The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent

charliechaplinfan

Re: The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's still not showing at my local cinemas :(
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Now that The Artist has won 7 BAFTA Awards, your local cinema should really show it!
charliechaplinfan

Not yet but hopefully next week.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Not yet but hopefully next week.
I'm looking forward to read your reviews of this movie ... I have seen it twice and I love it.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

A very amusing video of Jean Dujardin doing auditions for villain parts:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6cddad ... -auditions
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

That was great, Christine. I think I liked his take on Pirates of the Caribbean best--though Dujardin really ought to play Gene Kelly in a biopic...if he can just master a Pittsburgh accent. I read somewhere that when Jean Dujardin was first starting out, he was told to forget acting since he was too expressive. Famous last words of advice.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
charliechaplinfan

I've seen it :D :D :D bt before I review it I thought I'd look on Google to see which Oscars it's been nominated for to read that someone has revealed the winners early and The Artist has won Best Actor, Picture and Director. We'll see you read it here first.

Never has sound been more apparent, it sounds strange but I loved every minute of the soundtrack and sound tricks, I always feel this when I watch a silent movie after not seeing one for a while but it's the first thing that struck me, the soundtrack and then then the crispness of the black and white photography. George why did he remind me so much of John Gilbert? I think he had the look along with a touch of Fairbanks. It felt like Singin in the Rain at first, the premier, the audience outside, the movie felt that it was taking a well worn track at first, advent of talkies and stock market crash but it pulled itself out of that story and went in a direction not expected. I did think Peppy was a bit creepy at one point when she had all his stuff stored in her place, I don't blame him for running away although it was her love for him, I accept that. Much has been made here about the dog being nominated for an Oscar which he can't be so I thought he was in the whole film, thankfully they used him sparingly and so effectively. If it wins no other awards at the Oscars please give it the soundtrack, costumes and cinematography, they were all so integral to creating the atomosphere of a silent movie. I'm glad they used the Vertigo music, pity Kim Novak felt so bad about it but it worked so well.

And I just loved 'Bang' and then the ending. I want to watch it all again. I'm hoping it romps home at the Oscars.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I've seen it :D :D :D bt before I review it I thought I'd look on Google to see which Oscars it's been nominated for to read that someone has revealed the winners early and The Artist has won Best Actor, Picture and Director. We'll see you read it here first.
I'm hoping it romps home at the Oscars.
Congratulations to THE ARTIST!!! YOWZA!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Didn't steamroll as much as expected but cleaned up in the major categories. But they included Doug Fairbanks and Billy Wilder in their acceptance speeches.

Gotta love 'em for that.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Well, I am amazed. This is the first time a French picture won an Academy Award. It's also the first time a French director won an Oscar. Same for a French actor (who doesn't even speak English)! several actresses did but never an actor... :shock: And it all became possible because of the lack of language barrier. Long live silent cinema!
charliechaplinfan

I'm delighted, I really am at the success of The Artist. I'm trying to find out exactly which 5 categories it won, I've managed to find out Film, Director, Actor and Score, does anyone know what the other one is?
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

The fifth is Best Costume Design. :wink:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I'm delighted, I really am at the success of The Artist. I'm trying to find out exactly which 5 categories it won, I've managed to find out Film, Director, Actor and Score, does anyone know what the other one is?
Ann Harding wrote:The fifth is Best Costume Design. :wink:
They deserved it. I'm very happy about all this. :D
charliechaplinfan

Thank you, I don't know why I couldn't find it online, the costumes were lovely. I thought it would have won best cinematography too but perhaps that's asking for too much. I'm just delighted that it did win and win big after all the steam that had gathered behind it, the first thing I did this morning was to find out how it had fared. This is as good as Colin Firth winning last year, better even for this is a far better film.

I don't think there are that many films that have taken best film, actor and director. It's some achievement.