Falcon Friday on TCM

ken123

Re: Falcon Friday on TCM

Post by ken123 »

I an Alfred Hitchcock Presents starring Jessica Tandy Tom Conway played Max Calodie, a ventriloquest, or did he ? :?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The Glass Eye a short story by John Keir Cross on Alfred Hitchcock with Tom Conway as a ventriloquist can be seen in its entirety here. Fine work by Jessica Tandy, Conway and, a very young William Shatner.

Conway as Max Colodi, ventriloquist. The stiffness required for this part may have been a bit disheartening for the actor, don't you think?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ken123

Post by ken123 »

moirafinnie wrote:The Glass Eye a short story by John Keir Cross on Alfred Hitchcock with Tom Conway as a ventriloquist can be seen in its entirety here. Fine work by Jessica Tandy, Conway and, a very young William Shatner.
I agree. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Now that Hitchcock show looks interesting....
Btw, in those pics of Sanders with his Gabor, I love the way that she always turns her face just in time toward the camera, even though she's generally being embraced by her hubby. Hmmm.
I wanted to see if anyone else noticed that while George seemed to be in love with Zsa Zsa, she seemed to be in love with the camera.

I believe that Sanders "authored" two crime novels meant to capture more revenue and publicity for the studio and for the Falcon series. According to IMDB, Sanders was featured in one of the novels, Crime On My Hands, in which he solved a murder on a film set. The book was ghost-written by Falcon screenwriter Craig Rice. George's dedication reads "To Craig Rice, without whom it would not have been possible.".

He was also credited as the author of the mystery novel, Stranger at Home. The book was actually ghostwritten by Leigh Brackett. His dedication reads, "To Leigh Brackett, whom I have never met".

I would certainly like to see more photos, but then, I am nuts about Georgie. I fear I have gone on too long about him already.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I sure am enjoying the "George Fest". :D

I like Tom Conway, but in no way do I think he's an actor. He really sleep walks thru movies in my opinion, making brother Georgie look like an Actor's Studio darling in comparison. Still, I like him. He was his most interesting in I Walked With a Zombie.

Wonderful pictures and poster, Moira!

Jackie---those inscriptions on George's books are HILARIOUS!

I wish I'd recorded the Falcon series, drat!! Did I already say that?
:P
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I wanted to see if anyone else noticed that while George seemed to be in love with Zsa Zsa, she seemed to be in love with the camera.

Zsa Zsa in love with the camera ! OMG I'm crushed ! :cry:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Zsa Zsa in love with the camera ! OMG I'm crushed ! :cry:
at least it was mutual.... :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

With Herbert Marshall as a character based on the author, W. Somerset Maugham, in the seldom seen movie about Gauguin, The Moon and Sixpence (1942). George is great in a difficult part.

George Sanders with Ann Dvorak in a particularly jaded moment in The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947). I have an old and beat up VHS of this, but I've never seen a DVD anywhere (it is still available on VHS in the states). Directed by Albert Lewin, the same singular mastermind behind The Picture of Dorian Gray, it has a wonderful production design and fine performances from an exceptional cast, including Dvorak, Angela Lansbury and Warren William (in his last role).

I'll try to post more later.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you so much for posting those photos of George, Moira. I have so much to be thankful for this year. :D
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I had forgotten that the transition from George to Tom was well-done in FALCON'S BROTHER.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Now that I'm finishing off these Falcon films, I have enjoyed the Tom Conway entries. Or maybe I just like the women in them. I mean, put Rita Corday (in a lot of Falc's), Veda Ann Borg ("...in Hollywood") and Barbara Hale in there, and I'll come away from these thinking how much fun I had watching them.

George had some of my favorite male supporting cast (James Gleason, Allen Jenkins, Edward Brophy, Turhan Bey (how did he get into these films? Was he slipping everyone tanna-leaf tea or something?), even Ward Bond. And George's females were favorites, too - the Barrie-Bari twins, Wendy and Lynn, Nina Vale, Gladys Cooper.

Tom only had Edward Gargan and Eddie Dunn as repeat customers, but he littered his other films with at least a couple of other favorites: Frank Faylen, Richard Loo, Keye Luke, Olin Howland, Robert Armstrong, Edward Brophy a couple of times, Elisha Wood Jr, Steve Brodie and the occasional Kennedy.

I think the death of Brother Falcon helped me accept Tom as some kind of vengeful reaper, and it was easy to cheer for him for the films. "Go get 'em, Tom! Sic those vicious Co-Ed's! Watch out for those ruthless smart-alecky taxi-cab drivers! Don't take any wooden horses from Della Street, either!"

I'm afraid I haven't paid much attention to the FALCON films before these last two 'schedules' on TCM. Do the other Falcon films get broadcast on TCM?