Hate

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: Hate

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think it just shows a certain section of the American political machine in a bad light, not it's people or their wants or fears. I try to listen to a decent news program every morning, that has said that Obama isn't calling for a health service like ours, in fact he has called into doubt the governments ability to manage such an undertaking, I suppose this doesn't help the people who are calling for nationalised health care. I guess I just feel that some things should be shouldered by all and healthcare is a need and should be contributed to by all those able to do so and available to everyone. America is often portrayed in our media as the land of the free, the leaders of the free world and the home of he have and havenots, it's always seemed to me to be a contradiction.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

First of all, let me say that I'm not unhappy with the health care that I've received over the years through my private insurance. (Provided by companies that I've worked for, and almost free to me as an employee.) But secondly, in the interest of being fair and balanced, I'll tell a little story.

In January, I went on the Internet, and was able to find a half brother that I had heard about when I was young. He is the son of my father sired while he was in England during WWII. Alison knows the story. She helped me find him by providing me with some links for the area that his Mom was born in. He lives in Essex now, but was born in Suffolk. I had seen his birth certificate and remembered his Mother's name. Any way, I found him, and it's been fabulous. He's a very nice man, and I'm planning on seeing him next year. We have corresponded and spoken over the phone since January. I asked him if, as a British citizen, if he's ever had the opportunity to use NHCS. He has private insurance now as he's still employed, but he said yes once he did. One of his retinas became detached, and he said he received excellent care with NHCS, and they saved his eye sight. So let's just say, that while I'm still wary, I'm becoming more open minded about it. He will be retiring soon, and I'm sure that the NHCS will be all he has, and he's diabetic, requiring Insulin several times a day.

I kind of wish this thread wasn't entitled "Hate", since there is no hate involved, just citizens questioning government, and where would we be without that? We certainly did that while Bush was in office, and rightfully so. We should do the same with any President. No one gets a pass. It's because the current administration hasn't brought the parties together like I hoped they would, that I have my doubts. You can cry on about Palin (whom I don't care for.) and others all you like, but there are others in the Democratic party that have caused division too. Just today I heard that Ed Schultz was decrying about how Christians should be behind President Obama because he's a Christian. This is a calculated political move, because weren't the same people against Bush because he got into office on the backs of Christians?
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I heard that Ed Schultz was decrying about how Christians should be behind President Obama because he's a Christian.

So now Christians can't disagree? Someone needs to inform the Episcopalians.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Oh Christians disagree quite a bit, contrary to popular belief. Believe it or not, some of them even voted for Barrack Obama. 8)
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I know. Churches are full of them. (I used to be in one.) It just seemed odd that Schultz thought that we somehow shouldn't disagree.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."