TCM -- Anti-copying Code?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
pvitari

TCM -- Anti-copying Code?

Post by pvitari »

Is there anyone else here with Direct TV? If you have Direct TV, have you had any problems making DVDs of movies broadcast on TCM?

My ancient Sony DVD/VHS combo recorder is creaking along and I'd like to replace it. I tried to replace a few years ago with a newer model Sony but found it had anti-copying software that prevented me from making DVDs of broadcasts on TCM and other Turner/Warner channels (and some others). Either it wouldn't record onto the DVD at all or I got a distorted picture.

I could make VHS tapes because they're analog, not digital, but frankly... VHS is so... not now. :)

I'd really like to get a new recorder but if I can't record off TCM with Direct TV... what's the point?

Advice would be most welcome.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: TCM -- Anti-copying Code?

Post by Lzcutter »

We've had DirecTV for years and I've not encountered a problem with making DVD copies of anything recorded from TCM to our Tivo box to our DVD recorder.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

LZ -- what brand DVD recorder do you have?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Paula,

We have a Sony.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I wish I could make copies with my DVR. By the time I read the instructions and get up and go to the machine, put the DVD in the proper place, I forget what all the rest of the stuff I read was. I have the machine that I could copy from tape to DVD, but again, can't figure it out. My problem is I can't stand at the TV and machine long enough to do things step by step before my back starts screaming at me and I have to go sit down. Every time the kids come over, we're on our way somewhere, or just home with groceries to put away, and they have to get home to put theirs away. Oh me, Oh my, what to do, what to do?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Hmmm, it was a newer model Sony that wouldn't let me make the copies.

How old is your Sony.

MRSL -- when it comes to hooking up home theater stuff, I hire a guy to do it. ;) Otherwise I'd be reading books all night long rather than watching TV and movies. (I still read books actually.) :)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Paula,

We have had our Sony DVD recorder for at least six years. I can find out the model number if it's important.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

markfp

Post by markfp »

While there is certainly the technology available, no cable network, including TCM, does anything to its signal to prevent recording. I've made thousands of recordings mostly from TCM and have never once had a problem recording from any channel. If TCM, for example, prevented copying it would affect everybody and there would be many thousands of complaints on their forums and that doesn't happen.

The problems is the recorder. All recorders contain an anti-copy device which is designed to prevent the copying of copyrighted DVDs such as movies. However a few brands tend to have problems allowing certain cable channels to be recorded too. SONY is one of the more notorious. This seems to be a fairly new problem in the last 2-3 years and I'm not sure if it's just certain models or all of them. Older machines seem to record fine.

Myself, I only use PANASONIC and TOSHIBA recorders, and there has never been a movie I couldn't record. I've also used MAGNAVOX and that recorded fine too. Having said that, when buying any brand of recorder it would be wise to set it up as soon as possible and make test recordings from your cable or satellite service. If you have an issue recording, pack it up and return it. It's not suppose to do that.

MRSL: It's not that hard, all you need is a good teacher. I wish you lived near me, I'd have you doing it without looking at the book in ten minutes. Don't believe me? Just ask my wife, I taught her. :D
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Thanks everyone.

It's a relief to know that TCM isn't trying to keep me from recording movies onto DVD-R. (Hey, TCM, if you're reading this, I've even bought Archive DVD-Rs of movies I've recorded off TCM.. and I'd buy more if you dropped the regular price instead of making me wait for sales!)

I've never tried to record a copyrighted movie from a DVD -- it was only cable channels I had problems with.

I've heard good things about Panasonic recorders so I think I'll try to find a Panasonic model to replace my old Sony.
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

My experience is similar to that of markfp, never a problem recording TCM. Since September 2005 I've recorded around 6,000 DVDs, most of them TCM programming recorded with my many Panasonic, Magnavox and Philips recorders.

Beginning in December 2009 I transitioned from TCM SD to TCM HD. Currently, I have seven recorders set up to record from TCM HD through a Comcast Motorola DCX3200 HD converter connected to four Panasonic DVD recorders, two Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders and one Philips HDD/DVD recorder. I have another Philips HDD/DVD recorder that may record TCM SD through a Comcast Motorola DCT700 SD converter when the Philips is not scheduled to record from Encore Westerns or local broadcast sub-channels received through an antenna.

If you visit the AVS Forum you will find that Sony DVD recorder owners regularly report severe difficulties with "copy protection" (even after it is determined that no copy protection is present).

Owners of other DVD recorder brands seldom have copy protection issues unless HDMI connectivity has been activated or is in use in their system.

HDMI activation and/or connectivity triggers "handshake" issues that have much to do with the implementation of "copy protection" even when DVD recorders themselves are not connected to a TV through a HDMI connection. In other words, if HDMI has been activated in a system, whether or not it is in current use, there may be "copy protection" issues with devices that record to removable media (DVDs). The common wisdom at AVS is to use component (blue, green, red video plus white/red audio), composite (yellow video plus white/red audio), S-Video (plus white/red audio) or RF (coaxial cable with threaded connector) for system connectivity.

One way to skirt some "copy protection" issues is to use a HDD/DVD recorder, record to the hard drive, edit the recording (if you wish) then high-speed dub the recording(s) to DVD(s). The outstanding recent and current HDD/DVD recorders are the Magnavox 2160 and 513 models. New 513 models are currently priced around $227 through walmart.com and like-new refurbished 2160 models are priced about $160 through jr.com, the online sales division of a New York City camera dealer. (I own four of the outstanding Magnavox 2160 models, one purchased new through walmart.com and three purchased refurbished through jr.com.)

