Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

JackFavell

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Post by JackFavell »

I saw one episode of DA when it was on and was intrigued. I've watched the first ep on Netflix... just have to find the time to watch the rest now.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

If you liked Gosford Park, you'll like this one.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

No worries, Knitty! Feel free to keep the conversation flowing, please, it doesn't matter to me where it goes. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I loved Gosford Park. I just discovered that the new Holmes series is also on Netflix.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON 1942
BASIL RATHBONE/NIGEL BRUCE

It was great seeing this old movie again ... I just love everything about this movie ... this movie is a timeless classic and shows how well RATHBONE/BRUCE works their magic together. Great dialogue, screenplay, and the the sinister actions of Professor Moriarty, played by Lionel Atwill. Good Score and Suspenseful Music.

Sherlock Holmes Collection Vol. 1 - Steel Tin #1
Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror
Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon
Sherlock Holmes in Washington
Sherlock Holmes Faces Death

Sherlock Holmes Collection Vol. 2 - Steel Tin #2
Sherlock Holmes and the Spider Woman
The Scarlet Claw
The Pearl of Death
The House of Fear

Sherlock Holmes Collection Vol. 3 - Steel Tin #3
The Woman in Green
Pursuit to Algiers
Terror By Night
Dressed to Kill

I went shopping late night ... and stopped at grocery store to pick up some last minute stuff ... I found these movies listed above in three steel tins for $5.00 a piece. 12 movies for 15 Dollars ... What a Great Value!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wow! what a buy! Was it a chain store or an independent?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

knitwit45 wrote:Wow! what a buy! Was it a chain store or an independent?
Independent ... A 24 hours Mom/Pop Store ... that's happen to have them. I walked by accident. Could not believe it.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The modern day version called Sherlock won a tv Bafta last night for best drama, beating out the nominated Downton Abbey. It also won best supporting actor for Doctor Watson. However, the lad who played Eric Morcombe in Eric And Ernie won best actor
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Sherlock was good, but Downton Abbey was outstanding. oh, well....
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I really can't wait for the next part of Downton Abbey to return. Did you like Upstairs Downstairs, Knitty? I was bummed that there were only 3 episodes but I liked the storyline very much--especially the tension between the generations and the inklings of the war to come.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I guess I was busy raising kids when U/D was on, never watched more than a couple of episodes. I am such a fan of Hugh Bonneville. I first noticed him in the Hugh Grant/Julia Roberts film, NottingHill. His was such a hapless creature, totally without a clue. Last night I saw him (again) in the Masterpiece Mystery "Murder on the Orient Express" as the villain's valet. In that, he was very subdued, totally what you would expect a valet to be (I have so much experience in these matters.. :lol: :lol: ) As Robert, Earl of Grantham, he is majestic!

The opening scene of the series (as I recall) is of the staff cleaning the Abbey for the return of the family. It would take an army of people to clean a place like that, and keep it shining.

My wonderful favorite, Dame Maggie Smith, is perfect as the Matriarch of the family. She's veddy, veddy upper class, but in several instances, extremely kind to those 'beneath' her.

Waiting impatiently for the next round of episodes!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I loved the original U/D, but missed the new series.... I saw that it is available at Netflix.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Woman in Green
It was great seeing this movie again on Fox Movie Channel this morning ... I watched this movie before; but this time I wanted to pay more attention to Hillary Brooke because she is simply diabolical and I can see why Miss Goddess like her character as Lydia.
Whom she tries to discredit Holmes at the end of the movie; and did quite unsuccessfully at the end of the movie.

She's clever (not clever enough for Holmes), she is merciless, unforgiving, and simply and possibly the most evilest woman that Sherlock (Basil Rathbone) Holmes ever face in all the Women that graced on the Silver Screen. Now, I appreciate the talents that she has and most importantly she is one of those actresses that we don't talk about much in Silver Screen Oasis. I understand why; but looking at her list of movies in IMDb ... she did another Sherlock Movie in 1943 - Sherlock Holmes Faces Death as Sally Musgrave and also another one (un-credited) in Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror as Jill Grandis ... I did not even realized this until I see her list of movies in IMDb.

By the way, I do have that (on DVD) movie ... Sherlock Holmes Faces Death ... I will watch it this weekend and give you my reviews as well and give you my views on Hillary's performance as Sally Musgrave as well.

I really admire her role as Lydia in The Woman in Green that came out in 1945; to me when I watched her this morning ... I was simply awestruck of her performance and I came away impressed by this. She did a grand job!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

So glad you enjoyed The Woman in Green and the woman who played her (was she wearing green? was that the reason for the title? so hard to tell in B&W, lol)

She'd diabolical, alright, but also sensual and seductive. Something new has been added to the Sherlock Holmes repetoire, I thought when first seeing it. :P

I do like your woman in red in your avatar!
:D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

New Sherlock Holmes Movie Coming out in December 2011

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/p ... cmpid=2628

This article contains a You Tube Clip that is under 3 minutes long and I find it pretty good. The article has a nice write up to it.