*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Vecchiolarry

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Nancy,

Just to let you know -
Lisa Gaye is Debra Paget's sister. She didn't really have as successful a career as Debra; but she was in many TV shows in the 50's and 60's.
I don't know much about their personal lives, but I have heard that they are both involved now in religion... But, that's a National Inquirer story (rumour) that I saw a year ago in a dentist's office. So, who knows??

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Nancy, Lisa Gaye is Debra Paget's sister. Check out her film credits at IMDb.com
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, guys! I will check for info on her, she is lovely
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, looks like we bumped heads although when I posted you weren't on the board yet which confuses me about the time differences in our posts.

In any event I did see Debra Paget, still lovely, on a religious program a few years ago.
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Good Morning Joe,

I think I just came on site & then off after I posted. I often just check "Candids" and only a few others and then don't linger.... That may explain why I was gone 20 minutes later....

We could really never "butt heads" equally, as you know so much more than me about movies & our starry gangof thespians. I'd lose - big time...
You are our chief here, and muchly appreciated always.....

Cheers to you and your family,
Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, I doubt if you would lose big time. Your recollections of your days in Hollywood are priceless. You were there in the flesh rubbing shoulders with the stars, something that we would have given our eye teeth for, and you shared it all with us.
You are a winner!
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 7th. BIRTHDAY

JULIETTE GRECO is 83 today

DORA BRYAN is 86 today

GLORIA TALBOTT (1931 - 2000)

JOE MAROSS (1923 - 2009)

KEEFE BRASSELLE (1923 - 1981)

JOCK MAHONEY (1919 - 1989)

EDDIE BRACKEN (1915 - 2007)

BUSTER CRABBE (1908 - 1983)
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Happy Birthday to Buster Crabbe - and good to see a wonderful smiling picture of him.

I think I have written on here that I now possess my grandmother's Faberge green enamelled crab, named "Buster"....
She jokingly nicknamed it that because the real Buster and her were 'very good friends!!'....
Wink, wink...

Larry
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Somebody ought to do a biopic about Keefe Brasselle, who was to my mind a shining example of what overweening ambition and a neurotic need for attention/approval can do for a performer with no discernable talents at all. Maybe there should be a side story about the standup comic London Lee in the movie as well. Those of us of a certain age will know what I'm talking about. Sorry the rest of you had to miss these two - they were both amazing in their nothingness (except for the chutzpah, of course).
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Van Johnson & Lucille Ball confer at MGM Studios
Last edited by mongoII on February 7th, 2010, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Good ol' Joe Maross!
Was there a harder working character actor on 50's/60's TV?
From "Bonanza" to "Time Tunnel", from "Hawaii Five-O" to "Perry Mason", from "The Loretta Young Hour" to "The Twilight Zone", from "The FBI" to "Wagon Train", his was the resume' to beat, with that quintessentially American mug, collegiate but never Varsity, curious yet care-worn, a proto-suburban carriage & physique, beanpoley but hardly frail, and an ever-tired demeanor always poised halfway between resignation & "Why?"
In short, a Thornton Wilder kinda guy in a post-McCarthy world.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

jdb1 wrote:Somebody ought to do a biopic about Keefe Brasselle, who was to my mind a shining example of what overweening ambition and a neurotic need for attention/approval can do for a performer with no discernable talents at all. Maybe there should be a side story about the standup comic London Lee in the movie as well. Those of us of a certain age will know what I'm talking about. Sorry the rest of you had to miss these two - they were both amazing in their nothingness (except for the chutzpah, of course).
You piqued my curiosity, Judith. And Google brought me to the Barnes and Noble site where I found this:
First seen in the wartime comedy Janie (1944), American actor Keefe Brasselle was never more than a second-string leading man in Hollywood, though he enjoyed moderate success as a nightclub singer. Brasselle's biggest bid for film stardom, the title role of The Eddie Cantor Story (1953), also proved to be his Hollywood Waterloo; as bad as this movie was, the actor's interpretation of Cantor was worse. Nonetheless, Brasselle's career took an upswing when he entered television in the early 1960s. The reason was quite simple: Brasselle was a close friend of CBS programming executive James Aubrey. For whatever reason, Brasselle was catapulted to a production position at CBS, and allowed to develop no fewer than three new, expensive weekly series. In addition, the performer hosted a summer variety series, which most critics found to be a textbook example of mediocrity. The three new CBS series died, and Brasselle's relationship with Aubrey cooled. In 1966, Brasselle would turn on his former mentor, writing an a clef novel about the cutthroat world of network broadcasting, subtly titled The Cannibals. For reasons unknown, one of the principal targets of Brasselle's vitriol was beloved comedian Jack Benny, called Jackie Benson in the novel; perhaps it was because Benny had never publicly acknowledged Brasselle's existence and reportedly thought that Keefe's name was "Keith Brazil." Shortly after making headlines for a deadly-weapon assault in 1971, Keefe Brasselle said adios to the entertainment world by starring in an X-rated musical comedy, If You Don't Stop It, You'll Go Blind (1974); it was, need we say, light years away from The Eddie Cantor Story. Hal Erickson
Expecting a flattering and nebulous biography, this was a surprise! Who knew mediocrity could be so fascinating? Thanks for pointing out "Keith Brazil"!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Klon, I was thinking the same thing. "Joe Maross" - absolutely never rings a bell, but the face was on a kajillion episodes. I've always hoped those guys made enough for their worthy contributions.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Judith, I for one recall comic London Lee. I've seen him often on The Ed Sullivan Show when I was a kid.
And strangely enough I liked Keefe Brasselle (resembled Montgomery Clift). Funny he appeared in "A Place in the Sun" as Clift's cousin and it was noted in the film that they looked alike.
He was also good in two films Ida Lupino directed, "Not Wanted" and "Never Fear".
He paired well with Marjorie Main in "A Letter from a Soldier" an excerpt from the movie "It's a Big Country".
I would like to see "The Eddie Cantor Story" once again.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Johnny Mack Brown kickin' ass
Joseph Goodheart