*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mrsl »

Tira misu anyone? That's better than cheesecake. I wonder who took the pic? friend or foe? Bogey looks so relaxed!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Henry Fonda, Charles Boyer, Rita Hayworth, Charles Laughton and
Edward G. Robinson in connection with "Tales of Manhattan"
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Look at Charles Boyer's cigarette, I hope no ash or butts are going to fall on Rita's lovely dress. Re Charles Boyer, it's refreshing to see a leading man out without his toupe and apart from Bogie who used to appear in public without his toupee the others I know who were said to wear toupees must have done so at any public event. Is this because they were always attended by a wig man or did Hollywood make toupees that could be applied easily by the wearer?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know about the business of sending stars out with toupees, but in every candid I have ever seen of Boyer (and I have looked at a lot of them, since he is a favorite of mine) he looks so dapper and well dressed, albeit toupee-less. Just as Bogie is always seen with a neatly pressed, expensively tailored button down shirt, Boyer, even in beach whites always looks immaculate. Check out this candid, in which Boyer is even dressed down a little - can you imagine two men dressed this way today, for a simple day out?

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JULY 13th. BIRTHDAYS

HARRISON FORD is 68 today

ROBERT FORSTER is 69 today

LESLIE BROOKS is 88 today

BOB CRANE (1928 - 1978)

SIDNEY BLACKMER (1895 - 1973)
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

We've got out of the art of dressing up, I've just come back from a funeral, I got to wear a lovely black dress that only does come out for funerals, ditto another dress that I wear to weddings and christenings. I try to wear dresses or skirts on Sunday for church. Even though I love being dressed up it seems incongruous to life these days. I chose to walk most places so flats are in order and they don't look right with skirts, not too bad in summer but impossible to carry off in colder weather. So I'm a casual girl on my none working days and I lament when I see the picture you left.

Seeing pictures like the one above the men dressed with such charm and elan (well perhaps not everyone but most) Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, Clark Gable etc. Boyer always looks smart and I don't care whether he has a toupee or not. I watched him recently in Mayerling as Crown Prince Rudolf, I've always preferred him in his romantic roles. I don't mind which language he's speaking, I'm a sucker for his voice.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't care whether he has a toupee or not. I watched him recently in Mayerling as Crown Prince Rudolf, I always prefer him in his romantic roles. I don't mind which language he's speaking, I could listen to him for ages.
You and me both! He's a dream. I laugh at that photo, because both Colman and Boyer were considered to be "sticks in the mud" by their friends and spouses - preferring home life and quiet reading or intellectual pursuits to the Hollywood lifestyle and parties - oh to be stuck at home with either one of them!
Last edited by JackFavell on July 13th, 2010, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

JackFavell wrote:
I don't care whether he has a toupee or not. I watched him recently in Mayerling as Crown Prince Rudolf, I always prefer him in his romantic roles. I don't mind which language he's speaking, I could listen to him for ages.
You and me both! He's a dream. I laugh at that photo, because both Colman and Boyer were considered to be "sticks on the mud" by their friends and spouses - preferring home life and quiet reading or intellectual pursuits to the Hollywood lifestyle and parties - oh to be stuck at home with either one of them!
"Would you still love me if I were not the king?" Ack! thump thump thump for Ronnie Colman.

Of course, in todays world, Alan Rickman could read the yellow pages and I would be a puddle on the floor. That man makes me swoon.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Hope Lange and husband Don Murray confirming the bills are A O-K
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

I can't say Alan Rickman does it for me. Charles Boyer and Maurice Chevalier are the tops accent wise. I obviously should have married a French man but didn't. If stick in the muds come like Ronald Colman and Charles Boyer I want one of those too, both have nice voices.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Tab Hunter has eyes for Debbie Reynolds. Nahhhh.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Quintessential movie star Bette Davis in 1988, a year before her passing
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

You've done it again, Joe. I had no idea Hope Lang and Don Murray were ever married! Have I mentioned lately that I love this thread?

always the last to know,
Moraldo
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you, MR. The couple were married for 5 years (1956 - 1961) and had 2 children.
Joseph Goodheart