CINEMAVEN'S PICKS FOR OCTOBER

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CineMaven

CINEMAVEN'S PICKS FOR OCTOBER

Post by CineMaven »

Hi there Everybody,

I love my TCM, but I’m going to go rogue here in the name of Classic Films.

If you have the Fox Movie Channel on your cable system, you are in luck for October. There are a bunch of films airing in October that you might want to check out. My list is extremely subjective but for objectivity’s sake you may always check out the website at:

http://www.foxmoviechannel.com/schedule.php

I list the Fox Movie Channel here b’cuz these films are classics and sometimes (if ever) hard to find on Turner Classic Movies. And who in their right mind would turn down the chance to see Linda Darnell or Tom Santschi just because they weren’t on T.C.M. So as not to clog up or spam each thread, I’ll list my picks here in one fell swoop. And if there is a more appropriate place for this thread, please let me know. Thanx!

I'm hopeful that some of these films my tickle your palate.

THE LUSCIOUS: LINDA DARNELL:

* "A LETTER TO THREE WIVES” (Please Mr. Postman...)

10/ 4 - 1:30 PM
10/12 - 2:00 PM
10/21 - 12:00 PM
10/23 - 12:00 PM
10/29 - 10:00 AM

* ”FALLEN ANGEL” (I hear she’s FrankGrimes’ REAL pin-up Noir babe. Sorry Gloria).

10/ 6 - 10:00 AM

* "SLATTERY'S HURRICANE" (Enthusiastically suggested by Miss Goddess)

10/11 - 2:00PM

* ”BLOOD AND SAND” (Well...if a matador just HAS to choose...)

10/12 - 10:00 AM

* ”MARK OF ZORRO” (...And Tyrone Power is not bad to look at either!)

10/14 - 8:15 AM
10/24 - 10:15 AM

*”MY DARLING CLEMENTINE” (Miss Kitty NEVER looked like this).

10/18 - 7:45 AM
10/29 - 8:15 AM

* ”STAR DUST”

19/21 - 6:00 AM

BEAUTIFULLY EVIL: GENE TIERNEY

* ”LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN” (The poorest excuse for a wife, daughter, sister, ex-fiancee and swimming instructor in the history of motion pictures but she’s so #@!*?! beautiful. The technicolor is so gorgeous and so intense, it will melt your retina. Oh yeah...that’s a good thing).

10/ 7 - 9:30 AM
10/15 - 12:00 PM

* ”THE THUNDERBIRDS” (She’s bathing in a barrel. Whaddya want from me?)

10/ 7 - 9:30 AM
10/21 - 9:00 AM

THE HEARTBREAKING: JENNIFER JONES

* ”A FAREWELL TO ARMS” (She gets to kiss Rock Hudson. And that’s a bad thing??)

10/ 8 - 1:15 PM
10/27 - 1:00 PM

BEEFCAKE, EYE-CANDY & ONE BROW: VICTOR MATURE

* ”DEMETRIUS & THE GLADIATOR” (William Marshall is superb and with the most commanding voice...and on the distaff side, the lovely Debra Paget. Was she in every movie in the 1950’s?)

10/10 - 6:00 AM

* ”CRY OF THE CITY”
Check the FMC Schedule

ALL GROWN UP: DEAN STOCKWELL

* ”COMPULSION” (Our favorite curly-haired child star sans green hair is all grown up and ready to kill).

10/ 9 - 8:00 AM

SIXTIES SEX KITTEN: ANN-MARGRET

* ”THE PLEASURE SEEKERS” (And it’s quite litter of kittens with Pamela Tiffin and Carol Lynley. Here kitty, kitty!)

10/ 7 - 7:30 AM

WESTERNS: THAT WILL MAKE YOU LAUGH AND STOP YOUR HEART!

* ”BANDOLERO” (Raquel rocks the west)

10/10 - 10:00 AM

* ”THREE BAD MEN” (I hear Tom Santschi is catnip to the ladies).

10/18 - 6:00 AM

* ”THE OX-BOW INCIDENT” (Devastating...)

10/16 - 9:00 AM
10/18 - 9:30 AM

HER ROYAL HIGHNESS: BETTE DAVIS

* ”HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE” (Back together again in one form or another...)

10/14 - 1:30 PM
10/23 - 12:00 PM

Weren't they just one big happy Warner Bros. family:

Bette & Olivia: “In This Our Life”
Bette & Joseph: “Beyond The Forest”
Bette & Mary: “The Great Lie”
Joseph & Agnes: “Citizen Kane”

EARLY BOMBSHELL: MARILYN

”AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL” (Sharing the screen with future "Niagara" star, the beautiful Jean Peters).

10/21 - 7:30 AM

MAY - DECEMBER

*TEN NORTH FREDERICK” (May looks SUPER!)

10/17 - 6:00 AM

NOIR

*”SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT” (John Hodiak - Richard Conte - Lloyd Nolan and my new find: Nancy Guild who’s a cross between Gene Tierney and Ella Raines, with a teensy touch of Bacall to boot).

10/ 6 - 12:00PM

MODERN DAY

*”GUILTY CONSCIENCE”
(Anthony Hopkins & Blythe Danner)

10/20 - 4:00 PM

* ”COLD AROUND THE HEART” (1997)

For me...this was the BEST movie of 1997. I wholeheartedly recommend it. ”Hey Jude!!!”

These are my very subjective picks of films to look out for in October.

Thanxx for your time.
Last edited by CineMaven on October 5th, 2009, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Re: CINEMAVEN'S PICKS FOR OCTOBER

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I wish the Ox Bow Incident would get released as a region 2. It's been shamefully neglected. Good choices Cinemaven.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanxx so much Charlie. I hope you see some films that interest you. Or, check Fox's schedule for more. :) :?

