THE LOST MOMENT (1947)

feaito

Re: THE LOST MOMENT (1947)

Post by feaito »

The man who rote the Essay in Spanish I posted the link to, states that Juliana is reminiscent of Roderick Usher (Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher") and I think he's dead right. Juliana sits in her room, like a sort of living corpse, barely sleeping, hearing all the noises that come within the house.

Joan Lorring, who plays the daughter of the maid who befriends Bob Cumming's character, almost disappears from the second half of the film...Besides "Good Sam" (1948) I do not recall seeing her in any other film. Minerva Urecal as the maid is perfect. And Eduardo Cianelli as the priest too!
Last edited by feaito on January 10th, 2012, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

The only movie I know her from is Bette Davis' "THE CORN IS GREEN."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

I haven't seen that version Theresa; sadly it hasn't been released on a regular-pressed DVD edition. Don't know about Warner Archive DVD-R. I did see Kate Hepburn's 1975 version.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I liked the young girl maid, she was just great. I was always nervous for her.
feaito

Post by feaito »

She clearly had a crush on Bob Cumming's character, who was mesmerized by Ms. Hayward's.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

At first I was nervous for him, when he caught her at the door to his room and then invited her in - I thought someone was going to get the wrong idea! But then, I just got nervous that she would get beaten again for talking to him. Or that something would happen to her cats! :cry: :cry:

Altogether a very atmospheric film, and I am so glad you wrote it up! I love that time period in film, the late forties had so many good movies with mystical themes. I love this small genre.
feaito

Post by feaito »

When I saw the film for the first time, I though that her character was going to have more screen time....This film would make a fine triple bill with "Portrait of Jennie" and "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"; Wouldn't it?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, it would. I am always on the lookout for those types of movies, I can't get enough of them!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

When I saw this movie I wasn't overly fimiliar with Bob Cummings or Susan Hayward as James 'The Aspern Papers' but like all of you I instinctively had a feel for The Ghost and Mrs Muir and The Portrait of Jennie. I didn't really know where the movie was heading, which is good in a movie of this kind and Agnes Moorhead's Juliana was so like Mrs Havisham to me, although I knew it was Miss Moorhead I was very impressed with her performance. Susan Hayward who I've never personally rated as a beauty managed to change my mind in this movie, she was ravishing when taken over by Juliana. A must see movie for any fans of the romantic supernatural.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I didn't really know where the movie was heading, which is good in a movie of this kind
I did not know either and I agree that that's a plus in any film. :wink:
Agnes Moorhead's Juliana was so like Mrs Havisham to me,
You are so right here, I hadn't thought about this...In Lean's "Great Expectations" (1946) did Martita Hunt play the role? I'm not sure....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think it was Martita.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Wendy.....I like Martita Hunt...she was a hoot in "The Prince and the Showgirl" (1957).
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Martita is fantastic in anything! I never realized it was her in Sabotage, till I watched it again recently.

My favorite of her roles though, is in Anastasia. She's such a knowing, lively chatterbox in that one.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I love her in The Unsinkable Molly Brown.
feaito

Post by feaito »

She's great in both films...I especially remember her in Anastasia... :D