*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by moira finnie »

Ollie wrote:Another note on Siodmak... his brother, Curt, is featured in the latest release of 1941's THE WOLF MAN, as its director and primary writer. He's given credit for authoring the Wolf Man's legacy. And all pretty much in his childhood backyard!

I hope the two brothers got along. I'm still sniffling over the Fontaine-DeHavilland squabbles. My sister and I get along so well. True, there's my whip, the electrified bars for the Gorgo-like exhibit - but that doesn't mean I don't really love for her. Deep down. (Yeah well, 25-feet down.) And especially at $2.50 a ticket.
Ollie,
There was reportedly some tension between the big time director and "more respectable" Robert Siodmak and his baby brother, Curt, but fortunately for us, Curt seems to have had a sense of humor and he gave a great interview for one of editor and writer Patrick McGilligan's Backstory books collecting interviews with the forgotten writers of some of our favorite movies. You can see an interview with Curt here if you'd like to read more.

Unfortunately, there are fewer instances when the talented Robert gave interviews for posterity, though I love the man's films.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 10th. BIRTHDAYS

ROBERT WAGNER is 80 today

NEVA PATTERSON is 88 today

HAZEL COURT (1926 - 2008)

LON CHANEY JR. (1906 - 1973)

JOHN DIERKES (1905 - 1975)

JUDITH ANDERSON (1897 - 1992)

JIMMY DURANTE (1893 - 1980)

ALAN HALE (1892 - 1950)

ROBERT KEITH (1890 - 1966)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Babes in arms Tab Hunter and Natalie Wood
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Tyrone Power reading some gossip about himself?
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 11th. BIRTHDAYS

BURT REYNOLDS is 74 today

TINA LOUISE is 76 today

CONRAD JANIS is 82 today

LESLIE NIELSEN is 84 today

KIM STANLEY (1925 - 2001)

BILLY HALOP (1920 - 1976)

EVA GABOR (1919 - 1995)

MAX BAER (1909 - 1959)

ANITA GARVIN (1906 - 1994)
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Wow -- Chaney, Jr. looks gorgeous. What a sad case of "never was."

Look at Max Baer -- picture that face less symetrical, more "lived in," craggier, and a bit rougher in complexion and what have you got? Richard Boone.

And I do miss Durante. Did anyone see one of the old Durante shows that PBS ran during a nostalgia fund raiser not too long ago? One of his giggling chorus girls was Mary Tyler Moore!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Is Max Baer related to the guy who played Jed or Jethro in the Beverly Hillbillies? the name seems very fimiliar but that's not the guy I'm remembering. I've read that Jean Harlow made a film with Max Baer called The Prizefighter and the Lady, so I'm guessing that this Max Baer was a prizefighter.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Bottoms Up!
Happy Birthday Burt
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Is Max Baer related to the guy who played Jed or Jethro in the Beverly Hillbillies? the name seems very fimiliar but that's not the guy I'm remembering. I've read that Jean Harlow made a film with Max Baer called The Prizefighter and the Lady, so I'm guessing that this Max Baer was a prizefighter.
Yes, Max Baer, Sr. was a boxer before he got into the movies. The Prizefighter and the Lady stars Myrna Loy with Baer, not Harlow, and it's a surprisingly good film. Baer is very cute in it, and not only acts, but sings and dances, too.

Jethro Clampett was played by Max Baer, Jr. (Jed was Buddy Ebsen.)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

By the way, did Reynolds shave his legs for that photo, or was the offending hair air-brushed out? I don't believe for a minute he's that hairless.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

jdb1 wrote:By the way, did Reynolds shave his legs for that photo, or was the offending hair air-brushed out? I don't believe for a minute he's that hairless.
I think he was wearing 2 pairs of support hose--a trick that Ann Miller used to recommend to anyone in show biz trying trying to show off their gams for the camera. :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

moirafinnie wrote:
jdb1 wrote:By the way, did Reynolds shave his legs for that photo, or was the offending hair air-brushed out? I don't believe for a minute he's that hairless.
I think he was wearing 2 pairs of support hose--a trick that Ann Miller used to recommend to anyone in show biz trying trying to show off their gams for the camera. :wink:
You guys must be looking at a slightly different picture...I see (a lot) of hair on those legs, and no evidence of any kind of support :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
feaito

Post by feaito »

What's wrong with hairy men? What's the issue? :wink: I'm sort of hairy....Thank God my wife likes it. I wouldn't think about waxing myself....it wouldn't be considered manly in Chile......too metrosexual....
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 12th. BIRTHDAYS

JOE DON BAKER is 74 today

ANN GILLIS is 83 today

FORREST TUCKER (1919 - 1986)

LORNE GREENE (1915 - 1987)

HARRY BELLAVER (1905 - 1993)

WALLACE FORD (1898 - 1966)

MAX TERHUNE (1891 - 1973)

LUDWIG STOSSEL (1883 - 1973)
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That is the cutest pic of Wallace Ford....