Is it Irene Dunne with or without an E

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Is it Irene Dunne with or without an E

Post by stuart.uk »

For many yrs now I've thought of Irene Dunne as Iren with a silent E at the end of her Christian name. However, it occurred to me that the correct way to speak her name might be as Irene, using the E at the end.

It maybe a British thing, because Irene with a silent E at the end is quite common over here. So can anyone tell me which is right
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Is it Irene Dunne with or without an E

Post by moira finnie »

I believe that the letter "e" at the end of both Irene and Dunne are usually silent in the American pronunciation, Stuart. Most Americans are taken aback by the British way of saying Irene as "Irenee" which I think I first heard when enjoying The Forsythe Saga years ago.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Thanks Moria

I don't know if you've heard of Irene Handle, who played Peter Seller's wife in I'm Alright Jack and Bernard Cribbon's mum in Two Way Stretch. She became a star in old age in the sit com and Feature film For The Love Of Ada with Wilfred Pickles. She also did a sit com Maggie And Her with a youngish Maggie Smith. Well her Irene was Ireneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Here's a link

Last edited by stuart.uk on November 15th, 2010, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

stuart.uk wrote:I don't know if you've heard of Irene Handle, who played Peter Seller's mum in I'm Alright Jack ...Well her Irene was Ireneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't know her by name, but since I'm Alright, Jack has always struck me as hilarious, I know the face of that Ireneeeeee. :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

moirafinnie wrote:
stuart.uk wrote:I don't know if you've heard of Irene Handle, who played Peter Seller's mum in I'm Alright Jack ...Well her Irene was Ireneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't know her by name, but since I'm Alright, Jack has always struck me as hilarious, I know the face of that Ireneeeeee. :wink:
Irene
In Australia The E would be silent. Americans do tend to spell things differently sometimes. Note Irene with 6 E`s in America and 17 British E`s.

Dunne
The E would always be silent. To pronounce it other wise would be to give it meaning.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I was surprised when I found out that stage and film actress Irene Worth was pronounced as Ireneee.
Joseph Goodheart