*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by charliechaplinfan »

moirafinnie wrote:
klondike wrote:I enjoy a good cock fight - north of Mexico, they're getting hard to find!
Gee, that's tough.
mrsl wrote: It's obviously a cock fight and I feel so sorry for that little girl standing next to Flynn. She looks like she wants to shrink into the dirt. How could she be admitted to such a thing, and what kind of father would bring her?
I believe that young lady in the picture is Beverly Aadland, Errol Flynn's underage girlfriend, who began dating the actor when she was fifteen. I don't believe that there was a father present in Ms. Aadland's life during this time, (though the girl apparently did have a doozy of a stage mother), so Errol probably came as close as anyone to being a father figure of sorts, in his own demented way.
I looked at her yesterday, trying to work out who it was, I thought about Beverly but then discounted her because she looked too old but looking again, I think you're right. Not a nice picture though, I couldn't think of a place I'd least like to be.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

Actually, I was referencing duration of years on prime-time series in general, not just single roles.
William Shatner started in '66 on NBC with "Star Trek", did a made-for-TV movie called "The People" in 1970, returned in the title role of ABC's "TJ Hooker", then starred in several seasons of Fox's "Boston Legal", and is currently on CBS as Ed Goodson on the sit-com "[bleep] My Dad Says", as well as hosting his continuing syndicated celebrity-interview show "Raw Nerve".
That's 45 years for old Bill, so I'd say he takes the blue ribbon, if anybody's counting.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

If you count guest roles, Shatner's been on the tube for 57 years. His first IMDB credit is from 1954, when he played "Ranger Bob" on an episode of Howdy Doody. (!)

He's going to be on an episode of Gunsmoke ("Quaker Girl") airing on March 2... the other guest star is Ben Johnson. ;) If nothing else, they had horses in common. Shatner has been a lifelong horse lover and is very involved in horse breeding. He raises American Saddlebreds and Quarter Horses.

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

On location in Monrovia for "I Want a Divorce", Joan Blondell is visited
by her children, Ellen and Norman
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
DIANE BAKER is 73 today

TOM COURTENAY is 74 today

DICKIE JONES is 84 today

CHRISTOPHER GEORGE (1929 - 1983)

JANE NIGH (1925 - 1993)

BRENDA JOYCE (1917 - 2009)

JIM BAKUS (1913 - 1989)

ZEPPO MARX (1901 - 1979)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

It's been nearly 20 years since I saw Tom Courtenay's haunting performance in the little-known, low-budget Canadian film I Heard the Owl Call My Name . . and it haunts me still . .
I doubt I've ever seen a single film role as quietly powerful as the one Courtenay gifts to his audience, nor a script so spare and yet riddled with nuance; frequently, I've wondered if this actor understands the lasting value of what he achieved there, and why it is that this movie has not become more widely recognized.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Beautiful picture of Joan Blondell with her children, she looks the most uneffected, charming and normal of Hollywood actresses.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, it's apparent that others agree with you about "I Heard the Owl Call My Name" on IMDb:

This film was first shown in the United States as a special as part of the CBS television network's "GE Theater" series in December of 1973. It was so profoundly moving and a beautiful and faithful adaptation of Margaret Craven's acclaimed novel, I'm amazed that it did not receive even one Emmy nomination for quality television programming. The remarkable British stage and film actor Tom Courtenay ("Doctor Zhivago") stars as Father Mark Brian, a young Anglican priest sent by his superior (the late Dean Jagger, in a fine performance) to minister to the inhabitants of a remote native American village in British Columbia, where the movie was filmed on location utilizing local residents. What he learns during his short time there (about his charges and about himself) makes for an unforgettable viewing experience. Native American actors Paul Stanley and Marianne Jones give wonderfully understated performances, and Courtenay has never been better. The use of the hymn "Amazing Grace" adds poignance to the music score. Daryl Duke directed for Tomorrow Entertainment, Inc. Highly recommended.

I must make it a point to see it.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Monty Woolley and Bette Davis between takes of "The Man Who Came to Dinner".
One wonders what Woolley was thinking with the waiter's butt in his face?
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

I think he just decided between the brisket & the ham.
(No Bette Davis association intended.)
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Jane Wyman essays some dance steps with daughter Maureen
on the set of "Night and Day"
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Gene Raymond and Jeanette MacDonald return from their honeymoon in Hawaii. June, 1937
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
ROBERT FRANCIS (1930 - 1955)

MARGARET LEIGHTON (1922 - 1976)

BETTY HUTTON (1921 - 2007)

TONY RANDALL (1920 - 2004)

MICHAEL PATE (1920 - 2008)

JACKIE GLEASON (1916 - 1987)

JON HALL (1915 - 1979)

ROBERT ALDA (1914 - 1986)

DANE CLARK (1912 - 1998)

DUB TAYLOR (1907 - 1994)

WILLIAM FRAWLEY (1887 - 1966)

EMMA DUNN (1874 - 1966)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

I howled like a loon the first time I spotted Dub Taylor as the veteran letterman-jock tenant in Capra's You Can't Take It With You . . I even think it was maybe the same year I witnessed Dabs Greer's hilarious swan-song cameo in Bruckheimer's Con Air . . and now they're both gone . . or, is Greer still around? :roll:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

klondike wrote:I howled like a loon the first time I spotted Dub Taylor as the veteran letterman-jock tenant in Capra's You Can't Take It With You . . I even think it was maybe the same year I witnessed Dabs Greer's hilarious swan-song cameo in Bruckheimer's Con Air . . and now they're both gone . . or, is Greer still around? :roll:
Dabs died in his 90th year in 2007. I was pretty surprised when I saw him playing an aged Tom Hanks in The Green Mile (1999), which may have been one of his last feature films. (I thought he was dead already before I saw the movie :oops:)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks