What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by movieman1957 »

I recently bought the remastered "In Search of The Lost Chord" from The Moody Blues. My goodness, what a difference in sound. Having had the initial CD release there is no comparison. The CD always sounded a bit muddy to me. With studio advances even in 1966 (see Sgt. Pepper) "ISOTLC" didn't sound near as clean as The Beatles album.

Well, having looked for years for a copy of Mike Pinder's song "A Simple Game" I was surprised to find two versions on this album. With the bonus cuts doubling the length of the album and a pretty good price at itunes I splurged. What a great sound. Everything is clearer and more distinct and given a whole new perspective on the sound of the album.

For Father's Day I am looking to replace some of the other Moody Blues recordings along with my Beatles restocking. If you are a fan then you should consider upgrading.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

movieman1957 wrote:I recently bought the remastered "In Search of The Lost Chord" from The Moody Blues. My goodness, what a difference in sound.
That's good to hear. It's been a long tome since I pulled this out because, as you said, it sounded muddy, with little separation. I'll need to check out the remastered edition.

A few things I've been listening to:

The Who--A Quick One (mono mix)--Like The Beatles' mono albums, this is considerably better than the stereo, but still not one of my favorites

The Monkees--Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. (mono)--Probably my favorite Monkees album. Particularly like What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round and, of course, Pleasant Valley Sunday.

Neil Young--On the Beach--I forgot how much I like this album.

The Stooges--Raw Power--Been listening to the Bowie mix, and I like it better than than Iggy's mix. Whadyagonnado… Both mixes (redundantly) rock.

Helen Kane--The Boop-Boop-A-Doop Girl--I'm listening to this a few songs at a time. While I love Kane's voice, a little goes a long way. Highlights, though, certainly must include: I've' Got "It"--But It Don't Do Me No Good and Dangerous Nan McGrew (not to mention I Wanna Be Loved By You, of course)

For the last week, however, it's been Exile on Main Street--a-go-go. Can't get enough of the new remastered disc. Sounds terrific; still "dirty" and "murky" and it really is an album that has to be listened to in its entirety to appreciate fully. I think this is the first Stones reissue that has bonus cuts, and they are a lot of fun, although it is obvious that they have been tweaked some (recently added vocals at the very least.)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You still amaze me with the breadth of music you listen to.

Oddly enough, or not, I have "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, LTD." (What a terrific title) I got it back when it was first released. In addition to "Pleasant Valley Sunday" I am partial to the Nesmith tunes "The Door Into Summer" and "Don't Call On Me."
Chris

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

movieman1957 wrote:Oddly enough, or not, I have "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, LTD."
I think this was the first non-Beatle related album I got. My brother couldn't care less about music, but both he and I loved and memorized Tork's "Peter Percival Patterson's Pet Pig Porky" and recited it so much my mother had to make a "no poetry at the dinner table" rule. We'd both crack up on the "minced tarts" line.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My brother and I did the same thing with "Percival." The idea was to see who could pop their "P"s the best. I was 10 and he was 8 and we had a limited budget so we bought Beatles and Monkees records because that was who we liked and that was all we could afford. After a couple of years we got more money and bought 45s and other things.

Can you do all four parts of "Zilch"?
Chris

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

My current favorite listening is the tenor Juan Diego Florez. I even bought a ticket to the Met last February so I could finally see him perform in person.

When not listening to Florez, it's usually the Sirius Metropolitan Opera channel, or Sinatra or a musical (either movie or stage).
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I've been listening to many different genres of music at a free jukebox site at http://www.tropicalglen.com. It offers several years from 1950 to 1989 with top 40 tunes in either 5 year chunks or individual years. It also offers different categories such as classical, swing, country, show tunes, movie and tv themes and many more. I like to let it play in the background while I'm at work. I've heard many songs that I haven't heard for years.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I got the remastered Moody Blues "To Our Children's Children's Children." Once again the remastering is a huge improvement, at least to my ear, over the 1997 CD. Clearer, more detailed and surprising then before it is another real treat. Be careful as if you are not paying complete attention the initial "explosion" may make your heart skip a beat.

"Out and In" and "Sun Is Still Shining" and "Watching and Waiting" are favorites.
Chris

klondike

Post by klondike »

This week I'm hammaocked between the ripe & shifting chords of Van Morrison's "Magic Time", and James Taylor's "New Moon Shine"; the two big numbers from them, respectively, are Celtic New Year, and Copperline, but really, there's not a non-keeper on either album.
When you haven't spent enough time w/ old friends, my, how their faces shine. :D
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Been teaching myself the vuvuzela by playing along with songs including:

Steely Dan's--Aja
Springsteen's--Born to Run
Floyd's--Us and Them
Madness--One Step Beyond
The Champs--Tequilla (For beginners, this is the most fun and easily played, especially if practiced over-and-over again.)

I'm also groovin' the vuv along with Bach's Oboe Concertos (the BWV 1056 rocks!)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

MichiganJ wrote:Been teaching myself the vuvuzela by playing along with songs including -

I'm also groovin' the vuv along with Bach's Oboe Concertos (the BWV 1056 rocks!)
Cool. I bet you have a long lasting ring around your lips then.

I bet the "vuv" sounds close to the opening bassoon part in Tchaikovsky's 6th.
Chris

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

You need to pick up the ol' vuv and try and play along with the White Album, especially Dear Prudence. In fact, it works well with the entire album except for, oddly, Revolution #9. Can't understand why…

I'm going to take it with me to the Clapton concert on Friday night. He's playing with Roger Daltry. Maybe they'll invite me on stage!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Go for it.
Chris

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Looks like the Lennon catalog is once again being remastered (the last go round was between '02 and '05) and Yoko has also re-mixed a stripped down version of Double Fantasy.

Seriously, how often can we go to this well?
http://beatles.com/#/news/John_Lennon_Gimme_Some_Truth/
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If the remasters are being remastered what else can they do to them? I was still listening to my vinyl "Imagine." Have been looking at upgrading that one and "Walls and Bridges" but I guess I'll just wait.
Chris