What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: What are you reading?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Anne, I felt the same, she tells it as it is and that particular bit is painful reading, they did love each other so much and were soul mates, it's a shame he didn't have a few more years. She was widowed at 32 and left with 2 young children, found and lost Frank Sinatra, then married Jason Robards. She's a strong woman.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I was still relatively young when she married Jason Robards and to this day, I think she married him on the rebound mainly because he resembles Bogie a lot. I wish I could do photos, to show what I mean, but both men around the age of 40 look a lot alike. Robards is a bit less craggy, but other than that, to me they are similar.

It's stressful to someone who used to read 3 or 4 books a week, hold down an executive admin. ass't job, raise 4 kids alone, and keep house, to take up to a month now to read one book. This memory thing works so weird. I don't absorb like I used to. Often I'll read the same page 2 or 3 times before all the info on it sticks in my mind. I can watch a movie or TV show and handle all the clues and/or facts, but reading them is a whole different world. That's probably another reason I don't like sub-titles, I don't immediately absorb the meaning of the words.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Anne, I don't really know Jason Robards, I think he was more sucessful on the Broadway stage, or that is what I remember from reading the book. Lauren Bacall writes a loving and memorable portrait of Bogie.

I'm sorry you can't read as voraciously as before, I'm at a loss to help you. You do remind me of my father who has been an avid reader for years yet can rarely get through a book these days, again it's lack of concentration, he blames some pills he's on.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Have you tried recorded books, Anne? Since you use a different part of the brain to hear than you do to see and read, maybe you'll be able to retain the text more easily if you hear it. Many public libraries have recorded books you can borrow.

I know I would prefer reading to hearing, but my eyesight is getting so bad and I find extended reading so tiring, that I may eventually switch to talking books myself. I'm sure you get used to it. The last one I "read" was Katharine Hepburn's recording of her memoirs "Me." It was a real hoot (a good one) to hear her reading her own words.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

One thing I like about the Evanovich Stephanie Plumseries is that it doesn't follow the usual formulae. You know Book 1 single, Book 2 Cute Meet, Book 3 married, Book 4 Baby. I like that she has romance in her life and that the author has been able to suspend that in a way that few books (or especially television series) can do.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

That might be a thought, Judith, Thank you. If these darn streets ever clear up completely so I feel safe in walking in the library parking lot, I may try. For weeks I've wanted to go and see if there are any ads up for book clubs. If I really put my mind to it, I'm sure I could read a book in a month, but I have to admit between this computer, and my DVR'd stuff on TV, and right now I'm making a baptismal white baby layette, I have to make time to read these days.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

A good friend got me a copy of Bill (swoon) Wellman, jr's book on his father, [+]A Man and his Wings[/+} which will be the next book I tackle after I finish [+]Hollywood Crows[/+], hopefully this weekend!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

Sorry, I seem to be stalking behind you on the board today.

I just wanted to mention this. Humphrey Bogart died in 1957, but after reading about his illness and the days leading up to his death, I almost feel like I was there yesterday. Lauren Bacall tells the story so poignantly, and in such a heartfelt way, you can almost envision his problems with the disease. Of course, since MrL went through the same exact thing, the facts are much more clear for me, but even so, she has a way of writing that brings you right into the situation. I kind of wish she would try a screenplay or two.
Anne

charliechaplinfan

It must make it very personal for you Anne. I remember reading Lauren Bacall's book at 18, it was the first time I'd read about illness and death, I was very moved by what she said, I read her story 10 years later with the same effect. Bogie struck me as very brave the way he dealt with his terminal cancer and Lauren brave in the way she faced up to her responsibilities and was able to recount it later. I wonder if their children ever read the chapter on Bogie's demise.

I'm half way through reading Showman - the life of David O Selznick, I read this a long time ago, it's hard to like DOS as he liked to be called but it's very easy to admire his vision and his films. He was a good spotter and developer of female talent, Vivien Leigh, Joan Fontaine, Ingrid Bergman and Jennifer Jones, yet he doesn't seem to have a very respectful view of women. He was a gambler both personally and in his business dealings he could also be duplitious and petty, his memos are the stuff of legend, yet the fact remains he made some of the great classic films of yesteryear.

One of the most intersting aspects of his biography is his wife Irene Mayer Selznick, DOS had affairs, was never very discreet, neglected her for the call of duty. She remains difficult to read, walking the fine line between LB and DOS (DOS not liking LB but LB admiring DOS).

I'm at the point where Phylis Walker is coming into view. I know very little of Jennifer Jones, I'm looking forward to reading more.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:One of the most intersting aspects of his biography is his wife Irene Mayer Selznick, DOS had affairs, was never very discreet, neglected her for the call of duty. She remains difficult to read, walking the fine line between LB and DOS (DOS not liking LB but LB admiring DOS).
You might enjoy A Private View by Irene Selznick after tackling David O.'s life in that great bio by David Thomson, Alison.

She wrote very well and had many insights about her husband, his personal troubles, and her own life as a producer after their marriage ended. She was a formidable and highly intelligent woman who seemed to have compassion for DOS and Jennifer Jones with little self-pity for herself. Copies of this book are available on Amazon in the U.S. for as little as 97 cents and on the UK version of Amazon for £ 2.08 (isn't that about $5?)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

I think I'll probably end up buying A Private View, thanks for the info Moira. She's in the shadows of both books, David Thomson did get chance to interview her about DOS, so she's more alive in the DOS book. I can't help admiring her from what I've read. Part of the reason for rereading the DOS book again was to more info about Irene and Jennifer Jones.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Lzcutter wrote:A good friend got me a copy of Bill (swoon) Wellman, jr's book on his father, [+]A Man and his Wings[/+} which will be the next book I tackle after I finish [+]Hollywood Crows[/+], hopefully this weekend!

I loved the Wellman book.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Take note, Janet Evanovich fans (are there more than two of us here?) --

It was announced today that the first of the Stephanie Plum books, One for the Money, will be made into a movie starring Katherine Heigl as Stephanie.

I've heard of this young woman, but I don't really know what she's done or what she looks like. Some of those bland and instantly forgettable romance things they keep throwing at us, I think. Or maybe I do know her, but it didn't register since all the young ones are so similar-looking these days. Can she act? Is she appropriate? Will she spoil our beloved World of Plum?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

She plays "Izzie" on Grey's Anatomy. I've seen her in some other things, also. She was in a made for TV movie made from a Christian romance novel. Love does something...can't remember the name...she was actually pretty good. I haven't read the Plum novels, so don't know what your expectations, and her abilities to fill them, are.....

glad you are ok, weather wise.....BE CAREFUL!!!!!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Kthryn heigl - totally doable. i just saw her in 27 dresses, very cute. she can do physical comedy and is the right age. but who's cast as the guys?