party would accept. I do blame Gordon Brown for a lot of the mess we are in, he's been incharge for many years and instead of putting by money when the going was good, he spent it and more besides.

All I can say is I look forward to May 2010, for sure he has to be out then.

I think we are destined to mostly disagree than agree, but it's nice to have a conversation about it :) .