WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

knitwit45

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, I think I've said this before (ad nauseum :oops: :oops: ) BUT...The Silk Stockings ballet never fails to move me to tears. Just love that movie! And Funny Face's ending dance number does the same thing. What a sucker for romance.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Both favorites of mine...flawless scores by Gershwin & Porter and wonderful numbers...Cyd dancing the "Red Blues", "Silk Stockings" and "All of You" & Fred's "Rock 'n' roll" Superb!!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I just love the song All Of You, it's so romantic. I think on balance I prefer Silk Stockings to Funny Face but only just, I also adore the song Funny Face. I think Fred Astaire has a perfect way of putting the songs of Porter and Gershwin across.

I watched Silk Stockings and then followed it with Ninotchka last night, perhaps I should have viewed them the other way around but I was sure I would prefer Lubitsch and Garbo to Fred and Cyd but quite the opposite, I expected Ninotchka to be my favorite Garbo talkie but I think Conquest, Camille and Queen Christina are better. It's not to be taken as a criticism of Garbo but a realisation, once again of how great Fred and Cyd are together. The ballet of Ninotchka with Cyd dancing with her clothes is excellent.

Nancy, I love all the dances in Silk Stockings, it makes the film far more romantic than Ninotchka.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

BRIGADOON
Nice this morning to wake up to Brigadoon. From 'Go Home with Bonnie Jean' to the end, I'm hooked, no matter where I happen to come in. I can even nearly like Gene Kelly, if he would only let that guy Cyd show off a little too. And klunky as he is, I think Van Johnson holds his own in this one, with Mr.' I'll show you how.' My only other problem is that I always wish the song Brigadoon was sung more often, and the marriage procession where each tribe gathered together in the circle was longer, I love that sound of the bagpipes.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

A couple of Judy Garland films. Easter Parade and Girl Crazy, the first one is a long time favorite, although it hasn't been watched in quite a while, I thik Judy is perfect for Fred Astaire, she makes him more fun. Easter Parade gives us Fred's marvellous dances both solo and with Ann Miller and his more comic routines with Garland. Their voices go together very well, I hope Judy knew what a good film she made.

Girl Crazy, apart from Breakfast at Tiffany's I've never watched a Mickey Rooney movie, I still not sure I completely get him but I do get Judy and I do love the soundtrack and Tommy Dorsey. Judy looks so happy and healthy here, before her problems. I'd love to watch more Judy, she's one in a million.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I have a real passion for musicals at the moment. Kiss Me Kate today, I adore the score, I think it Kathryn's, Anne's and Howard's best film. Anne has her best dance numbers and the story is my favorite Shakespeare story and my favorite telling of it, the most handsome Petruchio. Reading about the movie on the imdb, they wanted Laurence Olivier and were going to dub him, thank goodness someone saw sense.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Kiss Me Kate is top, top-notch. My absolute favorite. Can't Get Enough of it! And the score is one of the most sensational ever -with the added bonus of "From This Moment On" for the film version of the Play.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You're all going to laugh at me and say I'm crazy, especially since mainly my idea of a musical is where the songs' words actually carry on the dialog of the story, and this one does not. You all know I'm a C&W fan and George Strait happens to be my favorite C&W singer. He made a movie about 15 years ago Pure Country), about a top country singer whose manager had worked his show up to such a frenzy that it was composed of not just him and his band, but also smoke, confetti, and explosions on stage for effect. Well, he's sick of it and wants to get back to his roots, just sitting on the stage - him and his guitar - and sing his songs. When his manager (Leslie Ann Warren), disagrees, he just takes off after the show one night and everyone goes nuts trying to find him. First off, for a day or two, he visits the aunt who raised him then goes on the road. Being a real cowboy, like Ben Johnson and George himself both are, he finds a job on a ranch where of course there is a pretty girl and the ranch is in financial trouble. The implausible part is that they don't recognize him but after all is said and done, he takes care of business and fixes everything up by the time of his opening at the Mirage in Las Vega, where he just sits on a stool and sings with his guitar. And of course he gets the girl. I've had several home made copies and one store bought video but saw a directors cut on the $5.00 rack last week and couldn't resist it. George never made another movie unfortunately because he's extremely good looking, but he also is not much of an actor. The music is fine though. Even if you're not a C&W fan, George's trade-mark is the slow, front of the fireplace love song. Every now and then he throws in a faster paced song, but most are nice ballads. He's doing something right because two weeks ago he was named Entertainer of the decade. He holds the record for the most No. 1 records including Elvis, which surprised me, and he's a darn nice guy. Same wife, same kids for over 25 years, and owns a working ranch in Wyoming. It plays every now and then on the Country music channel, and even if you are not a C&W fan, the stars and the story might keep you interested for an hour and a half.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

In my mind Kiss Me Kate should have won our Shakespeare competition. It is perfection.
charliechaplinfan

Two Chevalier musicals, The Smiling Leiutenant and A Hour With You both delightful, The Smiling Leiutenant slighlty edges it for me, Miriam Hopkins all buttoned up, being taught by Claudette Colbert to be alluring, I found it amusing that the transformed Miriam smokes like a chimney and not in a feminine fashion, how things have changed. Miriam Hopkins is great as the repressed princess and Claudette adorable as the leader of a female Viennese orchestra. An Hour With You is a reworking of Lubtisch's Marriage Circle, with Jeanette Macdonald and Maurice Chevalier playing a married couple and Genevieve Tobin playing Mitzi, Maurice of course gets to sing Mitzi, in his inimitable knowing way.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Films That Make Me Weep

Guaranteed to make me weep is to see a woman die in the arms of her husband. By coincidence over the last couple of weeks I have watched

Helen Hayes die in the arms of Gary Cooper
Elizabeth Taylor die in the arms of Van Johnson
Nelson Eddy die in the arms of Jeanette MacDonald (twice)
Jeannette MacDonald die in the arms of Brian Aherne
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

I have just watched" Hit The Deck (1955)", a lively song and dance show featuring Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Ann Miller, Tony Martin, Vic Damone, Russ Tamblyn.

A lively story about three sailors being pursued by an inept shore patrol. Also in the film was Kay Armen who played the mother of Vic Damone. Kay had two songs in the movie, a great English language version of Ciribiribin, with the six main characters as chorus, and Halelulia, with an even larger chorus.

Kay is still singing. Here she is at age 92.

Last edited by Fossy on January 21st, 2011, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I enjoyed a lot Hit the Deck, a very worthwhile musical!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

That 1941 version of Smilin' Through is all right but if you want to see the one that will really rip you up, check out the 1932 version with Norma Shearer and Leslie Howard.

There's a 1922 silent version with Norma Talmadge but I haven't seen it.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

pvitari wrote:
That 1941 version of Smilin' Through is all right but if you want to see the one that will really rip you up, check out the 1932 version with Norma Shearer and Leslie Howard.

There's a 1922 silent version with Norma Talmadge but I haven't seen it.
I will put that 1932 version on my wish list. If I had read your comment sooner I would have already ordered it. I blew the budget only yesterday.
The 1941 version is just ok. Magnetism between Jeanette and her husband is minimal. This was the only film they made together.