Above Suspicion (1943)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Above Suspicion (1943)

Post by moira finnie »

It seems to be a trend on TCM for Joan Crawford to appear with some unlikely co-stars lately. First it was John Wayne, now it's Fred MacMurray.

In the case of Above Suspicion (1943) it is Fred MacMurray appearing opposite Joan with some strange results as the newlyweds sneak in some espionage during their honeymoon in (wait for it...) Nazi Germany. Now, I love Fred, but don't buy him as a scholar at Oxford University for a minute, much less as hubby material for JC . One of Crawford's best co-stars is on the fringes of the action as Conrad Veidt lingers malevolently in several scenes, (it was his last film, alas). Veidt and Joan do not have a script and director as good as they did in A Woman's Face, but reliable Basil Rathbone is around. I read the Helen MacInnes novel that this was based on years ago, but can't remember the plot at all. I do remember that this one gets pretty silly by the end, though there are some interesting moments as the two "crazy kids" discover that Nazis aren't nice.

Btw, Joan Crawford bid her time at MGM adieu right after this movie. Fortunately, she soon opened a restaurant called "Mildred's" that proved pretty popular.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Re: Above Suspicion (1943)

Post by feaito »

I watched this one back in the late '80s or early '90s and I remember enjoying the plot. Nothing out of this world, but entertaining enough.