Kay Francis

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
srowley75

Re: Kay Francis

Post by srowley75 »

I just re-viewed In Name Only for the first time in ages, and I found myself surprised that such a film was made during the years of the code. While I thought Kay was fine, Carole Lombard stole the show from both Francis and Cary Grant. I again found myself mourning the fact that she died so young. We've discussed James Dean in the past few weeks, but I believe Lombard showed as much promise as an actress (if not more). Unlike many classic stars, so many of her performances - whether in dramatic or comedic roles - hold up well even today. If she'd lived longer, I can't help but think she'd have eventually taken at least one Oscar and been considered as legendary a performer as Bette Davis or Kate Hepburn.
I think that [Trouble in Paradise] be the most perfect film ever made.
I'd go further and say that Lubitsch may be the most perfect director that ever lived. I must've seen Trouble in Paradise, To Be or Not to Be and The Shop Around the Corner a dozen times each, and in recent weeks I've taken great pleasure in revisiting Ninotchka and Cluny Brown. And each time I see them I feel a mixture of sublime ecstasy and great sadness. We will never see another director with such an outstanding gift for witty, urbane comedy. I wish he'd made 100 more such films - if there's a heaven, I hope he's up there making more for us to enjoy. Every time I revisit one, I feel like I'm literally in paradise.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thankyou Rudyfan for sending me a copy of Jewel Robbery, I had so much fun watching it. It is a suggestive precode, perhaps one of the most suggestive I've ever seen and one of the most fun. I'm so surprised it's not better known, it's a film that even Lubitsch could have been proud of. I like William Powell, he's so much fun and noone can play suggestive better than Kay Francis.

I'm glad you've brought up Carole Lombard, I simply love her, her energy and sense of fun. I think she was capable of far more than the comedies she's most famous for, it's a pity we didn't get a proper chance to find out.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really can't add anything more, except to say that I really didn't care for Kay until I actually watched her movies back to back when she was TCM's star of the month. It was then that I realized that Kay was MUCH more than a clothes horse (although she is pretty great at that). Now I love her and make sure to watch when her movies are on.

My favorites are Jewel Robbery, Confession, and the divine Trouble in Paradise. Jewel Robbery must have been the most fun movie to make... Kay gives the most relaxed and sexy performance I've ever seen and it's a hoot! Thanks to missgoddess for cluing me in on that one.

I am still waiting for One Way passage to come around again so I can see it...
charliechaplinfan

I love One Way Passage, it will be worth waiting for.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just discovered it is on TOMORROW.... talk about ridiculous... usually when I bemoan my fate... having to wait for a movie to come up again, it is a six month wait... sheesh.

I don't deserve to watch it so soon.... I haven't suffered enough. :wink:
charliechaplinfan

Just make sure you remember to watch it :wink:
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I hate all of you for my whole Kay Francis Thing.

I've started getting more and more of these - how could I ever explain to Hedy, Tierney, Myrna about yet another Kay film? I mean, in the afterlife, they MIGHT grill me about it! Just how often can I insist, "No no, I'm watching Herbert Marshall in THIS one!"

"Yes, another Herbert Marshall film... no, Dear, this one's a Cary Grant film..." My wife catches me and I'm explaining, "No no, don't notice any women in it - this is another Ronald Colman film... or William Powell..." Yeah, well, I can sorta get around Wifey with excuses like that. She's still laughing about me wearing her undies over my head. "At least you're a pervert and I'm glad you weren't cleaning DVDs with 'em!" she said as she clicked the manacles shut again.

Whew! I was SO lucky with that excuse!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ollie, what ARE you smoking??????
feaito

Post by feaito »

Today I watched "British Agent" (1934) and let me tell you that Leonard Maltin rated this film *1/2 and called it a turkey!!! C'mon, it's a very good picture, with great production values, superb performances, an excellent storyline, Leslie and Kay make a wonderful couple and are supported by a large and impressive cast: César Romero, Halliwell Hobbes, Phillip Reed, Wiliam Gargan, Irving Pichel, J. Carrol Naish, Mary Forbes, Doris Lloyd....Leslie is a Diplomat assigned to the British Embassy circa 1917, during the Russian Revolution and WWI. Kay is a lady of the Russian nobility who renounced to her privileges and properties, joining wholeheartedly the Revolution and the Soviet Party (Lenin et al). Leslie and Kay meet and fall for each other, but they are on opposite sides. Kay's portrayal is most convincing and she makes a wonderful couple with Leslie, who plays an audacious, valiant character (it's such a pity that Howard is better know to today's audiencies mostly as the bland, weak Ashley Wilkes...when his real being and persona was nothing of the sort!). One can realize that WB-FN spend a lot of money in the making of this film and that the filming of massive scenes of the the Revoultion, War et al was superbly achieved. I thought that the movie was totally gripping and riveting and there were some quite gruesome scenes....deaths, shootings galore, and only towards the end the film lost its punch somehow, due to the happy ending.....but I'm not against it, because in spite that a atragic ending would have suited better the mood of the story, it was so tough that I was grateful for the final happiness -this time- although it was quite unbelievable. A small gem of a film that deserves to be rediscovered....excellent direction of the thousands of extras and great atmosphere...Kay is true to her political principles and so is Leslie....But Kay comes off as even more sincere in her beliefs...Each time I see Kay in a new picture I discover her genius as an actress. Kudos to her!