The Warner Archive

News and Upcoming Releases
feaito

Re: The Warner Archive

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the link Michigan. I read that "Murders in the Zoo " (1933) is definitely the best of the bunch. It's like the Fox Horror Movie Collection which includes "Dragonwyck" (1946) and two other low-budget films, the Mankiewicz film was THE reason for buying the set.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Among the new Warner Archive releases this week include a few films starring Richard Barthelmess:

Weary River (1929)
Son of the Gods (1930)
The Last Flight (1931)
Central Airport (1933)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

feaito wrote:Thanks for the link Michigan. I read that "Murders in the Zoo " (1933) is definitely the best of the bunch. It's like the Fox Horror Movie Collection which includes "Dragonwyck" (1946) and two other low-budget films, the Mankiewicz film was THE reason for buying the set.
Dragonwyck as a HORROR movie? Someone in the planning division of Fox has no idea that it is only vaguely gothic.
MichiganJ wrote:Among the new Warner Archive releases this week include a few films starring Richard Barthelmess:

Weary River (1929)
Son of the Gods (1930)
The Last Flight (1931)
Central Airport (1933)
Oh, good! I love The Last Flight, which is based on John Monk Saunders novel about the lost generation, disillusioned WWI aviators and a devastating "bad girl" flapper, played by Helen Chandler with her usual blend of vagueness and winsomeness. It may be one of the main reasons to get this one. I've only seen Central Airport among the others, (it wasn't very memorable), but after seeing what Richard Barthelmess was capable of in Heroes for Sale, I would like to see more of his films.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'd love to see Night Flight, I've read so much about it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I think the Dragonwyck-as-horror is exactly why I rail against so many corporate rightsholders - they're warehouses, not holders. Not keepers. We see so many misguided labeling efforts from them, probably spending weeks of 'committee time' instead of just an hour and a half of WATCHING the film! Jeepers. And yet these people are deciding the life and death of so many classic films. I'm so happy that the TCM wiz-kids do some real homework and give us so many lost gems.
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I'd love to see Night Flight
Apparently Night Flight has a ton of rights issues similar to Letty Lynton, so t wion't see the light of day anytime soon.

If you meant The Last Flight, well the film is a masterpiece.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
feaito

Post by feaito »

myrnaloyisdope wrote:
I'd love to see Night Flight
Apparently Night Flight has a ton of rights issues similar to Letty Lynton, so t wion't see the light of day anytime soon.
Yes it has, due to the ABEND decision concerning the copyright of the undelying work upon which the film is based (an Antoine de St. Exupery story or novel). I bought an officially released copy of Night Flight in Chile, some years ago, which is of very, very poor quality. The most unwatchable print I have ever seen along with the one I got from "The Big Pond" (1930). Excruciating to see!
charliechaplinfan

I was getting mixed up, The Last Flight is what I meant but I would like to see Night Flight too. Is Night Flight never aired on TCM?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

As far as I know, Night Flight (1933-Clarence Brown) with Clark Gable (and a supporting cast to die for) has never aired on American television due to copyright issues that Fernando cited. The Last Flight (1931-William Dieterle) has been broadcast several times on TCM.

I believe that the issues are not considered worth the money by the corporate powers that be to pursue this through the courts again.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:( Hey, You guys missed a boatload of new releases last month that were never mentioned at all here. Including 9 Silent films. :)

Wild Oranges (1924) Directed By King Vidor

Lady of The Night (1924) Norma Shearer, Malcolm McGregor, George K. Aurthur

The Merry Widow (1925) Mae Murray, John Gilbert Directed by Erich Von Stroheim.

La Boheme (1926) Lillian Gish, John Gilbert, Renee Adoree. Directed by Vidor.

Captain Salvation (1927) Lars Hanson, Marceline Day, Pauline Stark, Ernest Torrence.

White Shadows in the South Seas (1928) Monte Blue, Raquel Torres.

The Flying Fleet (1928)-Ramon Novarro, Anita Page, Ralph Graves.

Tide of Empire (1929)-Renee Adoree, Tom Keene Directed by Allan Dwan.

The Pagan (1929)-Ramon Novarro, Dorothy Janis, Renee Adoree, Donald Crisp.

Sunny (1930) Marilyn Miller. (Early talkie.)

Under 18 (1931) Marion Marsh, Anita Page. (Early Talkie)
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I think we all are sitting in stunned silence at the Vidors and Von Stroheim's being dumped into the archive. Maybe The Crowd is next!
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Justin,

:? They won't release THE CROWD through the Archive I don't feel. Unless it's something like the new CARY GRANT THE EARLY YEARS set, along with THE BIG PARADE and maybe SHOW PEOPLE. It's no coincidence that you haven't seen any Silents with Carl Davis scores, or with ties to Thames/Photoplay Productions and Kevin Brownlow through Warner Archive.

THE MERRY WIDOW release is slightly disappointing, because I was hoping for a newer restoration and either the Robert Israel, or Maud Neilssen Orchestra's scores that were prepared recently. Also I am wondering if they used dual-layer media?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Gagman 66 wrote::( Hey, You guys missed a boatload of new releases last month that were never mentioned at all here. Including 9 Silent films. :)

Wild Oranges (1924) Directed By King Vidor

Lady of The Night (1924) Norma Shearer, Malcolm McGregor, George K. Aurthur

The Merry Widow (1925) Mae Murray, John Gilbert Directed by Erich Von Stroheim.

La Boheme (1926) Lillian Gish, John Gilbert, Renee Adoree. Directed by Vidor.

Captain Salvation (1927) Lars Hanson, Marceline Day, Pauline Stark, Ernest Torrence.

White Shadows in the South Seas (1928) Monte Blue, Raquel Torres.

The Flying Fleet (1928)-Ramon Novarro, Anita Page, Ralph Graves.

Tide of Empire (1929)-Renee Adoree, Tom Keene Directed by Allan Dwan.

The Pagan (1929)-Ramon Novarro, Dorothy Janis, Renee Adoree, Donald Crisp.

Sunny (1930) Marilyn Miller. (Early talkie.)

Under 18 (1931) Marion Marsh, Anita Page. (Early Talkie)
An impressive list of films, indeed!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Gagman 66 wrote::( Hey, You guys missed a boatload of new releases last month that were never mentioned at all here. Including 9 Silent films. :)
Hey,
That's what I love about Jeffrey. You deliver good news and a dose of guilt simultaneously! :wink:

Actually, I do want to thank you and everyone else who contributes to this section regularly for info about impending releases. I would be sure to miss them otherwise. I also like it when you guys post your opinions of the technical aspects of these DVD transfers, as well as those critiques of the various embellishments on the discs. I hope you all keep 'em coming.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

I'm heartened to see so many silents being released, thanks for bringing it to our attention Jeffrey.