TCM Classic Film Festival (April 22-25, 2010)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: TCM Classic Film Festival (April 22-25, 2010)

Post by movieman1957 »

I'll be living vicariously through anyone that might be fortunate enough to go.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Me too.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

MissGoddess wrote:You can get the Classic pass for $399, but only until 12/18/09.
Yes, you are correct on this, then it goes back up to $499. Nonetheless, you're still not guaranteed seating. This seems very strange to me.

In any case, I will wait for a more fully fleshed out schedule. With Xmas looming, even the $399 is very spendy for me at this time of year.
klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:I'll be living vicariously through anyone that might be fortunate enough to go.
Aye . . . we also serve who sit in remote places & look at our TV's. :|
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I hear you, Rudy. I really want to go, but it will be tough to swing it. Really tough. If something irrisistible is announced, like Dan Ford appearing to talk about his grandpappy's movies, I'll just sell all my belongings and pitch a tent next to the Roosevelt Hotel. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

MissG -

If Dan Ford is there, I'll come and stalk him with you.....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:MissG -

If Dan Ford is there, I'll come and stalk him with you.....

Yay!! The Pappys Girls groupies!

Kingrat---as for waiting in line, I would suggest getting there SUPER early. If the sell-outs I see at normal retrospectives are anything to go by, this film festival will be a QUICK sell out.
-- Will Rogers
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

kingrat wrote:Miss G and rudyfan, like you I'll be waiting to find out more about the schedule. How much time would you have to figure for standing in line for tickets?
No idea at all. I suspect it depends on how well sold the tickets are. I believe I've misread regarding guarantee of seats. I'm sure with a pass you have a better shot than some poor movie buff slob like me with a single ticket to any event.

One would hope that pass holders would have some kind of reserved sections of seats. Dunno to early to tell.

I'm still feeling the sticker shock.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

rudyfan wrote:Yes, you are correct on this, then it goes back up to $499. Nonetheless, you're still not guaranteed seating. This seems very strange to me.
Many big film festivals [that are showing several films simultaneously] have this disclaimer. Usually there are separate lines. One line each for the various pass levels. In this case the Spotlight Passholders are given priority -- they'll be let in the theatre first; then the next levels and finally the single-ticket holders. If they are showing three movies in three different theatres, there's a minor lottery of who will get in. If the organizers have a good crystal ball it all works out well. When they don't, they'll put a film in a smaller house, and are surprised that this is the movie everyone wants to see, and not everyone can get in. Even Spotlight Passholders are told they "are not guaranteed seats".

When you buy a pass, you have to sign an agreement. My favorite clause was that you cannot attend a screening naked. Shoot, now I'll have to decide what to wear!

Now I wish we'd get more specific news on the premiere. Does the restored Star Is Born feature some newly found "lost" footage? Have they dispensed with the soundtrack-over-stills? Or did they just clean up the dust on the 1983 partial restoration? I bought a pass thinking it would be a fully restored version, but now I wonder. I'm considering returning the pass until I find out more regarding the premiere, as well as the remainder of the schedule...
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Well, Filmfans, it is understandable that the really neato film festivals emanate from the West Coast. Unfortunately, the realities of limited expenses and my limited ability to travel very far conspire against me.

There is the idea that we could meet regionally and have our own SSO film festivals. Certainly there is always something interesting showing in NYC, although I do realize that we are a pretty expensive venue. But if anyone else in the Northeast, for example, wants to try to organize something for the spring or summer, or another time next year, I'd be game to help and to try to attend.

I'm afraid I don't have the living space to put up guests, but there are some affordable, if not particularly luxurious hotels in the City. There is a big Marriott in my own Brooklyn, too, and it's just a short subway ride from Manhattan. (I think Mr. & Mrs. ChiO stayed there at some point.)

Anyone on the Eastern Seaboard near an arthouse, or a college film festival?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Now I wish we'd get more specific news on the premiere. Does the restored Star Is Born feature some newly found "lost" footage? Have they dispensed with the soundtrack-over-stills? Or did they just clean up the dust on the 1983 partial restoration? I bought a pass thinking it would be a fully restored version, but now I wonder. I'm considering returning the pass until I find out more regarding the premiere, as well as the remainder of the schedule...
Hi Moraldo,

This was tcmprogrammer's response to this at the TCM Message Boards:
tcmprogrammr

Re: *TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL HOLLYWOOD 2010*

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 9:55 AM in response to: hlywdkjk Reply

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding - we will be premiering the complete "Metropolis," but we don't (as of yet, anyway - there's always hope) have the lost footage from "A Star is Born." It is, however, a beautiful new restoration.
-- Will Rogers
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

MissGoddess wrote:
Moraldo Rubini wrote:Now I wish we'd get more specific news on the premiere. Does the restored Star Is Born feature some newly found "lost" footage? Have they dispensed with the soundtrack-over-stills? Or did they just clean up the dust on the 1983 partial restoration? I bought a pass thinking it would be a fully restored version, but now I wonder. I'm considering returning the pass until I find out more regarding the premiere, as well as the remainder of the schedule...
Hi Moraldo,
This was tcmprogrammer's response to this at the TCM Message Boards:
tcmprogrammr

Re: *TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL HOLLYWOOD 2010*

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 9:55 AM in response to: hlywdkjk Reply

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding - we will be premiering the complete "Metropolis," but we don't (as of yet, anyway - there's always hope) have the lost footage from "A Star is Born." It is, however, a beautiful new restoration.
Thank you, Miss Goddess. You just saved my bank account.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

jdb1 wrote: I was fretting that the cost of airfare and hotel alone would be too much, but this is ridiculous. These sound like industry attendee prices, not average citizen prices.
Agreed. I'm still unemployed but was still thinking about saving up money from my temp job to go. At this point I'm only interested in the new STAR IS BORN and that's it. And attending one movie is not worth hundreds of bucks to me. Now, I might pay the lower-end price to attend a QT film festival (if another one is ever planned) or even to see some precoders or silents that hadn't been shown in ages. But not for (presumably) ALL ABOUT EVE and CLEOPATRA. I have DVDs of both and a widescreen TV and that's OK for me.

-Stephen
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

We don't have tickets yet but we're seriously thinking about it. Hollywood is driveable for Phoenix if we aim at a week and do some sightseeing first.

The price is steep but not outrageous. Every single one of these films has special guest appearances, Q&As etc. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of other stuff going on in and arond the showings too.