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lots of great films. You and my brother have very similar tastes. He's a big fan of Darnell, Tierney, and Margaret (and no, his last name isn't Grimes). :wink:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Mr. A.,

Your brother sounds like a very VERY wise man! :lol:

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

CineMaven wrote:Mr. A.,

Your brother sounds like a very VERY wise man! :lol:
Not really. :P How could he like Ann Margaret and hate Once a Thief (1965)?

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Great list, Maven. I don't get FMC, but I can enjoy your picks anyway, can't I?

I am so happy you included Three Bad Men. Tom Santschi - be still my heart! I'll just post a photo (if that's alright with you, Maven)of the gorgeous Mr. Santschi for those of you who don't know him. His acting is even better than his looks, which are considerable. Before Spencer Tracy, there was Tom.....

click to enlarge:

I also want to thank you for mentioning Compulsion, which although flawed, is one of my favorite movies. I really love Dean Stockwell, as an adorable kid, as a brilliant but icy teen, as a gangster adult.... any way at all. I keep waiting for TCM to schedule an interview or ask him to be a guest programmer. Anyway, Compulsion has Stockwell's deranged but oddly tender turn as a teen killer, and my favorite ever performance by Orson Welles. If you can see nothing of this movie, at least see the last twenty minutes, in which Welles delivers a speech on capital punishment that I defy anyone not to agree with by the end of the film. If you think Orson Welles is a ham of the first degree, watch this film before making that assumption.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What a ringing endorsement for "COMPULSION." Nice. Is there anything you want me to tape for you? (I don't have a DVR). And Tom has kind eyes.

Mr. A. I don't know "ONCE UPON A THIEF" but it looks intriguing. 60's European movies with American actresses (Jane Fonda, Jean Seberg). I like 'em. But can anything be bad with Alain Delon?? Call me shallow, but even if a movie's bad at least one has something good to look at.

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Once a Thief is actually an American film with Delon, Margaret, Jack Palance, and Van Heflin. While, it's not the best example of 60's noir (it seems like an American Rififi [1955], but not as good), Delon and Margaret are superb, as is Van Heflin (when wasn't he great?) and play off one another quite well.

[youtube][/youtube]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

American? Whoa. I wonder why your brother doesn't like it?

Van Heflin...I've really had to learn to appreciate him. ("Madame Bovary" "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers").

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Maven, my thanks too for including THREE BAD (ADORABLE) MEN on your schedule. :D

One you didn't list and I think you should try to catch is one of my favorites: SLATTERY'S HURRICANE.
It airs on Sunday (10/11), I believe. It stars Richard Widmark (in a great "heel" role), Linda Darnell
and Veronica Lake in one of her last decent roles (she's heartbreaking). It's got shades of Only Angels
Have Wings and other earlier pilot adventure movies but the real interest lays in the performances.

And THANK YOU for mentioning TEN NORTH FREDERICK...I can't believe Fox is airing it and I didn't
know! THIS is a movie I tend to shout about when I want people to see how extraordinary and actor
GARY COOPER was...he will break your heart as a man caught up in the modern version of the "American
Dream"....a man who deep in his heart is not made of the kind of corrupt material he needs to be to
succeed in that dream...oh, it's painful and beautiful at the same time. The movie itself is very uneven---a
cast that is great (Coop, Geraldine Fitzgerald as Coop's loving wife, Philip Ober who always reeks smug,
Babbity smoothness) and mediocre (Diane Varsi, Ray Strickland as the kids) are handled with little inspiration
by director Philip Dunne (great screenwriter, ho-hum director. He used to say John Ford's movies were
great because of HIS great scripts...well, Phil, you should have kept your mouth shut and begged Ford
to direct this one for you.) But see it for COOP. He is magnificent and deserves an Oscar even more
than for High Noon. I don't think he was even nominated.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"THREE BAD MEN": I've --heard-- read you & some other TCM-ers rave about Mr. Santschi. Guess I'd better s-see what all the hub-bub is about. Cute your editorializing how adorable the bad men were... :D

"TEN NORTH FREDERICK": I've been going back & forth with Gary Cooper for a number of years. Recently, I just couldn't take the "Aw shucks!" attitude he had with women in the 40's after the heat he generated with Clara Bow and Lupe Velez and Dietrich (in films and personal life). Our ramble about "HIGH NOON" got me to re-appreciatin' this tall drink of water. I look forward to seeing this again. It's been many years. Can you speak a bit about your thoughts of Suzy Parker in this? If Greer Garson were a super-model, she'd look like Suzy. Also, I've always been a fan of Geraldine Fitzgerald's.

"SLATTERY'S HURRICANE": I've heard of this film but am not familiar with it. I'll take your recommendation to heart Ms. G. The heel in Widmark ("NO WAY OUT") gets under my skin...but I didn't realize Darnell was in it. The performances...Okay. I'm there, and note this in my schedule above.

"COLD AROUND THE HEART": I know this is a more modern film, on the violent side too I'm afraid (but integral to the plot), but I do hope you and others give it a chance. Kelly Lynch is as bad as any 40's noir dame dared hope to be if it weren't for the Code. I'll understand if you folks don't watch, but I really hope you do. I literally ran out of the movie theatre skipping back in '97. If you guyz don't like it, I'll give you your money back.

markfp

Post by markfp »

There are certainly a lot of good films there, but with a couple of exceptions they've been run over and over and over again. With all the older films sitting in the Fox vault, FMC ought to be able to land at least a few dozen films that are new to their schedule.

When people complain about repeats on TCM, I always tell them to watch FMC for six months or a year. After that. they'll never complain about TCM repeats again.