The In-Laws (1979)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

The In-Laws (1979)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Sheldon: You were involved in the Bay of Pigs?
Vince Ricardo: Involved? That was my idea.

Arthur Hiller's 1979 film is still heavily underrated, possibly because of the era in which it was released. While many comedies of the late seventies employed outrageous shock value with profanity, sexuality, and heavy production sight gags, The In-Laws pays homage to the classic era and entrusts its laughs in two fabulous leads, Peter Falk and Alan Arkin, instead of gimmicks. The result is a timeless film that continues to find new fans. If you're in the mood for a bit of family feuding, hit record to find out what the fuss is all about.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on December 28th, 2011, 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JackFavell

Re: The In-Laws (1979)

Post by JackFavell »

Serpentine!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Great movie and laugh out loud funny. Wish that Peter Falk had done more comedies. "Serpentine," indeed.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw it in the theater and have fond memories of seeing it. Should be nice to revisit it.

Meanwhile later that same night.....

I love the way Falk and Arkin work together. Peter is so polite through it all. But the car chase... They made U Turns in front of the same truck twice and the same 65 Impala convertible at least four times.

Got to go Senor Pepe is on.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I saw it in the theatre as a kid, and I didn't know what to make of the movie until about halfway through. I didn't know what the heck was going on - wasn't sure if I hated it or loved it. By the end we were completely won over.

What I liked watching this time is how serious Falk is - when he is telling his stories or whatever he's doing. He talks about giant insects as if they were the god's honest truth, and you get to the point where you actually believe him!