*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Birdy

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by Birdy »

Why did I pick midnight to catch up on the last five pages of candids?
Burt and BURT....
I'll be awake for days!
B
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 28th. BIRTHDAYS

GAVIN MacLEOD is 80 today

CHARLES DURNING is 87 today

STANLEY BAKER (1928 - 1976)

ZERO MOSTEL (1915 - 1977)

BILLIE BIRD (1908 - 2002)

VINCENTE MINNELLI (1903 - 1986)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

BEFORE & AFTER
RAY MILLAND
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Wow, two handsome, classic Welsh actors on one page!
Croeso y iucheda!
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Gee, I didn't know that Zero Mostel was Welsh! :twisted:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Gregory Peck with 1st. wife Greta and 1st.son Jonathan in 1944
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

MARCH 1st. BIRTHDAYS

RON HOWARD is 56 today

LANA WOOD is 64 today

ROBERT CONRAD is 81 today

HARRY BELAFONTE is 83 today

JOAN HACKETT (1934 - 1983)

RAYMOND ST. JACQUES (1930 - 1990)

CESARE DANOVA (1926 - 1992)

O.Z. WHITEHEAD (1911 - 1998)

DAVID NIVEN (1910 - 1983)

NITA NALDI (1895 - 1961)

LIONEL ATWILL (1885 - 1946)

IDA MOORE (1882 - 1964)
Joseph Goodheart
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Joe

Nita Naldi is attrubuted to be April 1. Probably born in late March, it's very fuzzy with her, no birth record has been found yet. She was a big fibber, too, every chance she got! Not merely with regard to her birthdate/place, either. :D
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Seeing photos of Joan Hackett always makes me sigh. She was a girl crush of my youth -- I thought she was so cool and so pretty (and she was a brunette in a sea of blondes!). I first took real notice of her as the tragic "ruined" girl in The Group. She had a very refined manner, but there was always that layer of strength underneath. She reminded me of a less pretentious Grace Kelly. But unlike Kelly, Hackett was comfortable in comedy, and could get as silly as was necessary. She had a great way of looking at once classy, skeptical and bemused that was certainly atypical of many other actresses of the 60s and 70s.

She never really got the break in films that she deserved -- she was featured in a few movies, but was usually stronger as a supporting player. I loved her in Will Penny and in the Western comedy Support Your Local Sheriff. Her attempts to maintain her ladylike dignity in the raucus, madhouse setting of SYLS were worthy of a Jean Arthur role. She did a lot of TV as well. She left us much too soon.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:Seeing photos of Joan Hackett always makes me sigh. She was a girl crush of my youth -- I thought she was so cool and so pretty (and she was a brunette in a sea of blondes!). I first took real notice of her as the tragic "ruined" girl in The Group. She had a very refined manner, but there was always that layer of strength underneath. She reminded me of a less pretentious Grace Kelly. But unlike Kelly, Hackett was comfortable in comedy, and could get as silly as was necessary. She had a great way of looking at once classy, skeptical and bemused that was certainly atypical of many other actresses of the 60s and 70s.

She never really got the break in films that she deserved -- she was featured in a few movies, but was usually stronger as a supporting player. I loved her in Will Penny and in the Western comedy Support Your Local Sheriff. Her attempts to maintain her ladylike dignity in the raucus, madhouse setting of SYLS were worthy of a Jean Arthur role. She did a lot of TV as well. She left us much too soon.
I had a crush on Joan also ! :D 8)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hackett had acting chops too - I saw her in Mourning Becomes Electra on PBS once and the memory of it has stayed with me all these years.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I also admired Joan Hackett. She was a hoot in "Only When I Laugh" for which she garnered an Oscar nomination.
I also admired her strength and humor as attested to on her gravemarker:

Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

She did some magazine modelling in the 50s & early 60s, and I always picture her in demure little suits, with a tasteful string of pearls, a clutch purse, gloves and a cute little hat. I think she was in a knitting pattern book I had years ago as well.

Then I think of her in Support Your Local Sheriff, up in a tree in overalls, with her wet hair falling down over her face, trying to look as if she meant to be there in that state all along, because the handsome James Garner was looking at her. And Kathleen Freeman laughing uncontrollably.

Yes, a lot more like Jean Arthur than Grace Kelly (even the voice).
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Montgomery Clift chats with author Arthur Miller in his trailer on the set of "The Misfits".
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Judith, did you ever see Treasure of Matecumbe? It was a Disney movie of 1976, starring Robert Foxworth, Peter Ustinov, and Joan Hackett. She was absolutely marvelous, and Foxworth was tres' sexy. This role, and the one in SYLS are my two favorites of hers. Always trying to appear dignified in less than perfect circumstances seemed to be one of the things she did best. She left us too soon.