Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
klondike

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote: Is Lord Love a Duck a British saying? I can remember everyone said it for a while when the "British Invasion" was going on....and no,Klonnie, I'm not talking about the one in the 1700's
If you're speaking of the English army under the Duke of Cumberland, when they pursued the Jacobite forces of Prince Charles Edward Stuart back into Scotland in 1746, cornered them on Culloden Moor and massacred several thousand Highlanders in roughly 50 minutes, I agree - the less said (out of context) the better; if you're referencing the British migrants flooding into Colonial America, that was already going full-bore in the 1600's, and my wife can tell you, her folks weren't liking the new neighbors very much right from the get-go.
If you're talking about the Brit Invasion in Popular Music, there remains only one question: 1960's or 1980's?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Geez, K, you're so.....technical.................
it was just a reference to the B.I. of the 60's.... and I still don't know the answer to the original question...you threw so much information at me I've forgotten what I asked.....sigh.....where am I??? who are you???? Is it tea time yet??????
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Nancy -
You got me curious so I went looking about the origin of 'Lord love a duck'.

I found that it was british, it was used by Ulysses and Wodehouse and no one seems to know where it came from!
Anyone else find out more?
B
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I googled it just now and apparently nobody is absolutely sure where the phrase actually originated. It's probably from the early 19th century, but no one is staking claim. One thing everyone seems to agree on is that it is of English origin. I, myself, often use the term 'ducky' which is from the roaring twenties, I think.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Might I suggest a thriller that will be aired Monday morning (10/26/2009):

2:15 AM Diabolique (1955)
A cruel man's wife and lover plot to kill him. Cast: Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot, Paul Meurisse. Dir: Henri-Georges Clouzot. BW-116 mins, TV-14

If you haven't seen it before, it's a classic. Set your DVRs.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Diabolique , c'est incroyable!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I must admit I wait for recommendations from members about which movies are coming up on TCM to avoid going over there myself to check out the schedule. This month however, I have been surprised that some movies have not been mentioned even in passing. Today, e.g., nobody suggested Inherit the Wind, for those who have not yet experienced it. This, without a doubt is an Essential movie; maybe not for the story or plot, but any film that pits Spencer Tracey against Fredric March, as lawyers in a 'names changed' courtroom drama about the Scopes Monkey trial, has got to be considered a training epic to young actors, directors, and camermen. Filmed near the end of their careers, both of these great lions go at each other like two young pit bulls in an arena, both in and out of court. Oddly, not a big fan of Gene Kelly, either as a dancer, singer or actor, as a callous reporter in this, I like him very much. This is the first time I'm saying this, perhaps because of the problems we're having right now, his sarcasm and skepticism are not as irritating as they have been in past viewings. Dick York, the young teacher who is the Scopes representative is actually a non-person, being there solely as the object of derision by the townspeople. The third important person (after Tracey and March), is Claude Akins as the town hell and damnation preacher. Claude was well known to TV viewers of the 50's and 60's especially in westerns but also in various detective series of the day. His sanctimonious preaching is so vivid, I lowered the volume on my TV so my neighbors didn't think I was watching some wild eyed preacher from the back woods.

Joking about that, really . . . but it's a pleasure to watch Tracey and March doing what they had been doing for a combined 80 or 90 years. If you missed it, keep an eye out for it, or add it to your next Netflix list.

.[/color]
Last edited by mrsl on October 26th, 2009, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anne

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's a great review, mrsl!

I always like Noah Beery, Jr. in this one too, as the quiet John Stebbins.... he and Tracy barely have one scene, but to me it's a high point in the movie.

Tracy is superb, mainly because it is not about his lines and how he reads them.... it's all about what happens in between the lines.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

On Nov. 10 and 11, TCM is showing several Robert Ryan movies in honor of his 100th birthday. In anticipation of that event, this week's issue of the Chicago Reader has a cover story on Robert Ryan and his family's history in Chicago.

What is exciting about the article is that it is "new" information. Ryan spoke little about his Chicago days and his biography, Robert Ryan: A Biography and Critical Filmography (Franklin Jarlett, 1990), is sparse on details. This "new" information is the result of mookryan graciously sharing a 20-page letter he wrote to his children that Mook discovered earlier this year.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/fi ... id=1223003
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
markfp

Murder at the Zoo & Uncle Silas

Post by markfp »

Just a reminder of a couple of goodies this weekend on TCM. Saturday (10/31) at 10pm eastern, MURDERS IN THE ZOO (1933). Lional Atwell at stars a crazed zoologist who uses animals to kill his wife's suitors. It also stars Charlie Ruggles, Gail Patrick and Randolph Scott. I recently saw this at a film society screening and it was a big hit. That was on 16mm film, hopefully TCM's copy will be much better.

On Sunday (11/1) at 10pm eastern, the rarely shown British film UNCLE SILAS (1947) starring Jean Simmons, Derrick de Marney and Derek Bond. Story of a young woman sent to live with her rather strange uncle when her father dies and a plot to kill her for her inheritance. This broadly acted film remindes me of the series of films starring Tod Slaughter. It's not a great film, but if you like these kinds of films, it's worth a watch. By the way, the first ten minutes or so are pretty slow, but once it gets going it's a lot of fun.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wow!!! :shock: :shock: "Murders in the Zoo" (1933)!! I've been after that film for years!! Please come back and share your views on the movie.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Have you seen the little promo segment TCM has been running lately featuring Peter O'Toole? Is this promo recent? I don't think I've seen him looking so healthy for quite a while. I do hope he's finally kicked whatever habits were keeping him looking like a thousand-year-old interred corpse.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

. . . . . HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH EVERYBODY . . . . .
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Noon (ET) Saturday the 21st is Anthony Mann's "Naked Spur." Jimmy Stewart and Robert Ryan at each other in a tough western.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."