FRANK BORZAGE

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: FRANK BORZAGE

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched History is Made at Night again tonight. Why oh why is Borzage not recognised for his greatness by cinemaland in general. Is romance just not fashionable anymore?

Borzage, Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur, when Borzage got a good romantic script and the right cast he managed to hit the spot. Other films I've really enjoyed for their romantic flavour are the three he did with Gaynor and Farrell, The River and A Farewell To Arms amongst others. God bless Frank Borzage.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Alison,

I think the sad part is that Borzage is too good for today's audiences. Romance seems gone today. :(
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Romance might have gone but where too? There are plenty of unashamed romance books in our book shops but they don't get turned into films, it's a pity. Still I can't see our currnt crop of stars in a romantic way, maybe we just know too much about them from the celeb mags, maybe we need the glamour of yesterday. All I know is it's lost to me these days. Thank heavens for Borzage and others who left us romantic films to wallow in.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Romance might have gone but where too? There are plenty of unashamed romance books in our book shops but they don't get turned into films, it's a pity. Still I can't see our currnt crop of stars in a romantic way, maybe we just know too much about them from the celeb mags, maybe we need the glamour of yesterday. All I know is it's lost to me these days. Thank heavens for Borzage and others who left us romantic films to wallow in.
I think you're right on all counts. Also, real romance needs time to develop, and in today's high speed world, we want instant gratification. People are too tired, too stressed- I'm not sure what it is. But in older movies, men and women seemed to take the time they needed to be together. The movies of today reflect the times unfortunately.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

I watched Frank Borzage's This Shining Hour today, starring Joan Crawford and Margaret Sullavan, Joan plays a night club dancer who marries the staid Melvyn Douglas but catches the eye of her brother in law Robert Young and the ire of sister in law Fay Bainter, catching all the credit is Margaret Sullavan in the role of Robert's wife, a thankless role but one she plays beautifully, I did nearly laugh when I saw her bandaged face, it looked like one of my children had done it. The film is well acted and scripted and contains one of Joan's best performances. The only wrong note is Fay wanting Joan back in the end despite everythig she's done to drive her away.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Another Great Thread Here

Here is my 2 cents worth; I have seen all of these movies (list below) associated with Frank Borzage and I'm very impressed by his work in the film industry/director:

1919 ... Whom the Gods Would Destroy
1923 ... The Nth Commandment
1923 ... Children of the Dust
1927 ... Seventh Heaven
1932 ... A Farewell to Arms (my favorite - of his works)
1936 ... Desire
1937 ... History is Made at Night (my latest movie seen)
1937 ... Mannequin
1940 ... The Mortal Storm
1940 ... Flight Command (my first movie)
1943 ... Stage Door Canteen
1946 ... I've Always Loved You

That's adds up to 12 films that I seen in my lifetime. They are all good movies.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really like The Shining Hour too - and again I agree, Margaret Sullivan takes a thankless role that usually would be played by Margaret Lindsey or Andrea Leeds, and turns it into something really fine, touching and beautiful. But you gotta laugh at the bandages.

Robert Young also has a difficult switchover to accomplish. He is quite the mystery to me, good looking but never a star really. There is more to him than his roles usually suggest. I wish his career had given him one really meaty role, like Milland's Lost Weekend.

I also just love Fay Bainter, even though she is so awful here. She is one of my favorite actresses, another like Sullivan, who can play any role from hateful sister in law to shy spinster and you believe her. They are both extremely thoughtful actresses.
charliechaplinfan

I was thinking the same about Robert Young, I like him in everything I've seen him in, why was he not a bigger star? I think he was tagged int othat thankless leading man, dependable who actresses liked because he's professional but doesn't take too much shine off them. He does wonders with his role here, he's a heel but still illicits some sympathy.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's the movie that really got me thinking about him differently, kingrat.

I also read somewhere that he tried to kill himself late in life, I don't know if it was true. It made me wonder about his squeaky clean image as Marcus Welby, and all those movies where he was, as Alison said, "the dependable type".
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Didn't he fight alcoholism most of his life? I love the man, his Oliver Bradford in The Enchanted Cottage is superb.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I totally agree, I love him too, especially in that film.

I just don't know that much about him.... I need one of Moira's posts to clue me in!
charliechaplinfan

I briefly read his details on the imdb, he remained married to his childhood sweetheart and was on the MGM roster until the end of the war, the MGM let him go, he put his alcohol problems down to MGM and Louis B Mayer. His wife stood by him and helped him overcome his alcohol dependancy, it seems he tried to take his own life when the symptoms of Alzheimers got too much for him. He's survived by 4 children.

He really caught my eye in Today We Live.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Alison for clearing that up. I thought the suicide attempt had to do with health problems, but I wasn't sure.