Hey Kyle

Discussion of programming on TCM.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Hey Kyle

Post by SSO Admins »

TCM was showing Babes in Arms again this morning.

Ah memories. For those who don't know, the above was the first thing I ever posted at TCM City.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Interesting thread. Lots of intelligent and interesting views. Kyle, you're a fountain of knowlege! 8) Why don't you post more?!
Kyle In Hollywood

Hey, Jon!

Post by Kyle In Hollywood »

Hey Jon -

"Ah, yes. I remember it well."

Lord. That must be about two years ago now. I really liked our "conversation" on the "value" of the "minstrel show" / blackface segment in this movie. Who knew our mutual admiration would be started over a topic such as that.

And I was reminded of our exchange again this week when Wonder Bar showed up on the schedule. Mickey and Judy were tame compared to Jolson's "Heaven On A Mule" number. Yet. as in Babes In Arms, I "appreciate" that Al Jolson number as a demonstration of what was the true essence of Jolson's stage career - albeit, as imagined by Busby Berkeley on an acid trip through Harlem. Simply Amazing!

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Argh. I've been looking for Wonder Bar for a couple of years now, and messed up my DVR timer and didn't record it. If nothing else, I need everything Kay Francis was in.
Kyle In Hollywood

Jon -
Funnily, Wonder Bar is one of those films that IS "relegated to the wee hours" on TCM. I know when I recorded it a few years ago it was during a late night presentation on TCM - like the one this past week. Hopefully it won't be another two or three years before it appears on the schedule again.

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
Kyle In Hollywood

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Interesting thread. Lots of intelligent and interesting views. Kyle, you're a fountain of knowlege! 8) Why don't you post more?!
Arkadin -
Thanks for the compliment.
As to my sporadic posting behavior, I think that thread is a good example demonstrating why. I remember laboring on that response to JonParker for over an hour making sure to get it just right. The time it takes me to compose a "thoughtfull response" is too often a challenge that exceeds the necessity of making the point in the first place.

But I think the above thread is a wonderful example of the "Golden Age" of the TCM Message Boards. Compare the Babes In Arms thread with the discussions of this month's "Screened Out" series to see how far the TCM Forums have fallen. But I've noticed TCM making a concerted effort lately to ensure the Boards there are a pleasant and civil place for discussion. I hold out hope that "the resurrection" is still to come.

As to being a "fountain of knowledge", I think of myself more as a leaky faucet.
Drip. Drip. Drip...
I know very little compare to many others in these Forums. I am far from the deepest pool of knowledge about Classic Films. But once in a while I will be motivated to add my unique little drop to the conversation. But, usually the conversation has enough water to continue "swimmingly" on its own.

How's that for a bunch of bad metaphors?

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood