Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Joseph Calleia & Jackie Cooper clowing around
on the set of "Tough Guy" (1936)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Boy, right back to my earliest memories of TV, I can remember that once upon a time, Marty Ingels was extremely popular on the small screen.
I seem to recall him being on a sit-com about carpenters, but that was back nearly to my footed-pyjama days.
feaito

Post by feaito »

mongoII wrote:Fernando, congratulations. It looks like you chose the correct movie with "A Place in the Sun".
Thanks Joe, but it was indirectly thanks to you because when a while ago you posted a beautiful photograph of Liz and Monty when they were making "A Place in the Sun" I put it on my desktop and looked at it every day when I turned on my Computer at home.;)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh I love Joseph Calleia - you are really hitting all my favorites today.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

klondike wrote:Boy, right back to my earliest memories of TV, I can remember that once upon a time, Marty Ingels was extremely popular on the small screen.
I seem to recall him being on a sit-com about carpenters, but that was back nearly to my footed-pyjama days.
Klonny, who could ever forget one of the more inspired pairings of 50s/60s TV, John Astin and Marty Ingels, in I'm Dickens, He's Fenster? Were they carpenters? I kind of remember at least one of them as a plumber, but maybe they were general contractors, or maybe I'm confusing them with the Monroe Brothers of Green Acres (another inspired pairing, for sure).

I dont' remember too much about the program, but I do remember being thoroughly enchanted by Astin, and I've never lost that little infatuation. And I like the way Ingels talks, that slightly hoarse voice and a sort of modified Arnold Stang delivery.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Re: I'm Dickens, He's Fenster per IMDB:

Sitcom about two young blue-collar carpenters: the married one Harry Dickens, and the bachelor Arch Fenster (with his 'little black book'). Harry longs for the excitement of Fenster's bachelor life - but Harry's wife Kate won't permit it. At work they also find themselves in conflict with their boss Mr. Bannister.

Marty Ingles played Arch Fenster and John Astin played Harry Dickens. Funny, but both actors married singers with popular TV series in their respective resumes.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Charlie & Jude, thank you so much for all the background info!
Although my Dad's profession was road, not architectural, construction, he evidently had worked often enough around builders to find the comedy on the show three times funnier than anyone else in the house ever did.
The one episode I quasi-remember best involved Buddy Hackett guest-starring as a joke-dropping "brush jockey" whose specialty was being able to whip-up batches of polka-dot-colored paint. :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, it's all coming back to me now: Emmaline Henry was the square and boring wife, although I don't think she was supposed to be perceived that way. She was the one who played Mrs. Bellows on I Dream of Jeannie, no?

And Frank De Vol, the composer/musician/character actor (remember TV credits - "Music by De Vol"), was Mr. Bannister. I loved his befuddled, deadpan delivery. He was a lot like Charles Butterworth.

I don't think the show lasted very long, and I'm sure the two leads far surpassed their material.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

One can only imagine what Anna Magnani is doing here.
Perhaps she just go done knocking the crap out of
Roberto Rossellini for dumping her for Ingrid Bergman.
Joseph Goodheart
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Or, Ms. Magnani had just finished stomping grapes with Lucille Ball.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

ChiO, that's funny.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

NAN MARTIN (1927 - 2010) RIP
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

MARCH 10th. BIRTHDAYS

CHUCK NORRIS is 70 today

VENETIA STEVENSON is 72 today

MARION HUTTON (1919 - 1987)

WARNER ANDERSON (1911 - 1976)

RICHARD HAYDN (1905 - 1985)

SAM JAFFE (1891 - 1984)

BARRY FITZGERALD (1888 - 1961)
Joseph Goodheart
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Poor Anna M looks even worse in that shot than the last one shown, which looked like a mug shot.
Oh, well, we can't all be photogenic every minute!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I think Magnani had a real problem with the camera at times, and I don't think she cared particularly. Certainly in most of the American movies she was in, they just didn't seem to know what to do with that face and hair, and they made them look even worse. No matter what the subject matter, she looked like a torture victim.

No matter -- she had enough charisma to carry any movie, but I don't know if I've seen dark circles and eyebags like that anywhere else, except on maybe Walter Matthau.

But look at Sam Jaffe -- that's a great photo of him. Wonder if it's by one of the Hollywood Masters.