Ralph Richardson, film actor

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Ralph Richardson, film actor

Post by JackFavell »

Ah, the one with Dr. Sloper is a heartbreaker.... I've already imagined that one.

Too much information. I know.

I'd love to see Helen Walker take Morris for everything he's got.... :)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dr. Sloper confesses to sister Elizabeth: "You thought I LOVED my wife? You thought that? I DESPISED her! Our marriage was a sham!
She had everything a man could want: beauty, brains, and breeding.
She told me, "I'll take care of your home, Austin, and entertain those dreary medical colleagues. But every other month I must go off into the country and dress up like Stan Laurel. and there's not a blessed thing you can do about it'. She told me other things, Elizabeth, things I'll never tell another living soul. But I'll tell you. She kept a hatbox underneath her bed that contained the head of Alfredo Garcia.
And other things, like bloodstained pillowslips. We never had those colored lights going, because she was incapable of love or passion, except for the night I caught her with a photograph of George O;Brien.
She was doing unspeakable things with it. Only I know what I lost when I choked the life out of her, and what I got in her place -- a lump of a daughter who couldn't fight her way out of a paper bag.
Yes, I've ideaized my "dear" wife out of all proportion, only because I couldn't let anyone know the shame that was our marriage. So I took a mistress, Shirley Booth. She wasn't the most good-looking creature, in fact, she was rather plump and somewhat homely, but, she treated me like a king, calling me "Dr. Austin, honey", and she knew how to push my love buttons, believe me. We'd rendevous in Paris, and linger for hours at a favorite cafe, then go to our hotel and she'd read me passages from the Marquis de Sade. You see, we had our little quirks, too. There's something else, Elizabeth -- before I met Shirley, I turned to Maria, my housemaid, for the affection I was so starved for. She became pregnant, and, without my knowing, sent the baby away to a workhouse. Only later did I find out that it was a boy who they named Oliver Twist."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
and a merry christmas to you, bronxie.....
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"Yes, I've ideaized my "dear" wife out of all proportion, only because I couldn't let anyone know the shame that was our marriage. So I took a mistress, Shirley Booth."

Jesus Christ!!!! Jesus, Bronxgirl!! I was in tears at your post Bronxie. You know you are about to risk ex-communication from Classic Cinema for that whole post of yours. The enormity of the hilarity was hilarious (for me). Your sense of humor MUST be bottled. In fact, you really must stop drinking when you write.

Naaaah, whatever you do, don't stop. Maybe classic film fans take themselves too seriously in the first place.

Well...Christmas is calling me. Some little kids are about to bust in on the quiet here at my sister's house. (Her grandchildren). I must be the grown-up my parents were when I was little. And that will take some acting indeed! Happy Holidays to you and your mother.

And HAPPY HOLIDAY to all of you here at the Oasis. The name is so apropos for this website. Oasis indeed.

NEXT UP: COUSIN/COUSINE: "MY COUSIN RACHEL" Or as it known in better circles: "GET ME TO A BROTHEL...QUICK!!!"
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh! Bronxie, I thought the first sentence was funny, but you take it to a whole new level after that! :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D

"Dr. Austin, honey" had me rolling! Come Back, Little Heiress is going to be the next big musical on Broadway. Music by Stephen Sondheim.

Have a Merry Christmas, and here's what I wish you for the holidays:

[youtube][/youtube]

(Yes, and that's a shameless plug for The Matchmaker. It's a great movie. With Shirley Booth.)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh, Wendy, thank you for Tony in THE MATCHMAKER. Beautiful, mon amie, and very moving. It meant a lot. I send all good things to you for the New Year, and beyond.

knitwit, have a Sim-ply wonderful holiday season, and I wish you the best in the coming New Year!

Maven, what can I tell you, lol? Am I doomed, in your mind's eye, to wander the earth as The Flying Bronxgirl, never to reach the shores of proper classic movie reverence? Tell me it ain't so. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"Maven, what can I tell you, lol? Am I doomed, in your mind's eye, to wander the earth as The Flying Bronxgirl, never to reach the shores of proper classic movie reverence? Tell me it ain't so. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year."

Wellllllllllllllllll...you won't be doomed to walk the earth like Caine, but...you might wind up with someone comparable to James Mason. Have a great Christmas.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

TCM is showing The Wrong Box (1966) at the ungodly hour of 5:30 AM tonight (or tomorrow morning).

Two elderly brothers plot to kill each other for a fortune. Cast: Ralph Richardson, John Mills, Michael Caine. Dir: Bryan Forbes. C-106 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

otterhere

Post by otterhere »

Was Morris a fortune-hunter or wasn't he? I don't think that question was ever resolved! It's up to us to decide. The key to the whole thing is in the aunt's (?) evaluation: even if he is, he might take very good care of her AND her money. And Catherine's summation: why shouldn't she be happy for another 20 years believing she's loved when she's not, just as she was with her father? As for the father, he was using his head and not his heart; his head was dead-on correct... But there's more to life than that. Now, my question: what's the name of the dance in which the characters first flirt?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

In some ways, it almost doesn't matter whether Morris is or isn't a fortune hunter - the tragedy could play out either way, and is just as horrific, either way.

Is the dance in the movie a gavotte? I'm just guessing. In the book, it was a polka (I had to compare), but I think they chose a more delicate and sedate dance for the movie to show Catharine's inexperience and clumsiness on a smaller, more contained scale. Plus the music goes well with her klutzy demeanor, and suits Morris' patient teaching style.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

David Morrissey is reprising Ralph Richardson's role in a new tv version of South Riding. Penelope ''Cry Freedom'' Wilton will play an older woman in love with him
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's interesting, Stuart... I really loved the 1938 South Riding. I am wondering about the "older woman in love with him part, because I don't remember it from the earlier movie - there is an older woman who is a concerned friend, but I didn't get any hint of love interest there. She was played by Marie Lohr, which seems to preclude any hint of sexual attraction, I would think. Maybe it's in the book, and they felt it would complicate the 1938 movie too much or maybe it is a new twist added for modern audiences?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Your Christmas days can't be like mine, how did you get chance to peel yourself away from the festivites to post on the thread.

I've just finished reading Celia Johnson by her daughter Kate Fleming. Ralph and Celia worked together quite often. You might enjoy the book, it's full of Celia's letters to her husband Peter Fleming and she comes through so wonderfully from her daughter's pen. Ralph is mentioned quite often, especially later on. I never knew he rode a Harley Davison well into his eighties, what a guy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, Ralph rode his motorcycles right through his late years - apparently taking his pet parrot or his pet ferret with him on some trips!

He absolutely adored Celia Johnson..... they had good chemistry onstage, and a great working relationship. I think she was the younger generation coming up at the Old Vic, through the time when he was one of the directors. Her last play that she was planning was supposed to be with him, he was very upset when she died quite suddenly - I think it was before the show opened, though I'm pretty sure they replaced her with Joan Greenwood, his heart was not in the project anymore and it did not not have a long run.

I think I will read that book, she is a favorite of mine and her personality from what you have posted was just wonderful - very much to my liking.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

She did die suddenly whilst in rehearsal for a play with Sir Ralph and his heart did go out of the play once she'd died. You would like Celia's book, I just wished she'd made more films, especially with Sir Ralph.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin