John Ford

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: John Ford

Post by pvitari »

I don't know why they had to commission new art for the John Ford stamp....they could have just used Mort Drucker's art from Mad Magazine! ;) :)

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Love that cartoon, Paula! Where did you get that? Is there a website with the whole cartoon/context? It's a terrific likeness.

ChiO...I'm hoping that neither Welles nor Hitch will be disqualified because I'm dying to have them in my collection. And LUBITSCH. I can't imagine that Orson and Hitch would be overlooked unless they really want to turn the focus to those who haven't ever gotten a stamp. I agree about Wyler, too, Wendy, but who knows what the criteria will turn out to be. I'm very curious!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

MissGoddess, that is from a September 1965 Mad Magazine parody of Cheyenne Autumn called Cheyenne Awful (*snicker*) and it will be up at my Ben Johnson website in a couple of days. :) Unfortunately Ben and Harry Carey Jr. were not honored with a drawing in this parody but virtually everyone else in the cast was -- as well as some people who weren't. ;)

John Wayne and John Ford as you never actually saw them in real life... :) (Though I wonder if sometimes John Wayne had secret fantasies that went something like this...)

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Those are some of the best likenesses I've seen, the artist is great! Very 1960s, too. Thanks for posting them.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I used to read "Mad" when I was a kid. Not only were they some of the funniest things the art and characterizations were always top notch. There was never a doubt who they meant.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hilarious! Mad magazine was great.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

movieman1957 wrote:I used to read "Mad" when I was a kid. Not only were they some of the funniest things the art and characterizations were always top notch. There was never a doubt who they meant.
JackFavell wrote:Hilarious! Mad magazine was great.
MM1957 & JF ... Same Here ... I love them too.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Frank Capra! I bet he's one of the three.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ooh, I bet you are right.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Ooh, I bet you are right.
Looks like I was!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... stamp.html

And Yay! It's another "forever" stamp!

The U.S. Postal Service announced Wednesday that three-time Oscar winner Frank Capra would be the second director honored in 2012 with a Great Film Directors postage stamp.

The first honoree, John Ford, was announced last week.

Capra, who began has career in silent film comedies, earned Oscars for directing the 1934 best picture winner "It Happened One Night," the 1936 social comedy "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" and the 1938 best picture "You Can't Take It With You." Capra also directed such classics as 1937's fantasy "Lost Horizon," the 1939 political drama "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and 1946's "It's a Wonderful Life." His final film was 1961's "Pocketful of Miracles," a remake of his own 1933 film, "Lady for a Day."

Capra died in 1991 at the age of 94.

The "forever" stamp features an illustration of Capra as well as the famed scene from "It Happened One Night" in which Clark Gable tutors Claudette Colbert on the fine art of hitchhiking. Art director Derry Noyes designed the stamp using art by illustrator Gary Kelley, who created the images using pastels on paper. The forever designation means that the stamps will remain valid for first-class postage regardless of any future rate increases.

The two other directors to be honored will be announced at a later date.

RELATED:

Iconic director John Ford, coming soon to your mailbox
-- Susan King

Photo: 2012 Frank Capra "forever" stamp. Credit: U.S. Postal Service
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I believe the post office is currently issuing all first-class postage stamps as forever stamps, rather than with a fixed value on them. This is to cut down on lines of people buying additional postage (1 or 2 cent stamps) when postage prices increase, as well as keeping all stamps in the system rather than making them obsolete when there's another increase.

I love stamps and the post office and hope the USPS keeps on trucking', despite the decreasing numbers of pieces sent through the mail. No tax dollars are used to fund the post office, even though it's a constitutionally-mandated function of the federal government, and the main reason it's having money problems is thanks to Congress, which requires the post office by law to pay into its pension fund in advance.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The USPS quit paying the pension fund in advance two months ago. There are no plans to restart according to a postal employee friend of mine. He says if they had not had to do this, which no one else was ever required to do, they would be turning a profit.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

thanks for that information, i had no idea. i for one am glad, it was a pain buying the make-up stamps.

i used to write letters and post-cards all the time until no one returned the pleasure. i miss it. i still have stationary and still buy cards and post cards but they don't always come out of the drawer.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I love to write and get letters too but it is a rare thing.
Chris

Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

I stopped writing letters when I would continually mail out my laptops and never get them back.