The Columbia Ranch and More!

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

The Columbia Ranch and More!

Post by Lzcutter »

As strange as it sounds, Columbia Studios back in the hey-day of classic films was located in Hollywood at the intersection of Sunset Blvd. and Gower Street. It's backlot was located over the hill in Burbank not very far from Warner Brothers studio.

Movies such as Lost Horizon and countless westerns and television shows such as Bewitched and more were shot there.

Here's a link to a couple of great websites about the history of the famed Columbia Ranch:

http://www.columbiaranch.net/intro.html

http://silentlocations.wordpress.com/20 ... ch-part-1/

http://www.retroweb.com/
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Re: The Columbia Ranch and More!

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lzcutter ... thanks for sharing this with all of us here. Packed with information and I even bookmarked the three sites for future references.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Kingme,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Unofficial history of Columbia Ranch site is amazing with interactive maps of the back lot and more. Though we live in Sherman Oaks about 20 minutes west of Burbank, MrCutter and I spend a great deal of time in Burbank and are familiar with the site of the Columbia Ranch.

Where the incredibly large and magnificent Lost Horizon set once stood is, and has been for as many years as I can remember, a shopping center with a drug store, small shops (a Hallmark store, sushi restaurant, small boutique, etc), an Albertson's supermarket and a Carl's Jr fast food restaurant.

Rather an ignoble tribute to that part of the old Columbia Ranch.

As noted in the website, a good portion of the ranch is still in use and in addition houses a number of Warner Brothers offices as well.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

Back in the 80's (I'm dating myself...) I delivered mail for Warner Records and got to enter the
Burbank Studios everyday - which was a real kick for a movie buff. I would quickly deliver my
errands and then go rubberneck around until I was needed back at the office.

I never saw Clint Eastwood but his car was parked in his spot most days - the most unflashiest
late model Ford you had ever seen. They were filming BLADE RUNNER at night on the back
lot and the arc lights would light up the neighborhood. Those were fun times.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for posting this thread, Lynn. Those links are rabbit holes from which one might never return since the history of these sites is so interesting. It is good to know where that fishing hole that Andy and Opie strolled by in each show really existed in "Forty Acres" in Culver City. I hope you'll add more to this as you unearth more material.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Thanks for the encouragement, Moira.

I've been on a big web "excavation" the last few weeks in hopes of expanding my thread on historic Hollywood sites to being more of a Los Angeles history through photos. When I came across these little gems I knew I had to share them immediately!
Lynn in Lake Balboa