WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by moira finnie »

Fossy wrote:Thank you for that info. I don`t know how I missed the original postings. Perhaps I was a bit stressed out at the time.
Not to worry, Fossy! We have tons of info and threads buried under our more recent discussions here in our communal sandbox.
I'm just glad that you're posting again, friend.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Just saw Lady Be Good (1941). Ann Sothern is absolutely and positivly beautiful in this movie. And she does a lot of singing. Eleanor Powell is a wonderful dancer in this film but too few opportunities. The plot is a convoluted Tin Pan Alley works but it overcomes that with some decent music. It is not a great movie but enjoyable. Again I liked Ann Sothern as an actrss and a singer Robert Young is the male lead along with John Caroll.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
feaito

Post by feaito »

This film features one of my favorite song and dance sequneces: "Fascinating Rhythm"...what a show-stopper!!
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Fascinating Rhythm is an amazing number! The behind-the-scenes view of this number as featured in That's Entertainment, Part III is fascinating. So much work involving carefully choreographed crew all to make it look "simple". Isn't this also the film wherein Miss Powell dances with a dog?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yes I've seen that behind-the-scenes sequence from That's Entertainment III....In fact, it was due to that film that I became aware of the existence of the Fascinating Rhythm number and later bought the DVD of the movie musical "Lady Be Good" (1941). Powell dances with a dog in this picture to the title tune.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You guys made me have to go to youtube to find that number. Here it is for those who haven't seen it.

[youtube][/youtube]

It's incredible! I think I have only seen that last section before when Powell gets tumbled. I am not a big Powell fan, something about her mix of acrobatics and ballet doesn't sit right with me, but I absolutely loved her in the beginning of the number! It's almost Fosse -esque in it's simple moves. I think I have misjudged Eleanor Powell all these years. And the Berry Brothers were great... Now I have to find the dog, which is what I really wanted to see in the first place.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Here's the dog clip:

[youtube][/youtube]

I've been wanting to see Lady Be Good for a long time, but something always happens to my recorder when it's on. I really love Powell in these two clips, she's so much more relaxed and fun than I ever thought she could be!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Jack Favell - I definitely going to make an EFFORT to watch "Lady Be Good" w/Powell ... That dog is unreal ... Thanks for putting a big :) on my face this morning. This one amazing You Tube Clip that you posted this morning :!:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote: I really love Powell in these two clips, she's so much more relaxed and fun than I ever thought she could be!
I always like her better as a solo act, but they kept trying to team her with someone, which never really worked. With that dog as her partner, she seems to have found the right dancing companion. I like her seeming lack of guile and athleticism, though she's not an actress, just a great dancer of a particular kind of routines.

Thanks for posting that. It was wonderful--and, of course, reminded me of this from Shall We Dance (1937):
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ah of course..the Walking the Dog number... Ginger's little fellow is adorable! That big yawn he gives at the end of Fred's song always cracks me up!

I think you are right Moira, Eleanor on her own, full frame, without all the bells and whistles impresses me far more than the outrageous dance numbers with soldiers, uniforms, guns and giant closeups of her spinning head. I am so happy that I chanced upon this conversation, because it gave me a new appreciation of Powell's skills. I'll have to add her to my "they grew on me" list.

[youtube][/youtube]
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Thank you Jack Favell for affirming my move toward reconsideration. I have done that with many actors both male and female. I feel as though I am rediscovering some of them. I guess our moods change as we get older and we look at everything in a different light. I never liked Elanor Powell until recently. Now I want to watch her movies. She is harmless and I can afford to watch her dance without worrying about her acting.
Uncle Stevie

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I heard some "expert" say this was the best dance Fred ever did, with Eleanor keeping up with him step for step. It is breathtaking, imo...

[youtube][/youtube]
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I just saw one of the worst movies I have ever seen. "At Long Last Love" (1975) starring Burt Reynolds, Cybil Sgepherd, Madeline Kahn. I guess it was designed as a spoof on musicals and came off as a terrible Operetta. There were many many song and dance numbers and none of the above can sing or dance. They are commedians without other talent. I was totaly bored by this flick.

Did anyone else see this film and what did you yhink?
Uncle Stevie

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Uncle Stevie wrote:I just saw one of the worst movies I have ever seen. "At Long Last Love" (1975) starring Burt Reynolds, Cybil Sgepherd, Madeline Kahn. I guess it was designed as a spoof on musicals and came off as a terrible Operetta. There were many many song and dance numbers and none of the above can sing or dance. They are commedians without other talent. I was totaly bored by this flick.

Did anyone else see this film and what did you yhink?
I saw At Long Last Love (1975) at the movies when it came out. For the first time in my life I saw people start talking back to the screen, saying very rude things to Burt and Cybill's flailing and lumbering around (I think it was supposed to be dancing). The pair had guts to do this but their self-satisfaction, stumbling in public and lack of talent in this area really was appalling, and made me pity them for this not so noble attempt to sing and dance. (Btw, despite everything, I believe Shepherd still sings publicly in a cabaret style). In the supporting cast, I think Madeline Kahn, Eileen Brennan and John Hillerman were the only cast members who could really convey that '30s style, and sing with some verve and trained skill. The Cole Porter words and music are so lovely and witty, it was almost a sacrilege to see the amateurish leads torturing it. It was a turning point in Peter Bogdanovich's career arc, sending him in a different direction than expected. He has made better movies since then, (Daisy Miller, Nickelodeon, Saint Jack, among others) and his subsequent books on filmmakers get better all the time, but this musical was the height of hubris. What was frustrating was that Bogdanovich managed to rework the screwball comedy in a contemporary setting in What's Up Doc (1972) pretty successfully, but when he tried to recreate the atmosphere of a '30s musical in this movie, he created a lame pastiche, instead of transferring the setting and mood to a time that might have appealed to '70s audiences. It sure made a viewer appreciate the ebullient air and professionalism of Fred and Ginger's RKO movies all over again.

Looking back, I may be wrong, but I remember having a sense that this inept musical may be one of several '70s films that might be categorized as "filmed through druggie haze." I haven't seen huge attention given to this, except in A Decade Under the Influence and Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, (based on Peter Biskind's book), but those docs, even though they acknowledged the sometimes chaotic creative atmosphere behind the scenes, ultimately pointed out that this period saw "the film generation" flourishing and liberating film, particularly infusing genre films with a new vitality--even as the last of the studio era disintegrated and execs with financial--not creative--experience waited in the wings as the new filmmakers rose (and sometimes fell to earth, without much chance of a second opportunity).

(Another movie that comes to mind from the period lacking much cohesion--perhaps due to something going around the set--would be The Fury (1978), which seemed awful from beginning to end when I saw it, despite the talented people involved. If you've seen this one, you know what I mean, though that's just my limited perception as a moviegoer who began to see the differences between classic and contemporary films in that exhausting decade as I grew up.)

Btw, thinking about people trying to revive musicals in a novel way, have you seen Everyone Says I Love You (1996)? The Woody Allen film featured actors who were non-singers such as Tim Roth, Alan Alda, and Julia Roberts singing and dancing tunes from the Great American Songbook in an off-hand, charming way and in imaginative as well as simple stagings. I realize that many people don't like Allen's movies for several reasons, but this one was a pleasant surprise.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really like Everyone Says I Love You, it has little pretense and I find all the performers charming.

Wasn't At Long Last Love the movie in which Bogdanovich tried to stage musical numbers as they were acted out -- danced and sung? I mean, no dubbing, or lip synching, no pre-or post production fixing? I've always wanted to see it, but have hesitated.