A number of relevant discussions may be found in this AVS sub-forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106
Last edited by TalkieTime on September 25th, 2010, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance." --Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
markfp

Post by markfp »

TalkieTime, glad to hear the good word about the Philips recorders. I've been wondering about them. I have two Philips multi-region players which I bought so I could get region 2 DVDs from the UK and I've discovered how forgiving they seem to be. I get movies almost weekly from my local public library and, as you might expect, many are scratched and otherwise beat up. Most of the time if they freeze up on my other players, they'll play just fine on the Philips.

It's interesting to note that Philips no longer manufactures their own DVD recorders and players. They've made a deal with the Japanese electronics firm Funai to do that. Funai makes electronics under a number of brands including Magnavox, Sylvania, Emerson and GE. Since these brands seem to have no problems with copy protection, hopefully future Philips models won't either.
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

pvitari,

Recording from DirectTV is the subject of this recent thread at the AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252483

My contribution to AVS Forum discussions have the "DigaDo" identity. When I became an AVS member I chose that identity because Panasonic DVD recorders have the "Diga" logo, and, as a Panasonic "power user" I found Panasonic ES series recorders "do" what's expected of them and they "do" it very well, hence my "DigaDo" identity.

Many of the pre-2007 Panasonic ES and EH series recorders were outstanding products. Currently five of my ES series recorders are in daily use. Three of my six 2006 DMR-ES35V models have each accumulated more than 3,000 recording hours, one of my four 2006 DMR-ES15 models has accumulated more than 3,000 recording hours, one of my two 2005 DMR-ES30V has accumulated more than 3,000 recording hours and the other has accumulated more than 4,500 recording hours. All but the last one of these was fully functional at last use. A problematic ES series recorder is often easy enough to diagnose and repair/rebuild with my own in hand resources. These ES series Panasonics are the real "workhorses." Panasonic's EH (hard drive) models may be kept in service if they become problematic with a $130 flat-rate repair through Panasonic's Service Center in Elgin Illinois, see the AVS Forum for details.

Panasonic's 2007 and newer EZ series recorders have design flaws, bugs and functionality/reliability problems. I purchased five of these EZ series recorders. One 2008/2009 DMR-EZ28 and one 2007 DMR-EZ17 remain in daily service, another is set aside as a standby recorder, and two others have been junked following early laser assembly failure (with only 1,500 to 1,700 recording hours). While my DMR-EZ28 is a decent enough DVD recorder I discourage purchasing other EZ series models, especially the dreadful VHS/DVD combo recorders. Be sure to read the horror stories posted at AVS by Panasonic EZ series owners. Apart from swapping parts between compatible EZ series models, it's my opinion that EZ series recorders are not worth repairing.

What do I use to replace junked Panasonic EZ series recorders? I set up my older, standby ES series workhorses, some that have already seen very heavy use, or I swap in a Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder. Come to think of it, at the moment I'm down to only one like-new Magnavox 2160 as a spare recorder. Perhaps it's time to purchase another one or two of these outstanding 2160 HDD/DVD recorders.

When I give advice as to what recorder to purchase I do not hesitate to suggest "it's not a question of whether or not to purchase a Magnavox 2160 HDD/DVD recorder--the question is, HOW MANY?"

The first post in Wajo's AVS Forum sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st12244086
Last edited by TalkieTime on June 8th, 2010, 12:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance." --Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

markfp,

Philips branded DVD recorders and HDD/DVD recorders (manufactured under license by Funai) exited the US market in 2008.

My two Philips HDD/DVD recorders are the 3575 (from 2007) and the 3576 (from 2008), both manufactured by Funai. My 3576 is currently my most heavily used HDD/DVD recorder.

The Philips design was largely carried over to the Funai-manufactured Magnavox 2080 (from 2007), currently my second most heavily used HDD/DVD recorder. The last "Philips" design was the Magnavox 2160 that was produced (by Funai) during 2008 as a 2009 model (with a PATA hard drive) and the 2160 "A" version produced (by Funai) in 2009 (with a SATA hard drive). I have three of the 2160 models of 2008 manufacture and one of the 2160 "A" models of 2009 manufacture.

The current HDD/DVD model is the newly introduced Magnavox 513 offered through walmart.com and a few other sellers:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st12244086
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

[quote]One way to skirt some "copy protection" issues is to use a HDD/DVD recorder, record to the hard drive, edit the recording (if you wish) then high-speed dub the recording(s) to DVD(s). The outstanding current HDD/DVD recorders are the Magnavox 2160 and 513 models. The 2160 is priced about $200 and the 513 is priced around $300 through walmart.com and like-new refurbished 2160 models are priced about $160 through jr.com, the online sales division of a New York City camera dealer. (I own four of the outstanding Magnavox 2160 models, one purchased new through walmart.com and three purchased refurbished through jr.com.)

I don't get TCM SD. Also, editing on the computer is way way WAY beyond my limited computer abilities. All I want to do is record movies onto DVD from TCM with a clear signal, which is what my current (and other perfect) old Sony DVD/VHS combo machine won't do anymore. I'd like to have a DVD/VHS model if possible as I still have a lot of old VHS tapes I'd like to convert over to DVD but it sounds like these combo players are also problematic.

What is "HDD"?

Very interesting info about the various DVD recorders. Sounds like Panasonic broke something that didn't need fixing! What else is new.