Old Dark House (1932)

Mr. Arkadin

Old Dark House (1932)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Comes on after the Underground early Saturday morning. Classic flick that hasn't showed on TCM in a while.
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

It's directed by James Whale, who directed Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. It has a great cast, but if you're expecting something as good as his Frankenstein movies you may be disappointed. It's an interesting oddity though.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like "Old Dark House" a lot. It is different from the Frankenstein movies, but it has an intensity that makes me connect it to "Straw Dogs."

The one Whale horror film that I've never really gotten excited about is "The Invisible Man." The first half-hour is good, and then it just runs out of gas for me.

"Old Dark House," on the other hand, is terrific.
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

MikeBSG wrote:The one Whale horror film that I've never really gotten excited about is "The Invisible Man." The first half-hour is good, and then it just runs out of gas for me.
The Invisible Man is bizarre. Sort of bizarre in an interesting way. Sort of. Almost.
KPhelps

Have a Potato

Post by KPhelps »

I Love the lines...."Have a Potato!" & "No Beds! They can't Have Beds!" LOL Oh that is a classic movie. BTW It comes on May 31st. I can't wait.
feaito

Post by feaito »

"The Old Dark House" is one of my most cherished (officially released)films on DVD. I love it's black humor. The cast is flawless. James Whale was really a great director. This film and "Bride of Frankenstein" are my two all time favorite Terror-Black Comedy flicks.
precoder

Post by precoder »

Gloria Stuart is an actress one doesn't see around much unless you watch Shirley Temple movies. Her showing in Whales "The Invisible Man" disappointed me but IMO she's actually quite good in this really odd spookfest ...

Boo !
I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great. ~ Roddy McDowell