I WAKE UP DREAMING 2011: THE LEGENDARY & THE LOST

CineMaven

Re: I WAKE UP DREAMING 2011: THE LEGENDARY & THE LOST

Post by CineMaven »

Hi there Dewey, CineMaven here. I'm getting a gander of your line-up. Looking good. I see you're showing "DEMENTIA" which was on TCM's Underground a couple of weeks ago. If I'm not mistaken, I saw Marni Nixon's name doing some singing.

Hey, with your double-features...are tickets sold separately or is it like we have it here at the Film Forum: getting a double-feature, two movies...for the price of one?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

You got it, CM; two great movies for one low price! And yeah, TCM has run DEMENTIA a number of times, only they present it in its revised format (and different title, DAUGHTER OF HORROR) with that god-awful narration by...Ed McMahon!
You saw right--Marni Nixon provided the singing voice for actress Adrienne Barrett. It's an awesome film! Thanks for checking in, CM!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanx for the reply Dew-Man! ;-)

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

great article, O. And our DewMeister.....WOW!!!! Thanks for sharing. I expect to see LONG rambles here when you return.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Thanks, kids. Here's some more good readin' from a couple of our other local papers:
SF BAY GUARDIAN:
http://www.sfbg.com/2011/05/10/night-has-thousand-eyes

SF WEEKLY:
http://www.sfweekly.com/2011-05-11/film ... cherstuhl/

I think we're in for a good time!!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

FOOLISHLY LATE AND HEARTBROKEN: IT SERVES ME RIGHT!

Hey there Dewey. You've had this thread up and running since April 6th...and I only it saw this Monday.

Well...I guess it serves me right for not coming to the Oasis on a regular basis. Old habits die hard...but this time, I'm the one dying. When I saw "THE NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES" listed, I freaked out. I grabbed my credit card. At this foolishly late date I looked on Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline to see how much of my arm and leg I would have to give up to book a flight to San Francisco if only just to see this film. I haven't seen it in about thirty or so years (and to even admit to saying aloud '30 years' must show the movie gods something!); seeing it on the schedule spurred me into action. Yes, just this one film.

I tried to book the flight, but the message kept coming up that my request didn't go through..."try later." When I tried later (the next day) the price jumped $250. I've done some crazy things in my life, and I was going to put this in the books as one of my crazy things...but in good conscience, just couldn't. So now, this Sunday, while the lovely Gail Russell is being her beautiful glorious vulnerable self up on the big screen and all the Eddie G. admirers are getting their wish fulfilled, I will be here in NY, crying in my beer. ( ...or in my Summer Peach Snapple ).

I am heartbroken to be missing the film festival. You'd think with my recent trip to Hollywood for TCM's 2nd Film Festival I'd be all travelled out; especially since I took the railroad cross-country. But I'm not. After TCM's fest I now know I'll try to travel anywhere for a movie...but I've got to do it with a lot of preparation and planning.

If you could have pity on a poor cine-maven, may I ask you this Dewey? Do you think at next year's festival you might have some films that are "BROUGHT BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!" Do you think you'd be able to screen "THE NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES" again? It's not out on DVD, TCM won't be screening it, and "The Late Show" and "Million Dollar Movie" no longer exist. Do you think you can make that happen if I promise to peruse this very much needed Oasis on a daily basis?

I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the court.

Congratulations on what looks to be another successful film festival for you, your organization and San Francisco.

Your heartbroken Easterner...and fan,

CineMaven. :cry:

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Dewey,

As the song says, "Hold On, We're Coming!"

We can't be there this weekend but Moraldo and I will be there next Saturday for the double bill that includes Ride the Pink Horse.

We can't wait to see you again!

And we are saving the middle seat on the chance that ChiO will have a change of heart and come join us!

Unless the world comes to an end and then, well, we'll all be together either way!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

What change o' heart? I purchased my airline tickets and made my reservation a few weeks ago. Will be there for the screenings on May 19-23. No way I miss THE VIOLENT YEARS and DANCE HALL RACKET on a big screen. The greatest disappointment is that tomorrow night I'll have to watch DEMENTIA on our TV.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

ChiO,

That's great news!!! I think we are going to attend the afternoon matinee so maybe we can grab some food and/or drinks after the double bill!

Here's hoping!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

OK...gotta ask....

Has the Noir World swallowed up Dewey? Will he be there upon my arrival (approximately 44 hours to go)? Is there no Darkness left? Did I miss the party?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I don't think Elliot would want to go on without any of you "regulars" at this great sounding event, ChiO.

Mick LaSalle focused on our Dewey in a feature article on May 11th in the San Francisco Chronicle:

Film programmer Elliot Lavine revels in dark side
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Yes, the Noir World has most definitely swallowed up ol' Dewey! Since Friday night's opening (a total sell-out crowd) through last night's killer combo of C-MAN and GUILTY BYSTANDER, it's been a non-stop train ride! We've never had a turn-out quite like this, and it's been exhilarating and gratifying, to say the least!
I rec'd a call on Monday afternoon from a woman named Dolores Levin, who for sixty years was one of Hollywood's top script supervisors. She was calling to let me know that she was the script supervisor on RUTHLESS, the awesome Edgar G. Ulmer film which plays Wednesday night. Naturally I invited her to the show and she graciously accepted. Making it that much more interesting is the fact that she'll be bringing along Ulmer's grandson who now lives in San Francisco! This promises to be a red letter evening! ChiO - I wish you were getting here one day earlier!! I'll let you all know how it all turns out!
Thanks to those who've checked in; I only wish I could have all of you out here for this incredible fest!!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

When you have time please let us know more. Congratulations and please take care of yourself at the center of the whirlwind.

Thanks very much for stopping by. I'm with you in spirit.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's awesome, Dewey!