10 fav Brit actors/actresses best film performances

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Re: 10 fav Brit actors/actresses best film performances

Post by klondike »

Brit Actresses ?

As indicated by my avatar - Charlotte Rampling . .

< < s i g h > >

Truth to tell, I've no idea how good an actress she may, or may not be, I just keep staring at that face . .
From the sweet (Georgie Girl) to the silly (Zardoz) to the sinister (The Verdict), I'm just forever captivated by a countenance I would've chased from Capri to Kowloon . . :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Charlotte still had it as Keira Knightly's mother in The Duchess, which reminds me of Barbara Flynn as Renee Zs mum in Miss, Potter
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

more guys

Leslie Howard-Pimpernel Smith
Kenneth More-Reach For The Sky
John Hurt-Champions
Anthony Hopkins-Shadowlands
John Thaw-Sweeney
Dennis Waterman-Sweeney 2
Peter Sellers-Only Two Can Play
Finlay Currie-Quo Vadis
Bill Travers-Ring Of Bright Water
Eric Morcambe And Ernie Wise-The Intelligence Men, The Reviera Touch and The Magnificent Two
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I forgot one of my all time faves: Donald Crisp.

I love his voice. There are times he sounds like James Mason to me.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

Yes, you're exactly right, Lynn!
I never thought about it before, but there is that similar timbre of rounded, warm preciseness to their voices - Mason's being a tad more nasal, and Crisp's sounding somewhat more palative.
Perhaps our own 'Brit chick', Alison, could disclose for us if that is indicative of any particular inflection or patois from some region, that is recognizable to an Anglican ear, yuh?
{ Little Jamie Oliver there. :wink:}
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

In old age Mason narratted to great effect docs Silent Hollywood and The Uknown Chaplin for UK tv, some of which is on you tube
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm not sure what Donald Crisp sounds like, I'll try to find a film with him in.

My husband is an expert with accents whereas I'm quite deaf to them, so I'll defer to him

James Mason is from Huddersfield, if you want to know what his accent would have been watch a clip of this movie, it's set in Bolton, 5 miles from here but his accent is that of a Huddersfield lad. It's an excellent movie by the way. It's called Spring and Port Wine James Mason appears about 5 minutes in

[youtube][/youtube]

If you want to know what my folks and I sound like you can't get closer than Alan Bates in this movie A Kind of Loving. This is one of my favorite films of all time.

[youtube][/youtube]
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

For what it's worth, I think Charlotte Rampling is a very good actress. She is delicate, and plays on edge extremely well... I find her very brave in her performances. And she's a knockout!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Spring And Port Wine appeared to be the start of great film career for Susan George, but it didn't really happen for her, though she did date Prince Charles. It was also a rare film role for one of Scotland's finest Hannah Gordon, who deserves to globally be better known than she is. Robert Vaughn, who played her ex hubby in The Protectors, in the 70s, clearly had a lot of time for her, recomending her as his love interest for the latest series of The Hustle. Diana Coupland's only other movie of note is Bless This House, thought she was the singing voice of Ursula Andress in Dr. No

Here's a link of Mason the narrator

klondike

Post by klondike »

stuart.uk wrote:Bill Travers-Ring Of Bright Water
Travers did nicely in RoBW, as he did also in Born Free, but for me his best romp ever was in the delightful little film Wee Geordie - which I never woulda stumbled over, except for the guidance of our own favorite Dundonian, Stuart!
And Wendy, thank you for a clear-eyed, non-heterocentric view of Ms. Rampling's roles . . about which I struggle to be unbiased!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Klondike

You may not like this, but as a fan of Geordie I wondered if you might be interested into what happened to Paul Young, who played the wee, wee Geordie in the film. Apart from this clip he also was in a revamped version of Para Handy (very like The Maggie) with Gregor Fisher

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I just scanned this thread, but I didn't seem to see anyone mention the name of Alastair Sim. Am I the only Scroogephile here? (And don't say it's because he's Scottish. Scotland is a part of Great Britain - that makes him British in my book. If you want to limit it to England, then make it English actors/actresses.)
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

me too, Charlie, me too! I love the 1938 version, but Alistair Sim will ALWAYS be Scrooge for me.
klondike

Post by klondike »

I'll second & applaud both of the last two posts . . but then I would, wouldn't I ?!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And yes, Alastair Sim rocks, and that's an understatement.
(Catch him someday in Green Is For Danger !)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Green is for Danger is like Scrooge grew up and became a detective :lol: :lol: