Say Yes to the Dress

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ken123

Say Yes to the Dress

Post by ken123 »

About a year ago I came across this TLC program about brides picking out the wedding gown and all the hullaboo surounding it. For some reason I like it, even though I watch it only about half the time. Comments - opinions ? 8)
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Say Yes to the Dress

Post by movieman1957 »

I have seen a few minutes of it when I have been stuck in the room. It is enough that I have encouraged my 19 year old daughter that when that day comes eloping is an option.

(Not that we are that way but think of the hassle and money we'll save.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Only confirms my lifelong conviction that big weddings (such as the kind planned for on this program) are a pretentious waste of money. I've been to enough modest weddings to see that everyone, including the bride and groom, can have just as good a time, and good memories, for one tenth the expenditure. And shows like this also perpetuate the dangerous theory that the wedding is more important than the marriage. How many more skanky, spoiled, self-absorbed, greedy, self-deluded and barely literate women do we have to have forced on us by television? Bah.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:Only confirms my lifelong conviction that big weddings (such as the kind planned for on this program) are a pretentious waste of money. I've been to enough modest weddings to see that everyone, including the bride and groom, can have just as good a time, and good memories, for one tenth the expenditure. And shows like this also perpetuate the dangerous theory that the wedding is more important than the marriage. How many more skanky, spoiled, self-absorbed, greedy, self-deluded and barely literate women do we have to have forced on us by television? Bah.

Judith,
Please tell us how you really think. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hmmm. Now why is everyone always saying that to me? :?

Hey, someone's got to say it. Otherwise, they'll keep making those dumb shows.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:Hmmm. Now why is everyone always saying that to me? :?

Hey, someone's got to say it. Otherwise, they'll keep making those dumb shows.
lol !!!!!
Judith,
You bad, but in a very refreshing way. 8)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Doesn't anyone have any family feelings anymore? The first thing both my girls did when they got engaged was look at my wedding dress, but it was just not right for either of them. My older girl went to a second hand store and found a gown, took it to the cleaners and for a cost of $16.99 it came back looking like a dream. Everybody wanted to know where she got it. My younger daughter was too tall and skinny for mine, but my Mom's fit her to a "T". There was no thought whatsoever about buying until after all family offers were considered. By that I mean, in-laws gowns, close aunts etc.

The ones who are paying for their own weddings are fine, but those whose parents are footing the bill make me sick. I rarely watch the show, but now and then I'll kill a half hour until a different movie comes on. And I won't even start on the Bridezillas :!: :cry: :twisted: :evil:
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Well, Anne, I just don't see it that way. I think a marriage ceremony is a personal affair between the two principals, and I don't think what I wear should be anyone else's business, either. I'm far happier with the idea of a quiet personal ceremony. To me, that's romantic. A hundred people watching and judging me and my husband, and then stuffing themselves with my food and getting drunk holds no romance for me. If I'm old enough to be married, I'm old enough to do it without family interference. If I want to celebrate, I'll have a party sometime later, when my husband and I have settled into our new roles.

The thing is, the whole wedding scenario is a holdover from a time when children, especially the female children, were considered property to be handed over, and the scope of the ceremony was intended to make the neighbors envious. The notion that this is romantic was tacked on later to make it all seem legitimate.

I am not in any was disparaging marriage, or even weddings. What I object to is the mindless rush to do what everyone else did because you think may be in some way invalidated if you don't. That is the feeling I get from these silly TV shows -- the young women are virtually hysterical with the fear that they might not look as good, or spend as much money, as someone else. Why? Why do they all seem to care so much more about the dress they will wear than about the man they will marry? Weddings are a custom, not an obligation, and there isn't a white dress in the world that is worth the huge amounts of money these silly women spend. How many times are you ever going to wear that dress? There are a lot more meaningful things you can pass on to your children, and how do you know they're going to want it, anyway? Buy off the rack, for pete's sake, and save your money to put a down payment on a house. Then you can have a nice place of your own to be romantic in, and it's not likely your husband's going to want you to wear that dress when you're in that mode.