*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mrsl »

I thoroughly enjoyed the Oscar show last night, but am I wrong in thinking they left out a whole lot of actors and actresses who had passed on last year? It seemed the skit was really short and although I can't recall what names there are, I feel like a lot were missed.

Does anyone know?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Can't say I know for sure who might have belonged on the list & wasn't included, but I do seem to recall that there's usually some confusion between:

1) the last full calendar year, and
2) the 12 months between last year's Oscar show, & this year's, which is not entirely the same.
[In other words, motion picture artists who pass between 12/31, and Oscar Night, aren't included until next year's show.]
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JANE RUSSELL (1921 - 2011) R.I.P.
Joseph Goodheart
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Hey MongoII - I did not know that she was still living until you reported just a minute ago that she died. I thought she was long gone - She and Marilyn Monroe were great in Gentlemen Prefers Blondes ... thanks for sharing this information. I really mean it.

I always admired her work in films. Very Nice Picture indeed!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Jane Russell as a REDHEAD

She always glamorous, did wonderful musicals, and command a presence on the Silver Screen with Tour De Force approach.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

LEAP YEAR BIRTHDAY
MICHELE MORGAN is 91

ARTHUR FRANZ (1920 - 2006)

DINAH SHORE (1916 - 1994)
MARCH 1st. BIRTHDAYS
RON HOWARD is 57 today

LANA WOOD is 65 today

ROBERT CONRAD is 82 today

JOAN HACKETT (1934 - 1983)

RAYMOND ST. JACQUES (1930 - 1990)

CESARE DANOVA (1926 - 1992)

DAVID NIVEN (1910 - 1983)

NITA NALDI (1895 - 1961)

LIONEL ATWILL (1885 - 1946)

IDA MOORE (1882 - 1964)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Poor Mr. Danova - til the day he died, I'd wager he could count on one hand the Americans who ever pronounced his first name correctly. :|
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

One of my favorite actors listed here (that MongolII provided) is Robert Conrad ... Star of the Wild, Wild, West. He was sensational as Secret Agent James T. West ... he Ross Martin were dynamite together. That show has everything ...

Drama, Sci-Fi, Western, Romance, Humor, Beautiful Dames, Evil Scientists (Micheal Dunn, as Dr. Loveless), and Mad Men and Women trying to take over USA and the World. I just love that show. It's a classic. Here's a great pics of Conrad, Martin, and Dunn as Loveless below. Big Fan of this Show, I watched every show at least 3-4 times over.

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Dorothy Dandridge and Brock Peters enjoy themselves during the filming of "Carmen Jones"
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A moment of hilarity for Jack Oakie and Victor Mature on the set of "Song of the Islands"
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

. . . and subliminally, an ad for Brylcreem. :wink:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
BARBARA LUNA is 72 today

JENNIFER JONES (1919 - 2009)

DESI ARNAZ (1917 - 1986)

MARJORIE WEAVER (1913 - 1994)

FELIX BRESSART (1892 - 1949)
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Ay, Desi. Always one of my best favorites, and not just because he was smart enough to live in Brooklyn for a while.

I've been watching DVDs of the first seasonof I Love Lucy, which I got as a Christmas present. The disks also contain some episodes Lucille Ball's radio show My Favorite Husband, a precursor to ILL. The radio plays are cute, but not as sharply written as the TV show (although many of the same plots and a lot of the radio dialogue shows up in the TV version). I'm realizing that the main difference that makes ILL so much better is Desi. The character of the husband on My Favorite Husband, played by Richard Denning, is almost completely reactive, rather passive, and exists just for Liz (Lucy) to bounce quips off of. Ricky Ricardo, on the other hand, is a complete equal to Lucy, gives as good as he gets, and is very skillfully and dynamically played by Desi. A very fine comic actor who we should have seen a lot more of but, unlike Lucy Ricardo, Desi preferred running the show to being in it.

Desi's memoir "A Book" remains, to my mind, one of the best of the Hollywood memoirs. It reads as a lot more honest than many other books of that genre, and the man had a very eventful life.

Everybody conga!!

Oh, the white wine with the fish . . . AND . . . the red wine with the meat . . . AND . . . . .
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

love, love, love Felix Bressart. From goofy to befuddled, to wise old friend...What a character!