Favorite TV Shows

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Jon, darlin':

You have no idea what happens when you're sixty and have back trouble from years of carrying 30 extra pounds on top since you were 12, and how the muscles deteriorate without assistance.

jdb1:

I'm with you on the figure and comfort zone.

As far as the wispy clothes go, I think she wears them as advertisements for her store on the show. She doesn't sell antiques per se, but vintage things, including clothing. The things in the store are mainly items from the 50's through the 80's. Unfortunately however, I don't know if even the producers and directors, or costume people are aware that she often wears what were really pajama tops as everyday wear. e.g. the black top she wore in the seasons final show was definitely a p.j. set, without the panties, unless she had them under her skirt!

johnm:

I keep checking, but I haven't seen a start date for either Dead Zone or the 4000. I wish they would hurry up!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

[quote="mrsl
I'm with you on the figure and comfort zone.

As far as the wispy clothes go, I think she wears them as advertisements for her store on the show. She doesn't sell antiques per se, but vintage things, including clothing. The things in the store are mainly items from the 50's through the 80's. Unfortunately however, I don't know if even the producers and directors, or costume people are aware that she often wears what were really pajama tops as everyday wear. e.g. the black top she wore in the seasons final show was definitely a p.j. set, without the panties, unless she had them under her skirt!

Anne[/quote]

Yeah, I can see how her wardrobe would be an advertisement for her store (where are all the customers? Isn't her town supposed to be someplace like Hudson, NY, where all the antiquers from Manhattan descend on the weekends?). But rather than looking vintage, I think she just looks kinda dumpy. Too bad - she's not a dumpy girl by any means. I don't this show would be half so appealing without JLH as the star.

However, these are mere quibbles -- it's a highly derivative show, yes, but still a very entertaining one, and I'm always interested to see in what direction they will take their latest supernatural twist.
benwhowell

"Work!"

Post by benwhowell »

Judith, I haven't read the Max Shulman books, but he did write many episodes of the TV series. "Manic and subversive" are great descriptions of this satirical sitcom. I love the sharp, fast-paced dialogue and the fantastic cast with fantastic comic timing. Maynard G. Krebbs (Bob Denver) and Zelda Gilroy (Sheila James Kuehl) are my favorite characters. And Doris Packer as Mrs. Chatsworth Osborne, Sr. But we can't forget Dwyane Hickman, Frank Faylen and Florida Friebus as the Gillis family...and all the other regulars and semi-regulars-Steve Franken, William Schallert (who was in everything!,) Jack Albertson, Jo Anne Worley, Daryl Hickman, Michael J. Pollard, Raymond Bailey, Warren Beatty and Tuesday Weld!! Even little Ron Howard and Mel Blanc did a coupla episodes.
Why is this (entire) series not on DVD?
Dewey, thanks for reminding me of "Twin Peaks." I don't know how I forgot that one. I'll have to update my list...the top fifty-one.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I don't watch a lot of TV on a regular basis, but I love "The Gilmore Girls," and I'm sad that it is finished. (Though it will always live on in syndication, I suppose and on DVD) The writing is what makes the show (except for the season Rory cut loose and lost her mind). The dialogue is snappy and the writers assume that their veiwers have a brain, have read many books and have seen movies made before 2000.

Stargate is another show I watch and I am sorry to see it go too. Why is it the good ones end, and we get yet another CSI or Law and Order? Or god help us, another reality show??

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

I think "The Dead Zone" (and maybe "4400") are starting June 17. I saw it in the Wall Street Journal.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Re: I'm Like Gettin' All Misty, Good Buddy!

Post by jdb1 »

benwhowell wrote:Judith, I haven't read the Max Shulman books, but he did write many episodes of the TV series. "Manic and subversive" are great descriptions of this satirical sitcom. I love the sharp, fast-paced dialogue and the fantastic cast with fantastic comic timing. Maynard G. Krebbs (Bob Denver) and Zelda Gilroy (Sheila James Kuehl) are my favorite characters. And Doris Packer as Mrs. Chatsworth Osborne, Sr. But we can't forget Dwyane Hickman, Frank Faylen and Florida Friebus as the Gillis family...and all the other regulars and semi-regulars-Steve Franken, William Schallert (who was in everything!,) Jack Albertson, Jo Anne Worley, Daryl Hickman, Michael J. Pollard, Raymond Bailey, Warren Beatty and Tuesday Weld!! Even little Ron Howard and Mel Blanc did a coupla episodes.
Why is this (entire) series not on DVD?
Dewey, thanks for reminding me of "Twin Peaks." I don't know how I forgot that one. I'll have to update my list...the top fifty-one.
Good question. Dwayne Hickman has his own website, which is devoted primarily to selling his own artwork, but which discusses his long career. He also offers for sale videos of The Bob Cummings Show on which he played Cummings' nephew Chuck. Hickman says that there are no videos of Dobie available, although he has had requests for them. He says the rights are jointly owned by Fox and Schulman's estate, and offers a link to Fox for those who are interested. I think we are to infer that there are rights issues between the two owners, and that someone is dragging his feet.

Hickman also has a nice tribute to Bob Denver on the site.

Anyway, if you come across Schulman's Dobie books, by all means snap them up - I'm sure they are out of print. The first shows us Dobie in high school, and is called I Was a Teenage Dwarf. The second takes Dobie through college (U. of Minnesota) and is called The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. Both books are a hoot, and just as in the TV show, Dobie is relentless in his pursuit of the wrong woman. I can still recall reams of text from these books - I don't think too much of them would seem dated even now.

You know, I've often thought that if you toned way down the goings-on in the Dobie TV show, you'd have something like Bob Newhart. Dobie, like Dr. Hartley, was an oasis of calm among a sea of high-strung, eccentric, and very funny companions.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

mrsl wrote:Jon, darlin':

You have no idea what happens when you're sixty and have back trouble from years of carrying 30 extra pounds on top since you were 12, and how the muscles deteriorate without assistance.
Ok, I consider myself properly chastened by you and Judith.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Re: I'm Like Gettin' All Misty, Good Buddy!

Post by SSO Admins »

jdb1 wrote:Both books are a hoot, and just as in the TV show, Dobie is relentless in his pursuit of the wrong woman. I can still recall reams of text from these books - I don't think too much of them would seem dated even now.
Interestingly, in real life Zelda turned out to be gay, and is currently serving in the California State Senate.

I'm with Dobie though. It's all about Tuesday Weld.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Judith asked: "Have you read Max Shulman's "Dobie Gillis" books, on which the series was based?"

Max Shulman's paperbacks were a staple on my parents' nightstand in the late 50s and one that I remember spiriting away was RALLY ROUND THE FLAG BOYS which was a pretty zesty satire about the advertising business (later turned into a pretty limp Paul Newman / Joanne Woodward movie). But the book was pretty funny (at least to this eleven year old, as I recall it) and just mildly risque enough to raise pre-adolescent eyebrows. Another thing I recall about the Shulman paperbacks was that the covers all greatly resembled one another and were often hard to tell apart.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dewey1960 wrote:Judith asked: "Have you read Max Shulman's "Dobie Gillis" books, on which the series was based?"

Max Shulman's paperbacks were a staple on my parents' nightstand in the late 50s and one that I remember spiriting away was RALLY ROUND THE FLAG BOYS which was a pretty zesty satire about the advertising business (later turned into a pretty limp Paul Newman / Joanne Woodward movie). But the book was pretty funny (at least to this eleven year old, as I recall it) and just mildly risque enough to raise pre-adolescent eyebrows. Another thing I recall about the Shulman paperbacks was that the covers all greatly resembled one another and were often hard to tell apart.
I think you'd still laugh if you read it now. I agree, the book is much better than the movie. We don't have too many humorists of Shulman's caliber around these days. Too bad his books are out of style - I think they are racy enough to interest today's literate youth (assuming there still are a few of those). I think Dobie and his humorous quest for the Perfect Woman is a story that knows no timeframe, and could easily be reworked for today's audience, although they would probably change his name to Jake or Brooklyn.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:
jondaris wrote:
jdb1 wrote:But I do dislike the billowy, baby-doll clothes she wears on the show. Trying for a distinctive "look" I suppose. I don't think they're very flattering to her. Sweetie, put on a bra.
Dear Jennifer,

Please ignore Judith's advice.

Thanks, Jon
Oh, I wish I could let this comment go, but I just can't, Jon. I'm assuming you've never subjected your body to constant abuse in the name of allure, as most of us women on Planet Earth have done. There is no longer any possibility of my wearing those torture devices some call high-heeled shoes; I've deformed my poor feet after all these years, and can only wear sneakers and flats.

IMO, JLH is a lovely girl, and there's no need for her to ruin her figure (which is what's going to happen). There are years of reconstructive surgery in her future if she keeps on this way. I really thought she was smarter than that.
jdb1;

Please forgive me for elbowing my way into what reads like a 1-to-1 chat, but I just felt compelled to ask you, nervously:
Is the Secret Global XX-chromasomal Council aware that you are dispensing "inside info" ? !
I only ask (timidly) cause I had this gal-pal once upon atime, and one day she told me just the teensiest l'il bit of what women really talk about in their "powder rooms" . . . and then, that night, she disappeared without a trace!
Gone! Mail address, phone #, job . . all sealed-up tight & evaporating behind her, like an episode of "Twilight Zone"!
And the scariest part? :shock:
I was shadowed for a week after that by a lipstick-pink Alfa Romeo coupe, with smoke-tinted windows, and sorority letters on the plates!
And -
Woops, there's a knock at the door, gotta go!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This conversation about the toll of being fashionable on the female form reminds me of a conversation that I once had with an erstwhile male-pal re: if only boys and girls of all ages could change places with one another for just a day!!

I suspect that we'd have lots more sympathy for the trials and limits that fashion, biology, and social convention place on our hearts and bodies. Btw, I haven't worn "real" high heels in a decade, and boy, are my feet thankful.
Yours,
Moira "happy-tootsies" Finnie
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Glad to see someone else on these boards except me and cmvgor all weekend.

Moira: I'm beginning to worry about our Klondike, poor thing must be suffering from some sort of snow fever or something. First he's put out because we don't think of him as the Hunk of Nome, and now he's dreaming up a stalker! Klondike, please come in from the cold!!!

BTW, I'm assuming those photos are your dogs. If so, if you can, would you post a few of the Huskies here on board? My little granddaughter loves Huskies, and she makes me scroll all the time to find your posts so she can see the pictures. I can't find the one with the puppies, she loved that one. When her other grandma took her to Build-a-Bear, she picked out a Huskie with a Huskie puppy, and a doghouse for both.

Thanks,

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Klondike, I've never met a woman of any background you can name with whom I haven't been able to hold a conversation. The thing about us women isn't that we have more going on in our existence than men have, but that we are willing to talk about whatever it might be without fear of being called sissies.

Say, JonD, have you seen Ms. Love Hewitt's new TV commercial for Hanes bras? I'm glad to see she does wear one on occasion, and very fetchingly at that. (Sigh - I remember when I looked like that . . . . only more Ina-ish.)