Robert Osborne

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Robert Osborne

Post by mrsl »

As you know, TCM has been showing loads and loads of movies I've already seen up to 4 and 5 times lately, so I haven't been watching it very often. I check in every day on the electronic channel guide on U-Verse to see what's playing each day but very little has interested me. The reason for all this is, you know when you haven't seen someone for a while you notice if they've gained or lost weight, or gotten gray or whatever. Tonight I saw RO for the first time in months and I'm worried about him. If you see him everyday, you probably haven't noticed but he has bags under his eyes, and his cheeks are rather sunken. I love the man and think he is the epitome' of a perfect host whether on TV or my living room. So I'm not looking for trouble. I sincerely hope he has another ten years in him at least. I know he does a lot of traveling and a lot of personal appearances, but I hope he is taking care of himself.

That's all, just that I noticed and hope all is well with him because I hate to think of him getting sick and not being able to host for us.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Robert Osborne

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I also noticed the cheeks and was wondering if I was the only one who saw it. Hopefully, he is OK.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I think the big problem is the suits he's wearing. They are from last year or so and he has been dieting, under medical supervision, and they haven't gotten him a new wardrobe. Therefore he looks like he is swimming in his clothes and has lost a lot of weight.

The new July promos, it looks like they have gotten him some suits that now fit, so hopefully he will be looking better.

Part of it may be the way they were lighting him as well. If they hadn't adjusted for his weight loss, the lighting would be unflattering.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank goodness someone else noticed this about Robert Osborne lately! I thought that RO looked as though his suits were far too big lately. I'm hoping he's feeling really buoyant since the weight loss, but think that a bit of judicious tailoring might be in order. They look like expensive suits, but could look less like a tent on the man with a few seams here or there or, as is done all the time with models, a few carefully placed safety pins around back might make things look more fitted.

Lynn-Aren't the intros and outros filmed about 6 months in advance?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've had recordings from TCM sent to me before now and I'm quite fond of Robert Osbourne. I do hope he is fine.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed RO slurring some of his words? I hope it's my ears, and not him. He's such gentleman.

I found the original episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies", and he appears as Mr. Drysdale's assistant. WOO HOO, WHAT A CUTIE!!!!! :D
I still prefer the "seasoned" Mr. Osborne :oops: :oops:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

He's fine, as Lynne said, he didn't like how he looked before so he put himself on a diet with a nutritionist.

I think I prefer him with a few extra pounds, it made him look younger (generally does).

Since I have my fancy new 16:9 TV, everyone looks like they have a few extra pounds so I don't notice
the change as much. :roll:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I think I prefer him with a few extra pounds, it made him look younger (generally does).
Shazam. I must look like I'm 25!!!!! :lol: :shock:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Actually it was the bags under his eyes that called his appearance to my attention. I didn't even notice the suits (and I used to work in the mens suit department at one time). At 64 I slur a word every now and then when I'm tired and I do not drink alcohol of any kind, so if at 77 he messes up a word now and then, more power to him. This post was not meant to be a 'pick on RO' thread believe me, I adore the man.

I believe he does pre-record his intros, but last night I noticed he used phrases like our movie tonight, and later tonight which led me to believe he may record some of them by themselves to illustrate certain themes of the week, or actors/directors.

Anne
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, I wasn't trying to "pick on" RO, I was just asking if anyone else has noticed him having difficulty with some of his words.
Having been a caretaker for a stroke victim for 8 years, I guess I'm a little more attuned to listening to speech patterns, and I hoped I was wrong in this case.
charliechaplinfan

I finished watching The White Sister (thanks Ollie) and saw Mr Osbourne on a clip at the end. I know exactly what you mean, hopefully the diet will ensure that he will be around for us to enjoy for a while yet.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I noticed the change, which I ascribed to middle-aged weight loss. Our skin just doesn't snap back the way it used to once we pass 40 or so.

I seem to remember that his slurring of words has been noticed before; I'm sure I read about it at the TCM site some years ago. Maybe that's just the way he talks (have you ever tried to listen to nymphette actress Tara Reid? can't understand a word the girl says); or maybe his teeth don't fit properly; who knows?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I finished watching The White Sister (thanks Ollie) and saw Mr Osbourne on a clip at the end. I know exactly what you mean, hopefully the diet will ensure that he will be around for us to enjoy for a while yet.
I fear such "diets" often do far more damage than eating normally.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm sorry knitwit, I guess you got me on two points. I had a stroke in 1999 so as I said I slur every now and then, and I also suppose I sounded kind of proprietary about my post.

Anne
Anne

charliechaplinfan

Is it a fad or an extreme diet he's been on. It's healthier to get your BMI down to between 20 to 25, if possible but you've got to take it gradually. Extreme dieting, fasting or faddy diets are bad news. I hope he's done it properly.