Some Came Running

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Some Came Running

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I apologize if my initial post sounded rude or flippant, I did not intend it to come across in that way. I probably should have used a smiley, but I've come to hate them. :wink:

I see Some Came Running having commonalities with Sirk's 1950's output, but the characters are played straighter and Minnelli's film is not a satire, but a lament of a lost innocence, which never truly existed to begin with. This movie was also made in the twilight years of the Production Code and studio system, which reinforced many of these themes and would soon be gone forever.

We all knew that people didn't really sleep in separate beds, said dirty words, etc., but the Code (and America in general) presented an idealized innocence (think Andy Hardy) that was a comforting illusion to many. Minnelli destroys this facade while mourning its passing, creating a unique work that, while essentially melodrama, does not fit neatly alongside the standard fifties weepie.
Gary J.

Re: Some Came Running

Post by Gary J. »

Mr. Arkadin wrote: I also love Some Came Running, however it should be mentioned that the film is quite different from Jones' book, where Dave is killed (by chance) instead of Jenny, who is a very unsympathetic character.
Supposedly it was Sinatra who suggested making this change in the movie. He saw it as a great boost to his pal MacLaine.